• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Sound OC Report........

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...It's always the kids, right? Anyways, I could kinda tell that he was a bit nervous, so I turned to him and said, insert very kind voice, "Yup, that's my gun. *Smiling Proudly* Would you like to see it? You can come and look at it but don't touch it." He went from nervous to excited and intrigued so fast, I think it even suprised his mom. He asked me what kind it was and I told him a Glock. Got my pizza, said bye, and walked out. Felt pretty good about that encounter, turn it from possibly hostile to a friendly interaction pretty smoothly.

Very nice. I'm always unsure how to handle kids when it comes to OC.

Nice job!:) I'm also unsure of myself when it comes to handling kids who are taken aback by my OC. I've had one or two try to touch/poke/tap it (I imagine they want to see if it is real), but don't know how to calm any fears they may have, if any. I'll have to try your approach next time.

Alsherry

Bend your knees to get down to their eye level, and smile.
This.

I'm younger guy and don't have any kids, but I've always thought that kids tend to be afraid of things they don't understand, but usually for different reasons than adults. Fear of guns in adults, I'd assume, most the time comes for ignorance. We see it all the time. It'd be pretty hard to live in America as an adult and not have some kind of experience, directly or indirectly, with guns. But kids, it's more of a fear of the unknown. They have probably never been taught how a gun can be a tool for good, or for good people (other than cops, but adults badmouth them all the time anyways). Parents telling them that "Guns are bad and dangerous and that's all you need to know". I try to level with them, treat them with the same respect as an adult, if not more, and give them an experience of a nice, kind, understanding person that carries a gun, that might end up being their first experience ever. Be the needle in the haystack that'll leave a good lasting impression on them.

Oh. And pray their parents aren't total a$$holes.

mikeyb

Bend your knees to get down to their eye level, and smile.

Yup, best way to relate to a kid. Of course, you want to make sure the Adult-In-Charge of the child is nearby and aware of where their kid is. Depending upon the area, you never know how the parent will react, despite your smiling and being congenial.

Bill45

Yup, best way to relate to a kid. Of course, you want to make sure the Adult-In-Charge of the child is nearby and aware of where their kid is. Depending upon the area, you never know how the parent will react, despite your smiling and being congenial.

Definitely, you want the child's parents there. Last thing you would need is the police called about a man with a gun making "friends" with children. In this day of heightened awareness of perverts you might be hauled off and next we'll hear about you on the 5 pm news.

If I am out and about with out a female companion I avoid unaccompanied children like the plague. Call me paranoid.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
I was in a Starbucks a couple years ago. Four local PD officers had been at the next table on my strong side - no problems with them at all. A few minutes after they left, a dad with his son (about 10 years old) stopped to talk to me. Dad knew OC was legal, but son apparently was a litttle unsure, so they stopped so the son could see that normal people carry guns, too (why they thought I was normal, I don't know). A teaching moment for the younger crowd.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Friday I stopped by the Outlet Mall in auburn to pick up an iPhone 6. Went into Verizon and as it was the release date of the new phone they had a Securitas officer working (unarmed). I gave my name and number and waited 20-40 minutes for a salesman. The security guy saw me, nodded and never said a word about my Sig.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Friday I stopped by the Outlet Mall in auburn to pick up an iPhone 6. Went into Verizon and as it was the release date of the new phone they had a Securitas officer working (unarmed). I gave my name and number and waited 20-40 minutes for a salesman. The security guy saw me, nodded and never said a word about my Sig.

"DROP THE IPHONE, AND NOBODY GETS HURT!!!!!!!" I feel sorry for you Iphone people that can't wait. How much data do you have? I have 4G Verizon with unlimited data, and run all my computers/tablets/DVR/TV off my cell phone for internet for $25.

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

"DROP THE IPHONE, AND NOBODY GETS HURT!!!!!!!" I feel sorry for you Iphone people that can't wait. How much data do you have? I have 4G Verizon with unlimited data, and run all my computers/tablets/DVR/TV off my cell phone for internet for $25.

