• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Sound OC Report........

OrangeIsTrouble

Well....if you don't have a good belt to attach a holster to put your firearm in to walk around with then you cannot walk around with a firearm in a holster on your belt and come home and post in the SS OC report thread!

amlevin

Don't mean to be a buzz kill, but what does a belt have to do with SS OC report?

Do you have a badge?

thread_police_badge.jpg

Anthony.L

First I would like to thank everyone in this thread. I got my CPL back in April and have been CCW since then. However I never imagined actually open carrying. Well I've been lurking in this thread since April and watching how many people have no issues. Especially people from my same area (Federal Way). As a result I open carried all day today, my first.

Glock 27 EXO in Serpa w/ paddle. 10+1, loaded and ready to go. Today I was super casual, shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops.

QFC (Northshore Tacoma/Fed Way) - Went in and got some lunch, walked strong side by several employees, nobody cared.

Surplus Ammo & Arms (Lakewood) - Of course, no issues here. In fact quiet the opposite, the person I bought my G27 from noticed it and was excited to see me carrying. This personal attention is why I shop here.

Taco Bell (Federal Way) - Walked in, ordered a burrito, waited for it. No issues.

Wholesale Sports (Federal Way) - Walked around looking at a few things. Went to the gun counter and checked out a few pistols. I noticed the guy at counter take note of my sidearm, but zero comments. Was very helpful and nice, they always are.

The next two really aren't South Sound but mention anyways. Left Fed Way towards Eastern WA.

Chevron (North Bend) - VERY busy gas station along I-90 heading out of Seattle, tons of people/families/etc. Nobody cared including the ladies working the counter.

Village Pizza (Rosyln) - Stopped for dinner, was in the small single dinning room for an hour. Nobody cared.

All in all a very uneventful day. I honeslty think most people don't even pay enough attention and notice.

Last edited:

Drazhar Rakarth

Cherry Day!

First I would like to thank everyone in this thread. I got my CPL back in April and have been CCW since then. However I never imagined actually open carrying. Well I've been lurking in this thread since April and watching how many people have no issues. Especially people from my same area (Federal Way). As a result I open carried all day today, my first.

Glock 27 EXO in Serpa w/ paddle. 10+1, loaded and ready to go. Today I was super casual, shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops.

QFC (Northshore Tacoma/Fed Way) - Went in and got some lunch, walked strong side by several employees, nobody cared.

Surplus Ammo & Arms (Lakewood) - Of course, no issues here. In fact quiet the opposite, the person I bought my G27 from noticed it and was excited to see me carrying. This personal attention is why I shop here.

Taco Bell (Federal Way) - Walked in, ordered a burrito, waited for it. No issues.

Wholesale Sports (Federal Way) - Walked around looking at a few things. Went to the gun counter and checked out a few pistols. I noticed the guy at counter take note of my sidearm, but zero comments. Was very helpful and nice, they always are.

The next two really aren't South Sound but mention anyways. Left Fed Way towards Eastern WA.

Chevron (North Bend) - VERY busy gas station along I-90 heading out of Seattle, tons of people/families/etc. Nobody cared including the ladies working the counter.

Village Pizza (Rosyln) - Stopped for dinner, was in the small single dinning room for an hour. Nobody cared.

All in all a very uneventful day. I honeslty think most people don't even pay enough attention and notice.

First things first - WELCOME TO OCDO and Open Carry! I THOUGHT I saw a unicorn at QFC NorthShore while I was working today! You also took quite a trip today. Glad NOTHING happened! This was a great first post and again welcome!

amlevin

I keep hearing of these Concealed weapon permit badge. Where are people getting them and are they legal. Couldnt wearing a badge be construed as impersonating an officer?

Not all bad ideas are illegal (yet). As to where? Just google. Lots of badge companies sell them. Some will even make you a custom model.

IMHO wearing one could be provide an officer reasonable grounds for a stop.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I keep hearing of these Concealed weapon permit badge. Where are people getting them and are they legal. Couldnt wearing a badge be construed as impersonating an officer?
Here is one source:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=777436

But to most of us it is only a source of amusement. Like military intelligence it is an oxymoron. If I could find one cheaper I would get one just for the fun of it.

dadada

I don't think it would be considered impersonating an officer any more than a security guard wearing a uniform that looks similar to a police uniform. As long as they don't have some sort of law enforcement term, ie Police, Sherriff, Detective, etc... then they're ok. Dog the bounty hunter and his crop of wanabee's all wear "bounty hunter" badges.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Welcome to OCDO! Welcome to South Sound OC!
I carry at the two bolded places all the time. I have been for the last couple of years, with absolutely no issues. It is nice to have the lurkers come out, congrats!

