• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Sound OC Report........

jt59

At the starbucks on 56th & South Tacoma Way, for my usual this AM 7:30...very busy, put in my order and then got in the crowd to wait....one guy behind me noticed and got his drink and scooted, but said nothing....staff friendly as always.

In the Wells Fargo Main branch on Bridgeport and ?? 40th (maybe 30th?) Anyway ....very busy this afternoon, 4 or 5 people in line, plus me...a few looks from other customers, I was directly in front of the girl in the cage, and she looked at my 1911 several times, but said nothing at all....all in all about 15 minutes.

I said I'd like to make a cash withdrawal.......

and then swiped my card...:D

Last edited:

Genken

Best Buy on Meridian and 116th - One of my room mates asked if I wanted to go with him to Best Buy so he can pick up an XBox 360, and since I hadn't gone anywhere, I figured I'd go. Got a few looks and doubletakes from other customers and a few of the staff, but there was no mention of my pistol. Staff was courteous and friendly. Selection of items isn't as good as the one by Tacoma Mall, but otherwise a pleasant evening.

Lovenox

Stop yet again at Little Caesars and a customer said ,"That's a serious holster." (Its an Uncle Mikes) The cashier asks ,"Whats your profession?" I said, "Military" Got my pizza and walked out no issues.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
8/13 (Friday the 13th)

Lakewood
Arco to fill up the tank. No issues.

Federal Way Prosecutors Office
Served a discovery request with the office. No issues.

Federal Way Fred Meyers
Shopped for 15 minutes with no issues.

Genken

BECU on Meridian and 39th Ave SW - Walked in, had to wait awhile. When a seat opened, I sat down, a lady got up and left. Otherwise nothing.

Wells Fargo by Puyallup Mall - Used the online banking kiosk for a bit, talked with a banker about account things, no issues.

Wal-Mart on Meridian and 168th - Returned item for a friend, nothing going on until I got to the electronics department. Asked an employee if she'd be able to get something unlocked, and in an accent that sounded like one of the Eurasian areas with alot of civil war and stuff(and kinda frightened), she said she didn't know anything, I'd have to ask the guys at the electronics counter. Then she walked off kinda quick. Maybe she was having flashbacks or something. Asked another guy about batteries, and he sounded kinda rude telling me where they were. Otherwise, nothing else happened. I do feel kinda bad for the foreign lady employee though. I don't wish to alarm those who have possibly been in those kinds of areas, dealing with all that stuff on a daily basis.

Fred Meyers on Meridian and 176th - I realized that I forgot to buy some Monsters and other beverages on my way out of Wal-Mart. So I decided to stop at Fred Meyers up the street instead. I stopped by the Starbucks counter inside, nice looking barista didn't say anything about my pistol, took my order, and we had a nice little chat while I was waiting. Going through the isles, an stocker was going through looking at chips while I was scanning through the beer. He happened to be going through about waist level, and when he got to my hip, he flinched and went bug eyed for a fraction of a second, but kept going. No word of it. Otherwise everyone else seemed friendly or indifferent. Almost forgot my coffee though....twice.

76 on Canyon and 176th St - Went in to buy cigarettes on my way home. Didn't feel like dropping off my sidearm and going to post this late. I flinched at the price for 2 packs. She must have noticed my military ID in my wallet as I pulled it out, because she commented on going to post, in a joking manner. Joked back and forth as she rang me up and I paid, the other person standing next to the counter didn't say anything.

Stryker

Walmart Meridian x 168th St: Uneventful gathering of various sundries.

Home Depot Puyallup: Nothing noteworthy

Sportco Fife: Eyeballed by several customers, but no comments from anyone.

Cabella's Lacey: Store greeter asked me if I was going to be keeping my firearm in its holster. My response: "That is my intention. Have a good day." Nothing else to mention.

Pioneer Park Puyallup: Busy day, lots of kids and families at the play area. Sat for about an hour while my son burned some energy. Not a peep.

Sam's Club Renton: OK... a little too far north. Killed a couple hours wandering the isles with my wife and three kids. The kids caused me far more anxiety than the sidearm.

Carry on everyone!

Leatherneck

Jack in the Box on 260th & Pac Hwy. got looks from other customers, but that was it.

Starbucks (of course) on 320th across from the Commons.
I mention this because... I was there with my son. I haven't seen him in about a year, so we were hanging out outside talking long after our coffee was gone. One of the ladies came out and said "you guys look hungry" and handed us each a doughnut. Very cool!