I really need for you to school me on how I might get a set up like you got there!
I pay 151$ a month for my cable plus Internet plus phone,,, and it keeps going up!

if you would help me, I would PM you with a number and time we could talk, at your convenience.

decklin

Spent a week down in Oregon on vacation. Open carried the whole time with no issues. Had a few positive encounters while I was there. Mostly just asking what kind of gun it was. I did have one guy ask me if I a was a cop. That's only happened once or twice.

Yesterday I was back in Auburn and the wife and I had to do some grocery shopping. We were at the returns desk for walmart waiting in line.
There was a woman in front of me with her two kids. Apparently she thought they were misbehaving (I though they were fine) and she told them, "if you don't behave I'm gonna have that guy pull his gun on you!"

I was dumbfounded. All I could do was stare at her and shake my head.

While walking through the store one of their young male employees said, " Awesome gun, sir!"
Told him thank you and smiled.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I really need for you to school me on how I might get a set up like you got there!
I pay 151$ a month for my cable plus Internet plus phone,,, and it keeps going up!

if you would help me, I would PM you with a number and time we could talk, at your convenience.

Now you ask me after we just had lunch! Key thing, do you have Verizon, and do you still have an unlimited data plan? I use my phone as an internet "hot spot" to provide wi-fi for my computers. I use about 30 GB a month.

kparker

I was dumbfounded. All I could do was stare at her and shake my head.

Pity you were silent (not meant as a criticism--who knows how I'd respond to such an unexpected off-the-wall statement? -- just as an observation.)

Something along the lines of, "Madam, how dare you imply I might do something illegal like that?"

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...We were at the returns desk for walmart waiting in line.
There was a woman in front of me with her two kids. Apparently she thought they were misbehaving (I though they were fine) and she told them, "if you don't behave I'm gonna have that guy pull his gun on you!"

I was dumbfounded. All I could do was stare at her and shake my head...SNIP

Pity you were silent (not meant as a criticism--who knows how I'd respond to such an unexpected off-the-wall statement? -- just as an observation.)

Something along the lines of, "Madam, how dare you imply I might do something illegal like that?"

I didn't see how the lady (?) behaved, I wasn't there, so maybe kparker's suggestion wouldn't have worked; in cases where people try to make a "joke" about me drawing/shooting/threatening, I usually look them square in the eye and tell them that such jokes aren't funny because of the implications made about me, not to mention the possibility of a misunderstanding that may result in a MWAG call. I've had such conversations with peers, colleagues, friends, and family.

For example, the most recent event was with my uncle who tried to make a crack about me wanting to start "blasting away" at people; nobody was smiling after the "joke", but at least it wasn't in public.:banghead:

briehl12

Last night going home from auburn I saw a lady jogging with a drop leg holster. Glad to see that she won't be a victim.

decklin

Last night saw another oc'er at the south hill mall. He had what appeared to be an uncle mikes holster with a thumb break. What I really noticed though was he had the break on backwards.

decklin

Was at the federal way walmart yesterday when I saw a loomis guard at the deli. He had an empty holster and two empty mag pouches.
I asked him why the empty holster and he said he doesn't like to carry into the store.
I told him walmart follows state law.
His response? "Follows the law on what?" (Starting to realize he's not very quick)
"Guns", I say.
He goes on to talk about how he's trying to avoid problems because people freak out and kids get curious and try to grab the gun.
WTF?
At this point I fully understood this guy was a moron that definitely should not be carrying for work. I wanted to end the conversation so I just said, "I've never had that problem."
Then I walked away. Anyone ever encountered something like that before?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Rode the bus today from Auburn to Kent and back...

no issues, until a king county sheriff car pulled up to the Kent station as I was waiting for the next bus....

He never got out of his car, I boarded the bus and went home...

end of story....

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Lacey WINCO, and Titus-Will motors (Carpenter & Martin Way) no issues as always. I almost wish for one of these mythical "negative" encounters so I could have something more exciting to post. Snooze alert.

Bill45

Nice Spring day! Took my dog for a long walk part of which was along busy major arterials. No issues as usual, just an occasional wave. But in the case of the young female driver I am sure it was my manly physique that caught her attention not the 1911.