• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you do when you get home first?

What do you do when you get home?

• Clear the entire house

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Turn on all the lights

• Go about your business if nothing amiss

• Never think about it

• Total voters

rmansu2

imported post

I ask because, I found myself clearing my house Friday night after dinner with the family. I got home ahead of my wife and it was about 10:00. No reason to think anything was wrong but, my subconscious had me walk through the whole house room to room and even the bathrooms. After I finished I realized this is actually fairly normal for me to "tactically" clear the entire house before I settle in.

How many people out there do something similar or never even think about it?

Sheepdawg

imported post

I never think of it because I have a security system. If I open the door and the lady in the wall tells me "disarm system now", I can pretty much assume that no one is in the house.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

rmansu2 wrote:
I ask because, I found myself clearing my house Friday night after dinner with the family. I got home ahead of my wife and it was about 10:00. No reason to think anything was wrong but, my subconscious had me walk through the whole house room to room and even the bathrooms. After I finished I realized this is actually fairly normal for me to "tactically" clear the entire house before I settle in.

How many people out there do something similar or never even think about it?

That seems like a lot of work. And it seems kind of, uhm, random.

What kind of security system do you have, if any?

Do you have windows and doors that are easy to gain entry through?

Steve B

imported post

Unless I have a reason, I don't think about it. I have come home to door ajar, THEN, I cleared entire house.
Once, upon entering, Permanent House Guest (wife) thought she saw movement in bedroom to right of door as we entered, cleared house with .45 in hand.

jadedone4

imported post

I turn off the alarm system, check the entry-points; and ask the dog if earned the Kibble and Bit's today...

If you get by the alarm and the dog... then I am looking to trade up from the pistol to the shotgun with some nasty ammo....

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Unless something is not right, I don't worry about it. I am carrying as I enter through the garage. I have cleared the house before if I come in and find something out of place.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

That depends, so I voted for clearing the entire house and going about my business.

If security has been compromised then I check it out carefully. I get a call within a minute if the alarm is tripped for any reason. I even get calls for low battery warnings.

If the security has not been compromised, then I go about my business; however, as I exit my vehicle and approach my entry points, I remain weary of my surroundings and anyone that may be around.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
Second nature for me to do that at one time. I live in a small cabin now.....can see all in an instance.:dude:
I live in a small cabin in the woods, too. Now, If I was to come home and find the door ajar or a window broken, I'd holler that if anyone is still inside they're dead meat.:cuss:

Dreamer

imported post

I used to be in the habit of clearing the house every time I came home, when I lived alone in a dicey neighborhood in Martinsburg WV. It was an OLD house in a dodgy part of town, with no security system, and the doors and windows were not the most secure, being over 80 years old for the most part...

When we (my sweety and I) lived in Fayetteville NC, I would only do it if we came home and something was amiss, like a door was unlocked, or a window was open. In every case it was usually because she left something unsecured.

In Washington NC, we have a home in a secluded but watchful neighborhood. Never had an incident, and although it took a while, I finally got the wife and daughter "trained" to lock up whenever they went out or were "home alone".

Only two times have I "cleared" this house. The first time my sweety was working days, and I was working nights (and the daughter hadn't moved back in yet). I came home from work one morning, and my sweetie's car was gone (she was at work), but the front door was slightly ajar. I was CC (because i was just getting off work), and coming up the front stairs of the porch, I noticed the door. I immediately unholstered, and proceeded to "clear" the entire house--three floors consisting of 3 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, closets, and garage. Finding nothing amiss, I went about the rest of my morning...

The second time, I came home from work (wife was at work, daughter was still asleep, I thought). The daughter's car was in the drive, but I noticed again that the front door was slightly open, and the lights and TV were all still on. From my vehicle, I attempted to call my daughter on my cell phone, but there was no answer, so I unholstered, and carefully entered the house. I called her name and asked if everything was OK (her room is on the second floor) and she answered everything was OK. Then I walked up the stairs (still in a low-safe grip) and she looked out from under her quilt to see me. She didn't see my gun, but she could tell by the look on my face that something was not right. I re-holstered, and then she realized she'd left the front door unlocked and the TV on, and she apologized...