Holey 1

Antique tractor show & pull

The antique tractor show. tractor pill and flea market in Port Orchard.
No problems, two positive comments.
I think I'll go back for a while.

J_Douglass

Went last night to "Little Caesars" pizza. Hardly a look and the nice young woman behind the counter asked to see my id for the debit/credit card. I thanked to which she replied "I don't want anyone spending your money." and smiled. I got a stirring in my loin over that. :lol:

you single? should have closed the deal, she left it wide open for you. if not, never mind

Ruby

OCed and temporarily disarmed!

Well, I finally have something to add to this thread. Decided I would OC today as much as possible. Went to Champion Arms to shoot and try out my new(used, but new to me) S & W .38 special stainless steel snubby. I liked it! What a fun little gun to shoot. The only other .38 I have shot was my friend's with an aluminum frame. I like mine much better. Not nearly the recoil I was expecting. Did pretty well with it.

Stopped on the way home to get a soda at a gas station. I was the only one in there. The clerk helped me look for what I wanted; he approached me on my strong side so I know he saw my gun. No comments, very friendly service. Sorry, didn't get the name of the place but it's on Valley Highway on the way to Renton from Champion.

Went home and ate lunch, then decided to go to Fred Meyer to get what I needed for the potato salad. (Which I will be fixing when I get off of here,) On the way, I evidently changed lanes without looking or he was in my blind spot; next thing I know I see the red and blue lights in my mirror. BTW, I haven't been stopped for anything in YEARS. So I was nervous; my first LEO encounter while being armed. As soon as he got to my door, I let him know I was armed, I didn't want him to be surprised. He thanked me for that and asked for my DL, registration, and insurance. Then he said he was going to take my gun and I said you do not have my permission to take my gun. He reached in and unsnapped the retention strap and unholstered it and laid it on the roof of my car. He then went back and checked my license, etc. He told me I could have my gun back when we were done. When he was finished with the check, he dropped the mag and ejected the round in the chamber, locked the slide back, and gave it back to me. He gave me a verbal warning about being more careful when changing lanes and I said I would be. I was grateful for not getting a ticket. I know WHY he disarmed me, but I don't agree with it. But I was not going to make a huge issue if it, either. He then probably would have written me a ticket and maybe called for back up. I told him of my displeasure and that I didn't give him permission to disarm me; anything more than that I would need to go above his head. He was very polite and professional and so was I. It was obvious that he had stopped other OCers or was familiar with OC because the fact that I was OC wasn't an issue. I have to stop and put myself in his shoes also; how would I feel if I stopped someone who was armed and didn't know what their intentions were? Too many LEOs have been killed this year and I really can't blame them for being careful. But I sure didn't like someone taking my gun away from me, even for a few minutes. I could kick myself because I didn't have my recorder going. Got to remember to turn it on when I leave the house.

So now that's over, and on to Fred Meyers. Pretty uneventful after the cop stop. Lots of looks but no comments. I rarely go to Freddie's so had to ask for help from a few people who work there. No looks or comments from them and lots of friendly service. Now I'm home and on to the potato salad!

All in all, a very encouraging day for OCing for me. I really do want to OC more and aside from the LEO incident, everything went well. See everyone tomorrow!

1245A Defender

congrats for you new 38!

kudos to you for your first LEO interaction,
thing is, this is not a must notify state, many will agree, that telling the cop, you are armed, is a nice thing to do, but since you did, you shouldnt have been seen as a threat,
so he should not have felt the need to violate your 4th A right, glad you at least,
refused your permission to be disarmed.
if you had kept quiet about your gun, that whole part of your visit may not have happened!
and he didnt doubt you as a law abiding citizen, he didnt ask for your CPL.
over all im glad it went well, and now youll remember to turn your recorder on when youre out!

i look forward to meeting you at willow lake tomorrow, i like tater salad!:banana:

.45ACPaddy

Then he said he was going to take my gun and I said you do not have my permission to take my gun. He reached in and unsnapped the retention strap and unholstered it and laid it on the roof of my car. He then went back and checked my license, etc. He told me I could have my gun back when we were done. When he was finished with the check, he dropped the mag and ejected the round in the chamber, locked the slide back, and gave it back to me.

If I were you right now, I'd be calling and complaining over and over. That's absolutely WRONG of him to simply reach in and take it without your permission! And then to modify the condition!

I'm gonna stop typing right now before my fingertips get me in trouble...

:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
If I were you right now, I'd be calling and complaining over and over. That's absolutely WRONG of him to simply reach in and take it without your permission! And then to modify the condition!

I'm gonna stop typing right now before my fingertips get me in trouble...

:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

No. It is not wrong, nor illegal. The "officer safety" clause that the courts have given LEO fits this scenario. I have been stopped and notified the officer (because he came up on my passenger window side where it was in plain view) and not been disarmed. This is left to officer discretion. However, the unloading of the firearm is something that I find silly.

There are many different ways to look at this scenario. I have mostly NOT notified when pulled over in the past 20 years and had no incidence with the LEO. I would only notify if I was asked to exit the vehicle or that he approached on the strong side. I know that Ruby is a lefty and therefore I would probably not have notified. However, it is up to the individual and there comfort level. Your mind is not as clear when you are pulled over unless you practice.

Which reminds me....I know some have seen Ridley and the NH freedom group practice LEO interactions. If there are people interested perhaps we should work to have a practice session with LEO interaction scenarios.

Ruby

kudos to you for your first LEO interaction,
thing is, this is not a must notify state, many will agree, that telling the cop, you are armed, is a nice thing to do, but since you did, you shouldnt have been seen as a threat,
so he should not have felt the need to violate your 4th A right, glad you at least,
refused your permission to be disarmed.
if you had kept quiet about your gun, that whole part of your visit may not have happened!
and he didnt doubt you as a law abiding citizen, he didnt ask for your CPL.
over all im glad it went well, and now youll remember to turn your recorder on when youre out!

i look forward to meeting you at willow lake tomorrow, i like tater salad!:banana:

I am a lefty so my gun is clearly visible to someone standing by the driver's side door, which is where he approached me. I notified simply as a courtesy to him, and the fact that this is a totally new experience for me made me unsure of what to do. I agree with Gogo, once he had my gun out of reach, it was rather silly to unload it. I was concerned about him handling it and told him that it is a 1911 and not to lower the hammer.

Beretta92FSLady

I am a lefty so my gun is clearly visible to someone standing by the driver's side door, which is where he approached me.

This is probably why he disarmed you, because you are a lefty and the firearm was closer to him. I have been pulled over a number of times (broken tail light, front light out) and I am a righty, never disarmed.

69Charger

Fred Meyers on Pacific ave last night.
The cool part was when a nice young guy and his gal came up to me and asked me about open carrying my 1911. When we were done talking the young guy says to his gal
SEE I TOLD YOU IT WAS OK TO CARRY OPENLY in a cheerful voice. :)
As we were in the check out line another young guy came up to me and asked if I were a part of the 1911 forum because he recognized my tattoo and wanted to say HI.
Yep, Thats me.
We talked 1911s for a while and he had to show me his 1911 that was on his phone. He was really proud of it. It was a good time talking to these folks and we all felt good going home.
Yea baby. :)
Dave

Genken

I'm glad that you didn't have any major issues with you encounter, Ruby. I do like how you handled it.

So today wasn't all that fun filled. Did go to Cabela's for the first time in my life today, though...

Surplus Ammo and Arms - Went in to get another box of my 147 Grain Ranger SXT rounds. Looked around a bit, priced some stuff for my room mate, one of the guys who worked there asked it on my hip was a CZ. Didn't say much after that. Also got more snap caps, finally.

Cabela's in Lacey - First time going in there...I was like a kid in a candy store at some times. Tried to get a rough idea on prices of reloading equipment there, looked at their guns and found a Magnum Research Baby Eagle in .40 S&W(used) for about $500...the old one without the rail system. Wish I had the cash. One of the clerks asked if I needed help, I said I'm just looking, first time in store, wife would kill me if I spent more money than I had already today. We started talking about guns, he said something about not being able to find much of anything for 1911's...I was kinda in a "wtf? those are everywhere" mindset, but I guess he was talking about around the store. Then he went back to work. Nobody said anything to me about my sidearm...everyone went about their business.

Shell station in Lacey - had to get me something to eat, I was starving. Nobody said anything, cashier was nice, good times.

boosteddreams

A Shell station on along Bothell Way NE, though I don't remember the cross street - another customer inside the store asked me about OC; he said he had his CPL but didn't know if OC was legal. I told him it was, gave him a bit of info, and suggested this site. He was really excited, especially since it was WAY too hot for multiple layers today!

IHOP by Seatac - no real issues, although at one point I heard a bit of conversation amongst the staff, "... it's not even concealed!" and I assumed she was talking about me. Nobody said a word to me, though, and the service was good.

Normandy Beach Park - I got a very wary look from a guy playing with his dog, but he didn't say anything.

All in all, pretty good OC experience, and I am SO glad Washington allows it. I love this place!