• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Sound OC Report........

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Renton/Tukwila...

Went to Fry's today in Renton, shopped for about an hour or so... might of had a undercover store security watch for a while..... did some Christmas shopping. Picked up 100 AA batteries for $17.99.

Went to Dick's in Renton, bought a machete for my B.O.B and did some more Christmas shopping.

Went to Sport's Authority in Tukwila, again with no issues.

Stopped in to Hobby Town in Tukwila, again with no issues.

conandan

OC'd this evening in Tacoma. Wife and I went to famous Dave's for dinner. No one said anything but every employee came by to check on us and ask how we were. The place was very busy, then over to Starbucks. They were packed could not get a table to sit so we left. And a stop at 7/11 on Pacific hwy. The store clerk seemed nervous but said nothing.

I really do love it here thinking about moving here because I can't oc in my home state.

LkWd_Don

OC'd this evening in Tacoma. Wife and I went to famous Dave's for dinner. No one said anything but every employee came by to check on us and ask how we were. The place was very busy, then over to Starbucks. They were packed could not get a table to sit so we left. And a stop at 7/11 on Pacific hwy. The store clerk seemed nervous but said nothing.

I really do love it here thinking about moving here because I can't oc in my home state.

Was that the 108th St SW and Pac Hwy 7-11?

If so, I'm not surprised, I have been in there a few times and though no issues, I get the impression that those on shift would rather no one OC.
Where the first time I OC'd in the new 7-11 at the corner of 100th St SW and Lakewood Dr. the clerk on duty asked if I was OC'ing because it is legal here or what, and about what I carry? I explained that I carry for the protection of self and others, that I prefer to OC even though I do have a CPL, and told him about my EDC.

There were no problems and I did not get an impression of any fear or hesitation from him like I do in the 108th/PacHwy location.

conandan

Yes that was the one I stopped at. It's my understanding that 7/11 has a no guns policy but I have not seen any signs yet. Anyway I will be out again this afternoon when I get off work. And then down to lacy Friday.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Lacey Walmart: Ran into a young soldier, who just got here from Bragg. He asked if I ever get hassled for OC, and I told him in over two years I've never had a problem just a few questions like his. Told him to check out OCDORG, and thanked him for his service.

LJennings

Lewis County

Hey all, new to the forum and to OCing but I've been around the last two days going everywhere about my business with no problems whatsoever

LJennings

Thanks for the welcome and ill see if I can't make it to the Spar. Got the mother in law coming into town and she doesn't know I carry yet but I should be able to at least stop in for a meet and greet.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I went to Ft. Lewis/JBLM today, and obviously couldn't carry OC or CC. They just happened to be conducting a readiness exercise, and we (daughter driving, me a passenger) got "selected" for the random vehicle check. They had us open all the doors, hatch back, and center console. One of the soldiers asked if there was a weapon since I was sporting my empty OC holster. I said there is no weapon since it is a gun free zone. A minute later one of the civilian officers came over, and asked where the weapon was. I started pointing at the soldiers, and said there's one, there's one, there's one, and oh you have one. Not quite sure if he appreciated my sarcastic sense of humor. Their security screening was an epic failure, if I really wanted to do bad things I probably could have hidden all my guns (minus the Mosins) and a big chunk of my ammo. They just did a basic look even after they "caught" me with the empty holster.

Then off to Shilter farm for a Xmas tree, and Winco for groceries.

LkWd_Don

I went to Ft. Lewis/JBLM today, and obviously couldn't carry OC or CC. They just happened to be conducting a readiness exercise, and we (daughter driving, me a passenger) got "selected" for the random vehicle check. They had us open all the doors, hatch back, and center console. One of the soldiers asked if there was a weapon since I was sporting my empty OC holster. I said there is no weapon since it is a gun free zone. A minute later one of the civilian officers came over, and asked where the weapon was. I started pointing at the soldiers, and said there's one, there's one, there's one, and oh you have one. Not quite sure if he appreciated my sarcastic sense of humor. Their security screening was an epic failure, if I really wanted to do bad things I probably could have hidden all my guns (minus the Mosins) and a big chunk of my ammo. They just did a basic look even after they "caught" me with the empty holster.

Then off to Shilter farm for a Xmas tree, and Winco for groceries.

Having worked as one of the Private Security Gate Guards when Fort Lewis was first testing that Anti-Terrorism program, we were not permitted to do anything more than a cursory look-over on what is called a spot or random security inspection. What most would mistakenly call a road-side search.

