• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where have all the gun buybacks gone?

Thundar

imported post

This is the time of year when the antis offer to trade gift cards for firearms.Buybacks are a great opportunity to improve one's gun collection. Trouble is that there are no buybacks being advertised this holiday season. Anybody know of a buyback in Virginia this holiday season or later?

pyite

imported post

I have an old .410/.22 over/under Sears rifle with a cracked stock and pieces of one of the hammers jangling around inside. Wouldnt mind if someone gave me 200 dolla for that.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

pyite wrote:
I have an old .410/.22 over/under Sears rifle with a cracked stock and pieces of one of the hammers jangling around inside. Wouldnt mind if someone gave me 200 dolla for that.
I'll trade you a Marlin 22 semi without a firing pin

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Thundar wrote:
This is the time of year when the antis offer to trade gift cards for firearms.Buybacks are a great opportunity to improve one's gun collection. Trouble is that there are no buybacks being advertised this holiday season. Anybody know of a buyback in Virginia this holiday season or later?
How is it that you improve your gun collection through buyback programs, Thundar?

The buyback concept is a good one for the antis. It's a good media story and photo op. Keeps 'em busy. And they don't really hurt my 2A rights. So, I'm uncritical of the basic buyback concept.

I just wish I could buy (legally), before the cops get 'em, some of those old Smiths that a few people bring in...

Buybacks are all over the place. They haven't died. Here's one:

Essex gun buyback program brings in more than 400 guns at Newark churches
By Alexi Friedman/The Star-Ledger
December 17, 2009, 4:25PM

NEWARK -- The two pocket-sized handguns that Al Ponder kept wrapped in plastic and stuffed in his green shopping bag had belonged to his mother, and were decades old.

Ponder always wanted to get rid of them, so when he heard about the latest gun amnesty buyback program, he saw his chance.

newark-gun-buybackjpg-ecf7a494d8d668f8_large.jpg

Matt Rainey/The Star-LedgerEssex County Prosecutor Paula Dow speaks with Irvington Police Director Joseph Santiago as she makes appearances at four locations for the gun amnesty buyback program this morning.

Guns in bag and bag in hand, the 67-year-old Newark resident waited in the cold this morning outside Christian Love Baptist Church in Irvington, to turn the guns in and collect up to $200 per weapon.

"I’ve never shot a gun," said Ponder, who had tucked the .38-caliber with pearl handle and .22-caliber weapons in a closet at home.

The gun buyback program takes place in Irvington, Newark and East Orange, and is intended to prevent and reduce violent crime in those communities, said Essex County Prosecutor Paula Dow, whose office paid for the two-day initiative through forfeiture funds.

By midday, more than 400 firearms had been collected at the locations, the prosecutor’s office said, surpassing the two-day total at the Newark buyback program last month.

The initiative continues today, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., in Newark at Paradise Baptist Church, 348 15th Ave.; and Willing Heart Community Care Center, 555 Martin Luther King Blvd.; in East Orange at Saint Paul AME Church, 15 Sanford St.; and in Irvington at Christian Love Baptist Church, 830 Lyons Ave.

The timing of the buyback program was also intended to spread some holiday cheer, said Dow, who toured the locations yesterday.

Al Ponder said he got that message. "It’s good to have something a little extra in the wallet, so close to Christmas," he said.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/12/essex_gun_buyback_program_brin.html

essayons

imported post

Hank, if you were a Virginian, or had any relation to the Virginia OC community (which one would assume from your posts in the Virginia forum), you would know that private sales are legal between individuals in Virginia and that gun buybacks are a great place for Virginian collectors to camp out in the parking lot of gun buybacks to snag the unwanted firearms before they meet the police department's hacksaws or smelters.

ChinChin

imported post

essayons wrote:
Hank, if you were a Virginian, or had any relation to the Virginia OC community (which one would assume from your posts in the Virginia forum), you would know that private sales are legal between individuals in Virginia and that gun buybacks are a great place for Virginian collectors to camp out in the parking lot of gun buybacks to snag the unwanted firearms before they meet the police department's hacksaws or smelters.
shhh shhh shhh shhhhhhhhhhhh!

He's like Chlamydia; ignore it long enough and it goes away; pick at it and it spreads.

simmonsjoe

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
essayons wrote:
shhh shhh shhh shhhhhhhhhhhh!

He's like Chlamydia; ignore it long enough and it goes away; pick at it and it spreads.
Yes.. If you with to feed the troll - http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum60/35510.html

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

HankT wrote:
ed wrote:
HankT wrote:
Newark, VIRGINIA?

Geez, the response is so....parochial....

I do get a kick out of that. It's very interesting.

The usual genetic fallacy stuff, I s'pose....
That's insulting Hank!
Yesterday you were talking about me augmenting something, and I don't even own any sheep.

Now you're accusing Ed of being parochial....and I'm sure he isn't sick.

Insensitive and rude comments like those are the main reasons our society is in decay.

In fact, it's my opinion that Northern style rudness is the root cause of failed marriages, child neglect, increased taxes, excessive Government regulation and fat girls in bike shorts.

Try and think about other peoples feelings.

simmonsjoe

imported post

peter nap wrote:
HankT wrote:
ed wrote:
HankT wrote:
Newark, VIRGINIA?

Geez, the response is so....parochial....

I do get a kick out of that. It's very interesting.

The usual genetic fallacy stuff, I s'pose....
That's insulting Hank!
Yesterday you were talking about me augmenting something, and I don't even own any sheep.

Now you're accusing Ed of being parochial....and I'm sure he isn't sick.

Insensitive and rude comments like those are the main reasons our society is in decay.

In fact, it's my opinion that Northern style rudness is the root cause of failed marriages, child neglect, increased taxes, excessive Government regulation and fat girls in bike shorts.

Try and think about other peoples feelings.
What about the feelings of fat girls in bike shorts?:celebrate

possumboy

imported post

I've reviewed this and what prevents anyone from doing a gun buyback?

I mean, we can just setup on the corner and offer gift certificates for guns.

Cheap way to increase the collection.

TFred

imported post

possumboy wrote:

You may draw the attention of the feds who would want to label you an unlicensed dealer. I have no source for that opinion, other than a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach for what the feds think of people who buy undocumented guns.

TFred

usaf0906

imported post

TFred wrote:
possumboy wrote:

You may draw the attention of the feds who would want to label you an unlicensed dealer. I have no source for that opinion, other than a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach for what the feds think of people who buy undocumented guns.

TFred
you have to be a dealer to buy used firearms? or am I missing something?

TFred

imported post

cbackous wrote:
TFred wrote:
possumboy wrote:

TFred
you have to be a dealer to buy used firearms? or am I missing something?
No, but that doesn't mean the feds won't sit up and pay special attention to someone who buys a dozen or more in a day. As I said, I don't have a cite, but it seems I've read somewhere that they view a certain volume of sales to be dealer-action. I don't have the time to look around for it today.

TFred

possumboy

imported post

Then how do these people do it? Just because the police endorse it would not make it legal.

If it is not illegal for a church to setup a buy-back program, then why would it be illegal for another organizations have one?

The goal of both is to get them off the streets.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

There's a world of difference between a purchase and a sale.

You can buy all you want (Private purchase) if you were turning around and reselling them, you might have a problem.