• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Violence Policy Center Makes It Up as They Go Along — Again

FunkTrooper

imported post

Wow even if those are real which I doubt, that statistic is so minuscule when you throw it against others like Diabetes which according to the cdc killed over 70,000 people in a year. Perhaps we should only allow a very limited drive through eating license and cut down on the fast food permits to anyone but government employees.

Dreamer

imported post

Let's see the statistics for mass murders, murder/suicides, and single murders commited by LEO's...

Or those same categories committed by registered Democrats, or people who are members of PETA, or people who subscribe to Sports Illustrated, the Washington Post, or Cable TV, or Budweiser drinkers, or people who drive Toyota's...

Associating a crime with membership in an organization or inclusion in a certain activity is bad research. Association DOES NOT prove causality. This is one of the FIRST things you learn when you study Statistics and research Methods.

Either these groups missed that part of class, or they KNOW how do do proper research and analysis, but are instead, INTENTIONALLY providing false information to the public.

You do the math...

nova

imported post

How many of those LEOs were killed by someone who at one time in their life once held a CHP? How many private citizens killed where criminals where the CHP holder was shooting in defense of life? How many people have been killed by people without CHPs compared to with?

Yeah you won't find the answer to those questions on their site...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Facts and figures to "prove" a preselected flawed conclusion does NOT make honest testimony or reporting.

Wonder how many of them drove pickup trucks and answered to Bubba. :p

Yata hey

fully_armed_biker

imported post

To quote Mark Twain:

Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
- Mark Twain's Own Autobiography: The Chapters from the North American Review

sudden valley gunner

imported post

They want to disarm us so that the violent criminals have free reign, hence the name Violence Policy Center.

They really are grasping at straws with this argument.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I ask this question, How many police officers were killed by people with Tattoo's,

Does this mean that a Tattoo makes someone a murderous menace to society and should also be outlined by the VPC?

These anti-right people are all mentally-ill, but instead of seeking treatment for their mental problems they try to recruit people to believe in their own false reality.

I wonder if any of these anti-firearm people has eve had their bacon saved by an armed citizen, and if they realized their mental illness after the fact.

ChinChin

imported post

Number of young Filipino boys sodomized by Violence Policy Center members: 014
Number of babies sacrificed to the dark lord by Violence Policy Center members: 006
Number of radical Muslim terrorists financed by Violence Policy Center members: 025
Number of puppies kicked by Violence Policy Center members: 014

See, I can do it too! It's easy to post completely made up and nonsensical trite with absolutely no factual base and make it look all official.

Of course by Filipino boys sodomized we REALLY mean alcoholic drinks consumed. By babies sacrificed to the dark lord we mean tobacco products used. By radical Muslim terrorists we really mean honest charities, puppies kicked should really mean car fender benders accidents.

simmonsjoe

imported post

I find it odd that the VPC(Brady) needs falsely appear neutral in order to mislead people. Meanwhile pro-liberty papers and data is open about the fact we are biased, but attempt to use objective information/numbers.

If you are on the fence on an issue, I would think it obvious that honesty is valued and trusted more by people than suspicious behavior.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
I find it odd that the VPC(Brady) needs falsely appear neutral in order to mislead people. Meanwhile pro-liberty papers and data is open about the fact we are biased, but attempt to use objective information/numbers.

If you are on the fence on an issue, I would think it obvious that honesty is valued and trusted more by people than suspicious behavior
There is evidence that a form of mental illness, a paranoia, exists in people who fear inanimate objects, transfer their fear to others and believe the can relieve those fears by eliminating the object from the world.

It doesn't work that way! They will find another object to fear. They can only feel sane when the are properly bent/warped. Crazy isn't it?

Yata hey

rmansu2

imported post

Here's what tells it all. This is supposedly a study with honest figures yet,
"the actual numbers are most likely far higher".

How does that make any since?

mahkagari

imported post

Are these folks trying to suggest that if there were no CHPs then 107 people would not have died?

RebelHell

imported post

mahkagari wrote:
Are these folks trying to suggest that if there were no CHPs then 107 people would not have died?

That's exactly what they are trying to insinuate. 16,137 Murders in the US in 2004, 66% of which were committed with a firearm. So...10,650 murders were committed with a firearm. So 1% of murders with a firearm was committed by CCH holders (assumingsimilar numbers for recent years). BUT WAIT...their research is from 2007 to present so that brings that percentage down to less than .5%. THOSE MURDEROUS CCW HOLDERS! :quirky

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/offenses_reported/violent_crime/murder.html

simmonsjoe

imported post

RebelHell wrote:
mahkagari wrote:

That's exactly what they are trying to insinuate. 16,137 Murders in the US in 2004, 66% of which were committed with a firearm. So...10,650 murders were committed with a firearm. So 1% of murders with a firearm was committed by CCH holders (assumingsimilar numbers for recent years). BUT WAIT...their research is from 2007 to present so that brings that percentage down to less than .5%. THOSE MURDEROUS CCW HOLDERS! :quirky

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/offenses_reported/violent_crime/murder.html
Does anyone know how that relates to the non-CHP population? What percentage of persons without CHP's commit murder?

SAvage410

imported post

OK -- just for grins, let's assume that the VPC's numbers are legit (I said assume folks :)).

I've heard Philip Van Cleave, VCDL president, state that there are approximately 6 million concealed cary permit holders in the US. 107 murders divided by 6 million is 0.00178333%. So we have 17 thousandths of one percent of permit holders who have "done a bad thing".

Per the FBI, there were 14,180 murders in 2008 (source: http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/offenses/expanded_information/homicide.html)

In 2008, the estimated US population was 304,374,846 (source: http://www.census.gov/popest/national/files/NST_EST2009_ALLDATA.csv).

The national "homicide percentage" then, is 0.00465873%. Comparing the two numbers, we find that the "CHP homicide rate" is 38.2793% (Say 38.3% for grins) of that of the overall rate for the US as a whole.

Granted, murder is tragic, without question; still, it does not seem to me that we have a raging epidemic here, and especially not with CHP holders. Comments?