• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Sound OC Report........

cpgrad08

OC at the Barnes and Noble at the Lakewood Town Center. I was contacted by the personal there but I was followed the whole time there by security. Then I went to the Town Center Safeway. Had a good chat about guns with the employee at the Chinese food counter and ran into a fellow that CC's

DCKilla

The family and I went to Puyallup Red Robin and then to the South Hill Fred Meyer. On the way to Fred Meyer we passed a crime scene which 2 men who were killed. As we were exiting our car, 2 employees were discussing the scene just down the road. Knowing no strangers, my wife jumped in to give her 2 cents. One of the employees asked "What is this world coming to?" The employees had not seen my pistol, so, I responded, "Yeah, sooner or later a lot of folks are just going to start carrying guns around." My wife started to snicker. The employee responded as I turned my strong side towards her. She said, "Yeah, that's what people will...oh!" Priceless, the look on her face was of shock, but in agreement that I carried.

To bad for those 2 gentlemen that died.
http://www.kirotv.com/ap/ap/washington/2-dead-in-pierce-county-home/nPGDD/

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Went to Chase Bank (Martin/Marvin Lacey) to deposit my check since the camera App didn't work. Also to try out my new pen camcorder, the video quality is fairly impressive for $40.00 from COSTCO. The only problem is I,m going to find a way to adjust the angle since the person I'm talking to is not in the frame most of the time. Also went to Happy Teriyaki #4, and WINCO. At WINCO a guy asked if I had a "19", I kind of did my own double take and he repeated himself "is that a Glock 19? I said no it's a Taurus, which started off a friendly discussion of the state of the country today. At parting I gave him a pamphlet which he seemed to really appreciate. All in all another no issue day as always.

Pen cam: Swann Pencam w/2gb memory.

decklin

Do you think you could post a clip of the video? I'm interested in how it looks/sounds.

Yesterday went to the Walmart in Auburn. At the entrance was a table with a couple of guys trying to collect signatures for a petition against the raising of state taxes.
As I went walking by one of the men pointed at my 1911 and said, "Now thats what I'm talking about!"
I take it he approved.:D

cpgrad08

Went to McDonald's (10417 PACIFIC HWY SW TACOMA)after taking my sister and step brother shooting. I was OCing my 1911 in a shoulder holster. As I was waiting in line to place my order the manager ask me to to conceal my weapon for it "may scare the other customers" I told I have had nothing to conceal with. So I told I would jut grab and go. I will not being going to the McDonald's again .

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Twin Lakes

At the 'old' state run liquor store location. (Now run by a private party) The new owner, commented on my firearm. In a kidding (buy annoying) manner, don't rob me.... Ugh.

Good news is that his pricing is better than Fred Meyer and Safeway. Both retailers have retained or increased the old shelf price ($29.95 FM $35.99 SW, with card $31.99) AND then add the $2.83 liter tax and the 20.5% liquor tax AFTER, thus putting my 1/5 of Maker's Mark around $40.

However, at the now private liquor store he has a shelf price of $29.99 and it includes all taxes! Win!

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Went to McDonald's (10417 PACIFIC HWY SW TACOMA)after taking my sister and step brother shooting. I was OCing my 1911 in a shoulder holster. As I was waiting in line to place my order the manager ask me to to conceal my weapon for it "may scare the other customers" I told I have had nothing to conceal with. So I told I would jut grab and go. I will not being going to the McDonald's again .

The manager needs to be aware that McDonalds policy is to follow state law. I have been getting breakfast at that location almost every Saturday. I guess it's time I go inside to get my order.

TechnoWeenie

At the 'old' state run liquor store location. (Now run by a private party) The new owner, commented on my firearm. In a kidding (buy annoying) manner, don't rob me.... Ugh.

Good news is that his pricing is better than Fred Meyer and Safeway. Both retailers have retained or increased the old shelf price ($29.95 FM $35.99 SW, with card $31.99) AND then add the $2.83 liter tax and the 20.5% liquor tax AFTER, thus putting my 1/5 of Maker's Mark around $40.

However, at the now private liquor store he has a shelf price of $29.99 and it includes all taxes! Win!

We've privatized liquor sales. Now we need to cut liquor taxes..

25%+ is F'in ridiculous.

decklin

Spotted my first (besides my wife) OC'er yesterday! He showed up at my place of work with his family. I saw him when I was on my way to one of the saws. I asked him if he was on OC.org and he said his name was spec ops. I gave him my screen name and we spoke for a couple of minutes. He looking at trying out a safari land for an upcoming deployment. He doesn't want to take the risk of something getting caught in his serpa.
It was good talking with you!

