• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you do when you get home first?

What do you do when you get home?

• Clear the entire house

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Turn on all the lights

• Go about your business if nothing amiss

• Never think about it

• Total voters

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
First thing I do is pet the cats. One in particular will greet me at the door always. The house isn't small, but it's all on one floor. It's in the desert but fairly close to the border. If there are no cats greeting... the pistol I carry comes out.Sometimes they're accidentally locked in a closet.

You base your drawing a weapon decision on cues from creatures as finicky and unreliable as cats? :uhoh:

Good luck with that approach...

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
tekshogun wrote:
...however, as I exit my vehicle and approach my entry points, I remain weary of my surroundings and...
Maybe you should consider moving...
I hope you are joking because other than something insanely expensive or unrealistic, I don' think you can come up with any place for anyone to move to that is "safe." All people should do their best to keep an eye out for potential trouble.

wrightme

imported post

HankT wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
First thing I do is pet the cats. One in particular will greet me at the door always. The house isn't small, but it's all on one floor. It's in the desert but fairly close to the border. If there are no cats greeting... the pistol I carry comes out.Sometimes they're accidentally locked in a closet.

You base your drawing a weapon decision on cues from creatures as finicky and unreliable as cats? :uhoh:

Definitely! Pay attention to animals. Always.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

wrightme wrote:
HankT wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

Hank don't know much about cats... or their behavior. They're creatures of habit... and when they 'don't do' something they normally do... there's a reason. Cats are a good litmus test for people too.

wrightme

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
wrightme wrote:
HankT wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

Hank don't know much about cats... or their behavior. They're creatures of habit... and when they 'don't do' something they normally do... there's a reason. Cats are a good litmus test for people too.
Okay, we add "cats" to that list. :)

simmonsjoe

imported post

I responded 4 because there wasn't an adequate option.

I would never clear my house if nobody was supposed to be there and I thought someone unauthorized was. Grab the cell phone and call 911. Observe your house till they arrive.

If I am in the home alone, or everyone else is with me, I would not investigate an intruder, rather I would set up a defensive shooting line and wait. Dial 911 asap.

If there are others home, and not with me(asleep in their beds) I WILL investigate unusual noises/ suspicious circumstances.

I know the police can't protect me or mine, but they sure as hell can go into danger when I don't have to. That IS their job! (To investigate crimes). And it IS protecting me because I don't have to put myself at unnecessary risk.

If you feel comfortable doing all that, good for you. I'm not knocking it. It is a risk level choice that everyone needs to make for themselves. I used to do it, but after consideration stopped.

simmonsjoe

imported post

wrightme wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
wrightme wrote:
HankT wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

Okay, we add "cats" to that list. :)
Cats, although harder to read than dogs, give those who can read them, more information than some dogs.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

tekshogun wrote:
HankT wrote:
tekshogun wrote:
...however, as I exit my vehicle and approach my entry points, I remain weary of my surroundings and...
I hope you are joking because other than something insanely expensive or unrealistic, I don' think you can come up with any place for anyone to move to that is "safe." All people should do their best to keep an eye out for potential trouble.

Dreamer wrote:
HankT,

Here's the problem with your suggestion:

Anyone who is tired of their surroundings should move.

Life is too short...

4armed Architect

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
Snip...
I would never clear my house if nobody was supposed to be there and I thought someone unauthorized was. Grab the cell phone and call 911. Observe your house till they arrive.

If I am in the home alone, or everyone else is with me, I would not investigate an intruder, rather I would set up a defensive shooting line and wait. Dial 911 asap.

If there are others home, and not with me(asleep in their beds) I WILL investigate unusual noises/ suspicious circumstances.

I know the police can't protect me or mine, but they sure as hell can go into danger when I don't have to. That IS their job! (To investigate crimes). And it IS protecting me because I don't have to put myself at unnecessary risk.

...snip
I agree with simmonsjoe on this one.