Drazhar Rakarth

OC

I was carrying in my rig being as my holster, my other sidearm, and my serpa are with a good friend that is taking care of them for me until they sell.

7-11 on Bridgeport / 108th. Alex the employee asked what I was carrying and we had a GREAT conversation. I gave him a few gun websites to check out for his wanting to buy a few.

A Friend's house, and visiting family - It's nice to know my friends don't care. I was even told "I hardly notice because of how safe and non chalant you are about carrying. It's just natural now."

A special thank you to M1Gunr for going above and beyond in my situation to be a friend! I'll come see you this week Bill. Thank you again!

Schlepnier

Had a 40K tourney at the game matrix in lakewood/tacoma i showed up later since i was not playing in it and low and behold one of the players had a shoulder rig with a 1911 in plain view, it was a hot day and he had permission to OC before 9pm by management so he could loose his jacket.

He was not familiar with OC in WA or with out beloved OCDO so i infomred him of a few things before he left. for a while there 3 of us in the store were in OC mode and i over-heard one comment from a guy who had his son playing in the tourney being somewhat concerned about "a guy with a gun over there" i didn't have any pamphlets on me but i did inform him about the legallity of open carry. and his only repsonce was pretty typical "i'm not used to seeing it".

So now mabey he will be enlightened
:banana:

Drazhar Rakarth

OC - Jack in the Box (84th / South Tacoma Way) I was in there a good 10 minutes and had a few views and great comments. no issues

The Game Matrix - Diana was present as well (Owner's wife) and no issues. I was there from about 4 until 5am.

I tend to agree. This place really made a change for the good! Kudos to Chris and Crew! And Kudos to you for Oc'ing and informing the public. That's what OCDO is all about!

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Mt Rainer National Park

The family and I went to Mt Rainer National Park on Saturday.

We started out on Hwy 410 up to Sunrise Ranger Station and Visitor Center. I took note that there were signs posted outside the visitor center and ranger station as I expected. Additionally, signs were posted at each trail head which I ignored (these should probably be removed given Feb 2010 change, I had a printout and nps.gov site bookmarked with park rules/regs). We took a hike up the hill at Sunrise, enjoyed the views and took some pictures.

We stopped at several waterfalls (the wife loves them) and worked our way over to Paradise (where it was packed!). There was some wildlife including foxes and deer. The deer was tame, I got within 5 feet of him. We ended the evening outside of Paradise at the National Park Inn where we had a steak dinner (which was over priced and over cooked).

Overall, we had a great day without any issues.

Pictures attached.

Attachments

• CoreyFamMtRainer.jpg
    CoreyFamMtRainer.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 197
  • CoreyMtRainer.jpg
    CoreyMtRainer.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 186
  • MtRainer.jpg
    MtRainer.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 170
  • MtRainerNoFirearms.jpg
    MtRainerNoFirearms.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 200
  • MtRainerWildlife1.jpg
    MtRainerWildlife1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 174
  • MtRainerWildlife2.jpg
    MtRainerWildlife2.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 176

tombrewster421

Various stops throughout the last week to include various Starbucks stores, Red Robin, Sportsmans Wherehouse, massage therapist, WAC show, Wal-Mart, Pacific Welding supply, Young's Teriyaki, Fred Meyer, South Hill Rare Coin, Harbor Freight Tools, and Home Depot.

Only issue was made at the Lacey Costco. The only location I've been to that seems to have an issue. They immediately told me there were no guns allowed in the store so I asked for a written policy. They said they would have it for me after I came back in from putting it in the car. For some reason they were unable to locate it and so they gave me a number to call instead. I don't know why they can't just be honest and say that they're making their own policy instead of lying and saying that there is a corporate one, when there clearly is not. Still haven't had the time to call the number to clear things up.

Last edited:

amlevin

Various stops throughout the last week to include various Starbucks stores, Red Robin, Sportsmans Wherehouse, massage therapist, WAC show, Wal-Mart, Pacific Welding supply, Young's Teriyaki, Fred Meyer, South Hill Rare Coin, Harbor Freight Tools, and Home Depot.

Only issue was made at the Lacey Costco. The only location I've been to that seems to have an issue. They immediately told me there were no guns allowed in the store so I asked for a written policy. They said they would have it for me after I came back in from putting it in the car. For some reason they were unable to locate it and so they gave me a number to call instead. I don't know why they can't just be honest and say that they're making their own policy instead of lying and saying that there is a corporate one, when there clearly is not. Still haven't had the time to call the number to clear things up.

Why not just print out a copy of their Membership Brochure that's been posted here a couple of times. Rather than asking for them to show you, just show THEM what their Corporation distributes to the Members.

There is NO prohibition of firearms anywhere in the document.