Thread: Tories promise to restore self-defense rights in the home - includng deadly force!

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Pol...ect_Themselves

SNIP

Tories: We'll Change Law On Killing Burglars

9:09am UK, Monday December 21, 2009

Miranda Richardson, Sky News Online

The Tories want to give people who kill burglars while defending their home more protection from prosecution, according to the shadow home secretary.

Householders should be allowed to use 'proportionate force', the Tories say . . .

Banned

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Pol...ect_Themselves

SNIP

Tories: We'll Change Law On Killing Burglars

9:09am UK, Monday December 21, 2009

Miranda Richardson, Sky News Online

The Tories want to give people who kill burglars while defending their home more protection from prosecution, according to the shadow home secretary.

Householders should be allowed to use 'proportionate force', the Tories say . . .
    But of course, the burglars will still be the only people allowed to have deadly weapons, and their victims will have nothing but their fists and a few common household items semi-capable of doing any self-defensive harm at all.

Post imported post

Victims' base ball bats make very good defences and may start a trend allowing better defences in the future. Eh?

Banned

Post imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
    Victims' base ball bats make very good defences and may start a trend allowing better defences in the future. Eh?
    More likely to be cricket bats over there, but then if you're not registered in a cricket league, it'll be seized and used as kindling.

Post imported post

Yep, it must be election time again.

There'll be a frantic rush to see who can "sound" the toughest on crime.

Better than nowt, I suppose.

But, what I really want is for them to recognise thatit is not within the remit of any politician to "grant" me the right to defend myself, my family or my neighbours.

They have the audacity to make a recognition ofmy rights into a Party' virtue.

BTW, I see that there are rumblings of a British Bill of Rights. I read Jack Straw's proposed Bill ( Labour 2007-2008) and was mightily un-impressed. It comprised mostly of facilitating the access to Welfare and had a great, big get-out clause..."we can completely ignore this Bill if we so desire"... I paraphrase.

Anyway, Labour and Straw have dropped any such pretensions, now.

But, will any such Bill of Rights reflect what we Citizens' want? Or, will it be a sanitized document handed down to us by our betters?

More than anything, we need to get these issues into the MSM and stimulate debate within the UK. God only knows how we can achieve that.

Post imported post

-I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Post imported post

David Turner wrote:
    Yep, it must be election time again.

There'll be a frantic rush to see who can "sound" the toughest on crime.

Better than nowt, I suppose.

But, what I really want is for them to recognise thatit is not within the remit of any politician to "grant" me the right to defend myself, my family or my neighbours.

They have the audacity to make a recognition ofmy rights into a Party' virtue.

BTW, I see that there are rumblings of a British Bill of Rights. I read Jack Straw's proposed Bill ( Labour 2007-2008) and was mightily un-impressed. It comprised mostly of facilitating the access to Welfare and had a great, big get-out clause..."we can completely ignore this Bill if we so desire"... I paraphrase.

Anyway, Labour and Straw have dropped any such pretensions, now.

But, will any such Bill of Rights reflect what we Citizens' want? Or, will it be a sanitized document handed down to us by our betters?

More than anything, we need to get these issues into the MSM and stimulate debate within the UK. God only knows how we can achieve that.
    Are you located in the UK? It would be nice to see your location.

When I saw your phrase "not within the remit" I had not heard anyone use that before and considered it's meaning. Before I lookedup remit I took it as another word for give/pay and would agree that no politician can give you something you should already possess.

But then I read this:

Function: verb

Inflected Form(s): re·mit·ted; re·mit·ting

Etymology: Middle English remitten, from Latin remittere to send back, from re- + mittere to send

Date: 14th century

transitive verb

1 a : to lay aside (a mood or disposition) partly or wholly b : to desist from (an activity) c : to let (as attention or diligence) slacken : relax

2 a : to release from the guilt or penalty of <remit sins> b : to refrain from exacting <remit a tax> c : to cancel or refrain from inflicting <remit the penalty> d : to give relief from (suffering)

3 : to submit or refer for consideration, judgment, decision, or action; specifically : remand

4 : to restore or consign to a former status or condition

5 : postpone, defer

6 : to send (money) to a person or place especially in payment of a demand, account, or draft

intransitive verb 1 a : to abate in force or intensity : moderate b : to abate symptoms (as of a disease) for a period 2 : to send money (as in payment)

It seems like remit is exactly applicable. Since they jacked it up they can unjack it, no?I agree a right is not something that can really be taken but the UK seems to have done just exactly that.God, I can only hope some sensibilities come back into play over there. I find it crazy how things have gotten concerning self defense and weapons over there. I'm pulling for ya.

Post imported post

Location?

Google Earth...North Newbald. I would guess that there's only one.

Post imported post

David Turner wrote:
    Location?

Google Earth...North Newbald. I would guess that there's only one.
    Thx. Is there something about not putting it in your profile?

We all talk about places that may or may not be our home - so when I look at your name and all that on the left I see no location listed. For all I knew you lived in India. It's not like your post here even mentions it so how should I know?

Just inquisitive - not trying to be confrontive.

Post imported post

OK. Done.

It just never occurred to me to add that bit of information.

Post imported post

David Turner wrote:
    OK. Done.

It just never occurred to me to add that bit of information.
    Very cool. Thx again!

It helps to see that when reading the opinions/viewpoints of others. It givessome possible insight to further understanding when you have an idea of the enviroment they operate in.

Post imported post

N6ATF wrote:
    TheMrMitch wrote:
    More likely to be cricket bats over there, but then if you're not registered in a cricket league, it'll be seized and used as kindling.
    they already have an 'assault knife' law, and plenty of chefs have knife permits.... But from what I hear, it isn't strongly enforced because even the most anti-human-life supporters can't talk about it with a straight face. It's just sooo dumb...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

post deleted