I had done some facility planning for the City of Santa Ana PD, interviewing most job functions throughout the Dept. about what they do. One comment from a burglary detective stayed with me. He said that burglars can very dangerous like cornered animals. He said if I ever came home and suspected someone in my home, that I SHOULD NOT GO IN and investigate. Very dangerous business - unlike armed robbers who don't mind confrontation, burglars do mind and get CRAZY. He recommended I get the PD to come clear the home.

In the early 80s, I had that opportunity, as I came home from an evening out, to a wide open front door. No cell phones yet, and the PD was only a few blocks down the hill. So, I went down to the Police Station and the front desk officer sent a canine unit right up to clear the house (Small town - less than 10,000). They did that and all was good. Nothing was missing or out of place. All good.

When the things are not right, don't go investigate IF YOU DON'T NEED TO. It can be very dangerous. Law Enforcement Agencies have better tools (especially dogs) for the job if they are available. Now, if you don't want them clearing your house for other reasons, that's a different matter.

ODA 226

imported post

Steve B wrote:
Unless I have a reason, I don't think about it. I have come home to door ajar, THEN, I cleared entire house.
Once, upon entering, Permanent House Guest (wife) thought she saw movement in bedroom to right of door as we entered, cleared house with .45 in hand.
You should have just called the police and let them take that risk.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Unless I have a reason, I don't think about it. I have come home to door ajar, THEN, I cleared entire house.
Once, upon entering, Permanent House Guest (wife) thought she saw movement in bedroom to right of door as we entered, cleared house with .45 in hand.

True.

And.....get a really reliable and intelligent ...... cat.

Could save your life!

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
tekshogun wrote:
HankT wrote:
tekshogun wrote:

Dreamer wrote:
HankT,

Life is too short...
You mean if you're scared of your surroundings you should move. I am not scared of my surroundings, I am not tired of them. There is no place else to move that is safe. even transcendentalists are not safe, hippy communes are not safe, they've got animals and the off chance of dealing with another crazed human being. You should never let your guard down. Life is too short to not to pay attention. I look at itlike driving. I am not afraid to drive, but I am cautious, weary even, of other people. You must always be defensive.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

tekshogun wrote:
HankT wrote:
tekshogun wrote:
HankT wrote:
tekshogun wrote:

Dreamer wrote:
HankT,

Life is too short...
You mean if you're scared of your surroundings you should move. I am not scared of my surroundings, I am not tired of them. There is no place else to move that is safe. even transcendentalists are not safe, hippy communes are not safe, they've got animals and the off chance of dealing with another crazed human being. You should never let your guard down. Life is too short to not to pay attention. I look at itlike driving. I am not afraid to drive, but I am cautious, weary even, of other people. You must always be defensive.

You said you were....

And if you're tired of other people....maybe try a mountaintop in the Himalayas or something...

Or maybe get a cat.

wrightme

imported post

HankT wrote:
tekshogun wrote:
HankT wrote:

You said you were....

And if you're tired of other people....maybe try a mountaintop in the Himalayas or something...

Or maybe get a cat.

Yes, most of us know that he said "weary." Most of us can also understand that he quite obviously meant "wary." Only you are making some 'deal' about it. :p

at least you 'get' the cat thing.....
But, similarly to how most of us will understand what he intended by "weary," most of us will also understand that you are simply snarking, HankTroll

Steve B

imported post

HankT wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Steve B wrote:

True.

And.....get a really reliable and intelligent ...... cat.

Could save your life!
Well, was already in the house (second time). Glance at gun cabinet showed my guns secure. Small house, cleared in moments. No cats! Pug and poodle trained attack dogs!

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

wrightme wrote:
HankT wrote:
tekshogun wrote:
HankT wrote:

You said you were....

Or maybe get a cat.

Yes, most of us know that he said "weary." Most of us can also understand that he quite obviously meant "wary." Only you are making some 'deal' about it. :p

at least you 'get' the cat thing.....
But, similarly to how most of us will understand what he intended by "weary," most of us will also understand that you are simply snarking, HankTroll

:lol: BWAAAHAHAHAAA!

Thanks for the correction, wrightme. I figured the context of the original sentence was clear enough.