If a glove-box was closed, we instructed the driver to open it, we could not. We could lean in and thereby touch the carpet or the seats, and we could look under seats, etc.. but we were not permitted to move anything and touch was limited as said before to stabilizing ourselves while looking. If we observed anything we thought gave probable cause to conduct an actual search (like strange wires and no high-tech sound system apparent), we had to notify the MPs and if they agreed, they had to handle that search.

You have to remember those inspections are basically looking for explosives or Bombs, not other contraband. However, if they see signs such as an empty holster, they now have justifiable cause to suspect that a prohibited and dangerous weapon is present, and as I explained above, might conduct an indepth search, which could include putting the driver in temporary protective custody (hand-cuffs), while they conduct that search.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
You have to remember those inspections are basically looking for explosives or Bombs, not other contraband. However, if they see signs such as an empty holster, they now have justifiable cause to suspect that a prohibited and dangerous weapon is present, and as I explained above, might conduct an indepth search, which could include putting the driver in temporary protective custody (hand-cuffs), while they conduct that search.

Exactly, I gave them RAS to do an in depth inspection. They just took my word, and said have a nice day.

LkWd_Don

Exactly, I gave them RAS to do an in depth inspection. They just took my word, and said have a nice day.

I don't recall you saying if they even had an MP present or if it was an MP that let it slide.

When I was working there, we had some MPs that would get assigned to us, that we all knew were worthless, and if we needed to involve MPs at all, we would call the Provost Marshals office directly. Then we had some who were really good that used common sense, would not harrass folks simply cause they could, and then of course there were those who we hated to involve in anything, cause once they were, it was like watching a Hittler-wanna-be go to work.

TechnoWeenie

Yes that was the one I stopped at. It's my understanding that 7/11 has a no guns policy but I have not seen any signs yet. Anyway I will be out again this afternoon when I get off work. And then down to lacy Friday.

7-11 is franchised.

Many of the ones I frequent are run by Sikhs, and are VERY supportive of open carry.

A very important aspect of their religion is the ability to defend themselves and others.

DamonK

If you went through the Madigan gate, they may be a little desensitized to the whole empty holster thing. I go threw that gate several times per day and unless I'm in uniform, there's always a holster on my side. You should have seen the look on their faces when I'd go threw the gate during hunting season. But they know me very well now. I've even managed to give a few of them our pamphlets.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

aa1911

I've been busted 3 times at the gate and once at a seatbelt checkpoint on Fort Lewis with guns. Every time I got let go with a warning. The seatbelt checkpoint was hilarious, I had my G23 up front with almost 1000 rounds of loose ammo in my range bag, a 12g 870 in the back, a .357 handgun and about 3 x 5 gal buckets with ammo. (I had been to the range that day as per usual, and hadn't gotten around to taking all my guns out)

today, I would probably have been shot and/or arrested for terrorism.

"why do you have a gun?"

I point out that it's registered, unloaded and not concealed, as per regulation.

(even though it's still against the official regs- gotta be actively going DIRECTLY to and from the range, transporting a firearm that you've owned for less than 3 business days, or PCSing)

They asked me rank and unit and I guess it was good enough to let me slide by.

The last time, they would have never even seen it, was early AM headed in for PT and I told them I had an unloaded pistol on the pass. side floor when I got 'selected'.

Made me show him it was unloaded and let me slide. I'm waiting for the day I get the ***** though, I'm gonna go down hard if someone wants to be a stickler.

Oh yeah, don't carry on post... it's illegal

Munkey Butt

Last weekend went to the Puyallup gun show. Since I'm not a member I did not carry at the show.

After that, Burger King, Many strange looks, but nothing said.
Then down to Surplus Arms and Ammo, that place was packed.
From there over to Quantico Tactical nice place, first time there.
Finally headed down to Cabelas before heading back home.

aa1911

I've also OCed in Cabelas (exit 111 on I-5) with no negative results. Mostly just smiles and nods from the staff, narry a word.

Lowes in Lacey last week, the clerks were 'extra' helpful as usual, pretty funny. QFC accross the street, no issues there the last half dozen times or so.

SeattleWingsfan

Thats the one right by my shop. I go there several times a day. When I first open carried in the store they knew me by name and occupation, small talked, even worked on some of there cars. But the first couple times they still watched me close. Now it's nothing and they ask questions, even notice when I get something new. I've been asked several times to watch the store so they can take a bathroom break. Great family that owns it, super nice.

the newer one on 100th I got asked about open carry the day they openeded. They thought it was illegal. I corrected, gave them info and they have seemed OK since. The one on bridgeport accross from brown bear is the one the idiot works at. The guy has made jokes several times about not going postal and or starting a shooting spree somewhere. The manager whose car I work on, had a talk with him and he hasn't said anything stupid lately.