• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cop brings a gun to a snowball fight!

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

He ought to be fired and charged.

Not sure why this has much with "all the training" in the world. More like "all the screening in the world" to me.

Don't like Glock .40's Nutczak?

gollbladder13

imported post

OK, I agree that the off duty detective did not handle the situation the greatest, but...

1 snowball can do some serious bodily harm. Are you going to say that 200 can't? Not to mention the people should not have been throwing snowballs at cars in the first place.

If I were the detective, I would have driven about a block down, radioed for backup, and let them know the situation. He should have immediately IDed himself as an off duty LEO and definitely should not have given challenges to throw more snowballs.

Again, it goes back to the fact that there are many great LEOs out there, but we never hear about them.

Funny how this made the WI OCDO, but the Tosa cop that got ambushed didn't...

gollbladder13

imported post

Video with more afterwards...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAgQKJuriIo

I thought the officer responding to the "man with a gun" call handled it well...

Has the gun drawn (pointing down), recognizes MWAG as a plainclothed detective, holsters, tries to sort things out.

I imagine the guy that was dragged away was arrested for something along the lines of disorderly conduct (OK, I'll admit, I usually take the cop's side in things like this, but the detective should probably also be cited based on the videos provided).

The detective is rightfully assigned to desk duty. Again, I think the responding officers handled it well.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
He ought to be fired and charged.

Not sure why this has much with "all the training" in the world. More like "all the screening in the world" to me.

Don't like Glock .40's Nutczak?
I agree fully, that cop should be fired and chargedwith a plethora of differentcharges.

I have nothing against Glock .40's, just as I have nothing against Cadillac Escalades and H2's. I guess I was just wrongly perpetuating known stereotypes and I would apoloogize if I felt badly about it.

scorpio_vette

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Repeat after me: "We'd all be better off with NO government at all."

black guy driving an H2 (overpriced soccer mom mobile) and holding a gun. he was CLEARLY the one starting the fight.

JUST KIDDING. relax. it's a joke.

I don't believe that the crowd was throwing at vehicles directly. i believe a poorly thrown snowball or one that missed it's intended target maybe have hit his vehicle, to which he responded WAY OUT OF LINE. he could have kept driving. or he could have just pulled over and radio'd for backup (seriously......backup because of a snowball??? didn't we ALL GROW UP WITH SNOWBALL FIGHTS???). or he could have just CALMLY asked what was going on and perhaps informed the event coordinator (if there was one) to check it so as not to hit traffic.

but stopping in traffic and running at the crowd with a gun was EXTREMELY STUPID.
what if somebody would have felt threatened thinking it was another whack job like the fort hood shooting or so many others, and decided to defend/protect the crowd??? would he have been in the right for thinking his life was in danger??? after all there was a crazy man with a gun running at them screaming.

i think that video should be used to show how a very innocent situation could turn horribly wrong. i personally say it's lucky for the officer that somebody didn't take his thread seriously and attempt to defend themselves.

but that's just my opinion.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:

black guy driving an H2 (overpriced soccer mom mobile) and holding a gun. he was CLEARLY the one starting the fight.

I don't believe that the crowd was throwing at vehicles directly. i believe a poorly thrown snowball or one that missed it's intended target maybe have hit his vehicle, to which he responded WAY OUT OF LINE. he could have kept driving. or he could have just pulled over and radio'd for backup (seriously......backup because of a snowball??? didn't we ALL GROW UP WITH SNOWBALL FIGHTS???). or he could have just CALMLY asked what was going on and perhaps informed the event coordinator (if there was one) to check it so as not to hit traffic.

but stopping in traffic and running at the crowd with a gun was EXTREMELY STUPID.
what if somebody would have felt threatened thinking it was another whack job like the fort hood shooting or so many others, and decided to defend/protect the crowd??? would he have been in the right for thinking his life was in danger??? after all there was a crazy man with a gun running at them screaming.

i think that video should be used to show how a very innocent situation could turn horribly wrong. i personally say it's lucky for the officer that somebody didn't take his thread seriously and attempt to defend themselves.

