• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cop brings a gun to a snowball fight!

okboomer

imported post

Another sterling example of "cop-rage"? The guy's vehicle gets pelted with a snowball and he pulls a gun???

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wow, it was dumb, he should not have taken the gun out of his holster in the first place, however I didn't quite see him pointing it at anyone (there are some other videos posted on youtube of it). I would like to know what moron through a snow ball at the police officer AFTER he had pulled his gun. It's bad enough he got PO'd at being snowballed (lol, did I just say that?) in his big old Hummer and got out and pulled his gun, but once it's out, you don't know if he is a cop or not and it doesn't matter, you don't pelt a guy with anything that has a gun unless you are trying to get him to drop the gun.

The cop was quite dumb though, an overreaction indeed, and he needs to be disciplined but perhaps not all that much. Some anger management classes that will teach how to take it and shut the hell up would suffice, and perhaps plenty of desk duty and paper work will cool him down.

Someone should have made hima friggin snow cone, or given him a hug for crying out loud....

XD40coyote

imported post

Imagine this was one of "us" and just a little to the south in VA. We'd be cuffed and stuffed and facing assault and brandishing charges, if we were't first shot at by the first responding officer. But a cop can brandish without IDing himself positively as a cop, as a reaction done via road rage stupidity, and the responding officer is like "oh it's you! hey buddy!".

In another vein, imagine if this cop had done this in VA and an armed citizen mistook him for a nut with a gun and fired at him, feeling he was a threat to the lives of the silly young hippies tossing snowballs.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Oh my...:banghead:

I do believe the cop was - um - overreacting a tad bit. However I must point out that both in DC and VA "Throwing missiles at an occupied vehiclle" is a crime; in fact in Virginia it is a Class 6 felony.

So here we have the MPD detective rolling along in a heavily-leftist area, driving a Hummer, the vehicle leftie extremists hate with a passion; he runs into a bunch of twits throwing snowballs in the middle of the street and then two of them hit the Hummer. He stops the vehicle and the crowd surges toward him.

Now I will apply our standard Did he reasonably fear that his life might be at risk?

If, here in Alexandria, a cop's car was struck wih a snowball the cop most certainly would make an arrest. But I do believe the procedure is to hold up the badge with the left hand and identify as police, while keeping a grip on the service weapon.

We haven't gotten the cop's side yet, that will have to wait until he has talked with the FOP lawyers. But I gotta say, these snowballers weren't a bunch of schoolboys, they were young men and, by the time you are in your mid-20s you should know better than to go about throwing snowballs at moving cars.

One more thing: it is possible to accidentally (or on purpose) pack a rock into a snowball; or to pack slush into an iceball; making it a deadly weapon. Just ask Goliath.

In any case the entire matter makes me so glad I live on this side of the Moat.