Earlier in the day I spotted my wife OC'ing. I didn't have time to make a lunch before work so she brought me one.

The taxes on liquor were there before. They just included them in the prices. I do agree though, 20.5% plus a $3.7708 Liter Tax is crazy. Back home in NH I could buy a bottle of Jameson for $17 and some odd cents. No sales tax. Then I came out here and it's $25 for the same bottle and saw it going for $27 at a Tacoma store.
Don't forget that the state takes 17% retailer fee and a 10% fee from the distributor. But they claim they're losing money.
20.5% Sales Tax
$3.7708 Liter Tax
17% Retailer Fee
10% Distributor Fee

DamonK

I'm hanging out at the Olympia farmer's market again. Little more reaction than usual so far. Mostly just folks looking though.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

tombrewster421

In the last couple weeks of OCing I've noticed a lot more people I don't know randomly asking for help with things. Up in Seattle at a gas station I had two people ask for help; one with the pump and one with directions. At Starbucks one day a man came up and said " you look like a capable person", and proceed to ask for help jumping his car.

I guess more people are realizing that we're the good guys. :)

jt59

Spotted my first (besides my wife) OC'er yesterday! He showed up at my place of work with his family. I saw him when I was on my way to one of the saws. I asked him if he was on OC.org and he said his name was spec ops. I gave him my screen name and we spoke for a couple of minutes. He looking at trying out a safari land for an upcoming deployment. He doesn't want to take the risk of something getting caught in his serpa.
It was good talking with you!

Earlier in the day I spotted my wife OC'ing. I didn't have time to make a lunch before work so she brought me one.

The taxes on liquor were there before. They just included them in the prices. I do agree though, 20.5% plus a $3.7708 Liter Tax is crazy. Back home in NH I could buy a bottle of Jameson for $17 and some odd cents. No sales tax. Then I came out here and it's $25 for the same bottle and saw it going for $27 at a Tacoma store.
Don't forget that the state takes 17% retailer fee and a 10% fee from the distributor. But they claim they're losing money.
20.5% Sales Tax
$3.7708 Liter Tax
17% Retailer Fee
10% Distributor Fee

That was the devil in the details....I actually read the proposed legislation when the debate was raging, the selling point was to privatize sales and save the state a ton of dough from operating costs (smaller gov't)...but, at each level of transfer in the new law, the tax rates doubled or more....so, the state dumped the operating cost and managed to raise taxes at the same time, effectively keeping price at past levels, just collecting more and spending less....

Pretty slick....

Levi

I have a great story to share but first I have to set the stage a little. I almost always wear bib overalls. I look like a stereotypical hillbilly. I carry by wearing a rigging belt underneath and unbutton the right side so my holster is on the outside. I carry a Taurus 627 in a Galco Wheelgunner holster. Generally, I wear a jacket because I ride a motorcycle.

Yesterday I did my laundry at the Milton Laundromat. When I went in there was an older lady (60's? 70's?) there and she struck up a convo with me about motorcycles and the adventures she and her husband had. This is one of my favorite subject so it was easy for me to get into it. Then I took my jacket off.

Her face clearly showed her thought process. She was initially shocked. Then she avoided looking at me like I was an inappropriate piece of art. After a while, she just accepted it and it was much less of an issue to her.

I was ready to diplomatically deal with it and answer her obvious questions but I didn't have to. To my amazement, she never changed the topic, didn't cut and run, and didn't even change the way she was talking to me. She didn't miss a beat. A real lady, she earned my respect.

When I left, we exchanged pleasant salutations like old friends. It was best convo I ever had about carrying a gun and we didn't even talk about guns.

Drazhar Rakarth

The manager needs to be aware that McDonalds policy is to follow state law. I have been getting breakfast at that location almost every Saturday. I guess it's time I go inside to get my order.

It's the shoulder rig. I Oc'd that location as well with no problems. The first time I went in with a shoulder rig, I was asked to conceal as well. For them, it's a comfort level thing. Though, I don't see the difference. A secured gun is a secured gun. I guess to them gunbelt = safe, shoulder rig = a threat? :banghead:

cpgrad08

It's the shoulder rig. I Oc'd that location as well with no problems. The first time I went in with a shoulder rig, I was asked to conceal as well. For them, it's a comfort level thing. Though, I don't see the difference. A secured gun is a secured gun. I guess to them gunbelt = safe, shoulder rig = a threat? :banghead:

Very lame Very lame.

OCed at the Target and the AMC theater at the Lakewood Town Center today. Went to Up in smoke and had to explain to the owner that I don't need a permit to OC.