Loud mouthed, Black guy driving a red H2 ??:uhoh: I would have taken him for a drug dealer & and defended myself the second the pistol came out... Your honor, my client saw the gun in what he thought to be the hands of a drug dealing, criminal & he defended himself & the unarmed, helpless people close to him from what he deemed to be life threatening situation.. Any lawyer worth his salt would beat it & you would be found innocent.

AaronS

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:

Loud mouthed, Black guy driving a red H2 ??:uhoh: I would have taken him for a drug dealer & and defended myself the second the pistol came out... Your honor, my client saw the gun in what he thought to be the hands of a drug dealing, criminal & he defended himself & the unarmed, helpless people close to him from what he deemed to be life threatening situation.. Any lawyer worth his salt would beat it & you would be found innocent.

I do not see the mans skin color or the car/truck he drives as an issue.

If I saw any person do what he did, I would have to agree about the response. I would have had to brandish. And if this mad manwould have even started to point his gun at anyone, I would have had to stop him, as best I can. I hate to even think about the court case. I would think, the video should tell the court all that you would need. I am a bit shocked that the people did not turn tail and run. If this guy was a full on nut job, he would have hurt a lot of the sheep...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

AaronS wrote:
If I saw any person do what he did, I would have to agree about the response. I would have had to brandish. And if this mad manwould have even started to point his gun at anyone, I would have had to stop him, as best I can...

Exactly.....the wrong thing to do.....

</shake head off>

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Not sure why this has much with "all the training" in the world.
All LEO are trained as to when it is the proper time and conditions to draw your firearm from the holster. LEO go through constant training and repetitive use.

It is proof positive that no matter how much training a person has there will always be situations such as this one.

With that in mind, if an LEO acts out in this manner and he is one of the individuals we trust to serve and protect; then how can anyone shine a negative light on an individual who chooses to exercise his rights on a daily basis simply because he has no formal training? Especially when that individual never has an incident such as this one.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sorry, if my previous reply seemed a bit PC incorrect , but I called it like i saw it. I work at a "black" night club , and them Drug dealers & packers drive H2's & Cadillac escilades & if their gun comes out causing me to feel threatened mine comes out.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:
AaronS wrote:
If I saw any person do what he did, I would have to agree about the response. I would have had to brandish. And if this mad manwould have even started to point his gun at anyone, I would have had to stop him, as best I can...

</shake head off>
and you prefer to be shot ? :?

scorpio_vette

imported post

oh man i should have never brought up the black thing. that was simply meant as a joke due to the complete coincidence of all 3 items in the video.

IT WAS A DAMN JOKE. the guy could have been white and i would have said everything else i said other than the black joke.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Glock34 wrote:
Sorry, if my previous reply seemed a bit PC incorrect , but I called it like i saw it. I work at a "black" night club , and them Drug dealers & packers drive H2's & Cadillac escilades & if their gun comes out causing me to feel threatened mine comes out.
So, uhm, you're under the impression that, er, the rest of us ..... also ..... work at "black" night clubs and are familiar wit dey rides and gatts....?

Is that it?

Glock34 wrote:
HankT wrote:
AaronS wrote:

</shake head off>
Easy one.

Either/Or Fallacy:

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/eitheror.html

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Glock34 wrote:
HankT wrote:
AaronS wrote:

</shake head off>
The first thing you do is create distance, also known as retreat.

In court you need to be able to articulate the following:

1. I was a reluctant participant.
2. I was reasonably in immediate fear of death or great bodily harm.
3. No lesser force would do.
4. Retreat wasn't practical.

These four things that anyone that wants to say out of jail had better memorize, along with what to say after an incident!!! I know that training isn't required in WI, but I do think that anyone that is serious about protecting themselves and their family (being able to support them after an incident is part of this) should take some type of class that explains shot/no shot situations...