As it turns out, my training with my daughter (who is 24 years old) has worked out well. One night, when I was at work and she was alone at home, a loud noise woke her up at about 3am. She kept a big chef's knife in her bedroom, but this noise was loud enough that she decided she needed something more "persuasive", so she ran into the Master bedroom and got the Mossberg from it's secure location. I keep it with 6 in the tube, but none in the chamber (so you HAVE to rack it to use it--it's safer that way, and that way you KNOW the BG's hear it!) She racked on into the chamber, and then sat in the master bedroom (behind cover!) for about a half hour listening, with her cellphone in her hand and the Mossy on her lap. After she decided there wasn't anyone in the house, she took the Mossberg and "cleared" the house with the attached flashlight, then put it back in the Master bedroom. As soon as I came home, she told me what had happened and I cleared the unfired cartridge from the chamber. We later determined that one of the cats had knocked a stack of boxes over in the pantry. We talked about her reaction, and how well she handled it. I told her the only thing she could have done better was to call ME as soon as she had the shotgun in her hands. But I was VERY proud that she did everything else "by the book" and didn't just rush through the house looking for whatever made the noise, or didn't just hide in her room, unarmed. I was very proud of her....

Moral of the story: Don't mess with Dreamer's house. There is someone home 24/7 (some of us work shift, some are students), and we are ALL armed, trained, vigilant, and NOT willing to be "good little victims"--even my 100lb, 24-year-old art-student daughter... ;)

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

My vote was "Do nothing"

If I was forced to live in an area where I felt it necessary to check my house for intruders everytime I got home, I would consider moving to a better area.

Oh wait. I did!! I moved back to the northern most reaches of WI.
I do not even know where we put the keys to the house after we closed on it. I don't think the other half knows where the keysare either. And we leave or keys in our trucks so we do not lose them,with the doors unlocked.

When I pull in the drive, Isee our 2 loud-mouthed German Shepherds staring at me out of the kitchen window. (they are pictured in my avatar) I would almost feel sorry for the foolish person that would bestupid enough to try and gain entry into our home without me asa chaperon.
They would most likely be shredded by these two pooches. if they happen to make it past the dogs, then they got my GF to deal with and she is friggin surgeon withher 20GA,

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

tekshogun wrote:
...however, as I exit my vehicle and approach my entry points, I remain weary of my surroundings and...
Maybe you should consider moving...

Dreamer

imported post

HankT,

Here's the problem with your suggestion:

In "bad" neighborhoods, the really lazy criminals (or one's without cars) prey on the "locals".

In "good" neighborhoods, the more crafty and motivated criminals know that THAT is where all the "good loot" is, like big-screen TV's good stereo gear, jewelry, and firearms.

Living in a "good" neighborhood actually makes you a target (especially in bad economic times), because the BGs who are more crafty and motivated will be more willing to make an effort to come to where the really good loot is located...

Hence the increase in "home invasions" in upscale neighborhoods all over the country lately.

BG's don't kick in the doors at the "projects" very often because they aren't interested in K-Mart-quality stereos and 18" Sylvania CRT TVs. They're going to go where the quality schwag is located--and that means "nice" neighborhoods...

When times get hard, the roaches stray farther from home to feed...

jeeper1

imported post

If I come home and my cats (they are afraid of strangers) don't greet me then I would clear the house.

midnight61

imported post

kito109654 wrote:
I don't "clear" the house with my pistol drawn but I do take a look in each room if I come home to an empty house.
Same here. I don't "tactically sweep" the house, but I do a walk through when I get home. Having a dog helps and she would signal if something is amiss.

okboomer

imported post

I'm like Dreamer, Nutzak, and Jeeper1 ... either someone is home at all times (hey, we spent all that money on our electronics, why go anywhere else :cool:), or there are 4 footed warning systems,and the house is a 75 year old craftsman that you cannot get into without doing very obvious damage, and we live in such a small town, that until I went into the bonding/pi business, we left keys in vehicles, doors open, etc.

Even now, I still leave the doors open at night when it is nice. But I also keep night lights on in the house, so it does look like someone is up late at night, which is also very possible depending on our current schedules. Basically, while my house is very friendly-looking to people who are invited, it is very unpredictable whether someone is up and about if BG is casing the joint.

Also, my pound puppy takes his guard duties very seriously and I get up and acknowledge him every time he barks. My dog is also the only one on the block that the neighbors actually listen to and check their property when he gets going ... he has a different bark when someone is in the alley as opposed to walking by on the street or actually on my property. Ain't nothing like the loyalty of a rescue dog :celebrate

Now, when I lived in a metro, I would clear the house every time I came home as I didn't have an alarm and was a single mother with a young daughter.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

First thing I do is pet the cats. One in particular will greet me at the door always. The house isn't small, but it's all on one floor. It's in the desert but fairly close to the border. If there are no cats greeting... the pistol I carry comes out.Sometimes they're accidentally locked in a closet.