• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where have all the gun buybacks gone?

Thundar

imported post

HankT wrote:
Thundar wrote:
This is the time of year when the antis offer to trade gift cards for firearms.Buybacks are a great opportunity to improve one's gun collection. Trouble is that there are no buybacks being advertised this holiday season. Anybody know of a buyback in Virginia this holiday season or later?
How is it that you improve your gun collection through buyback programs, Thundar?

The buyback concept is a good one for the antis. It's a good media story and photo op. Keeps 'em busy. And they don't really hurt my 2A rights. So, I'm uncritical of the basic buyback concept.

I just wish I could buy (legally), before the cops get 'em, some of those old Smiths that a few people bring in...

In Virginia private sales are legal. I just position myself outside the buyback place and offer cash for guns. The best one was the Chesapeake, VAbuyback which was for hadguns only. Got a rifle for $20 and a nice shotgun for $30.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Thundar wrote:
HankT wrote:
Thundar wrote:

In Virginia private sales are legal. I just position myself outside the buyback place and offer cash for guns. The best one was the Chesapeake, VAbuyback which was for hadguns only. Got a rifle for $20 and a nice shotgun for $30.
Please don't feed the Hank

HANK2.jpg

moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot-2.png

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Thundar wrote:
HankT wrote:
Thundar wrote:

Please don't feed the Hank

HANK2.jpg

moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot-2.png
LOLROF !!!!

Yata hey

Scrub

imported post

I just noticed that the article referred to this particular program as an "amnesty" program. What law were these people breaking by having them to start with? I hate liberal media spin.

PS I know this is a bit of a hijack but I just had to ask.

possumboy

imported post

Scrub wrote:
I just noticed that the article referred to this particular program as an "amnesty" program. What law were these people breaking by having them to start with? I hate liberal media spin.

PS I know this is a bit of a hijack but I just had to ask.

In DC - I know this is a VA thread- the "amnesty" was only for possession, not any crimes that were linked to the gun.

So they advertised "amnesty" buy-back, but still ran the serials and would show up at your door if the gun was linked to a crime.

"Amnesty" is generally narrowly defined in the buy-backs.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

TFred wrote:
possumboy wrote:
I've reviewed this and what prevents anyone from doing a gun buyback?

I mean, we can just setup on the corner and offer gift certificates for guns.

Cheap way to increase the collection.
You may draw the attention of the feds who would want to label you an unlicensed dealer. I have no source for that opinion, other than a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach for what the feds think of people who buy undocumented guns.

TFred
You don't have to do background checks to buy a gun from someone :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
TFred wrote:
possumboy wrote:
I've reviewed this and what prevents anyone from doing a gun buyback?

I mean, we can just setup on the corner and offer gift certificates for guns.

Cheap way to increase the collection.
You may draw the attention of the feds who would want to label you an unlicensed dealer. I have no source for that opinion, other than a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach for what the feds think of people who buy undocumented guns.

TFred
You don't have to do background checks to buy a gun from someone :)
OMG - another loophole! sarcasm off

Yata hey

buster81

imported post

Wow.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/12/man-unloads-58-guns-at-compton-weapons-exchange-event.html

Man unloads 58 guns at Compton weapons exchange
December 29, 2009 | 4:39 pm

Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputies expected heavy business Tuesday during the department's "gift for guns" program in Compton.

And sure enough, scores of people lined up to turn in various weapons in exchange for supermarket gift certificates.

But they were surprised at the man who pulled up in an SUV with 58 guns -- mostly small handguns but also some assault weapons. Dressed in a sweatshirt and jeans, the mystery man offered his cache in a nonchalant fashion.

As is the policy for such events, the deputies asked no questions and eagerly took the guns. They don't know the man's name, and the donor declined to comment to The Times.

After unloading his weapons, the man received several thousands of dollars in supermarket coupons and drove away.

"That should feed someone for a year or two," said Lt. Anthony Lucia. "There were a lot of the kind of weapons used in robberies. We don't know his identity. We don't know if he is gun dealer or what. But that is 58 guns off the street."

The Compton exchange Tuesday garnered 232 guns, all of which will be destroyed. The Gift for Guns program has been a staple of the Sheriff's Department's crime reduction efforts in Compton, which has seen a drop in homicides in recent years.

Countywide, the program has taken 5,000 guns off the streets throughout L.A. County. At the Santa Clarita station earlier this year, one person dropped off a 20mm artillery shell and another person left 11 guns, including a Thompson .45-caliber submachine gun, an SKS assault rifle and an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle.

-- Richard Winton and Luis Sinco

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
buster81 wrote:
one person dropped off a 20mm artillery shell ............
Now that's a bad dude!
"including a Thompson .45-caliber submachine gun "

Wow - wonder if perchance it was an original full auto class III and if it was did it really get destroyed? Worth how much $20-30,000?

Yata hey

vt800c

imported post

:idea:I wonder if WE can organize our own?After we 'pick through' what was turned in, turn the rest over to the cops to be destroyed. (They get redit for getting guns off the street)Everyone who wants a chance to pick through donate $100.00, offer people $25.00 gas cards for each gun...(or some other amount) and then watch the people bring the guns to us!

:celebrate

Now if we can find a place to hold it...

simmonsjoe

imported post

vt800c wrote:
:idea:I wonder if WE can organize our own?After we 'pick through' what was turned in, turn the rest over to the cops to be destroyed. (They get redit for getting guns off the street)Everyone who wants a chance to pick through donate $100.00, offer people $25.00 gas cards for each gun...(or some other amount) and then watch the people bring the guns to us!

Sweet idea. A private gun buyback. lol. It would be completely private sales.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
vt800c wrote:

Sweet idea. A private gun buyback. lol. It would be completely private sales.
LOOPHOLE ! LOOPHOLE !!! :p ;)

How would such be marketed to give incentive for people to "get rid" of unwanted guns?

Could we promise to recycle them or put them to good legal use. :)

Couldn't exactly say "no questions asked" as wouldn't want crime or stolen guns.

Some interesting problems would need to be solved: where held?, permit needed?, how much?, working guns or repairable?, and others.

Yata hey

vt800c

imported post

How would such be marketed to give incentive for people to "get rid" of unwanted guns? We tell them we are going to 'adopt them' and give them a 'worthy home'.

Could we promise to recycle them or put them to good legal use. If we get some LEOs to join in, they can add an air of legitimacy to our points.

Couldn't exactly say "no questions asked" as wouldn't want crime or stolen guns. Again, the LEOs could help out there with serial number checks. I'm sure SOME might want a chance on some good, cheap iron...

Some interesting problems would need to be solved: where held?(Maybe a local church), permit needed?(for what..a 'yard sale'?), how much?(Depends on how many want to buy in. we have to make the 'exchanges' worthwhile.), working guns or repairable?(I'm sure we have people who would be interested in both..besides, non-working (repairable) guns are worth less...!), and others.
I'm just an idea guy...the rest is details!