• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tories promise to restore self-defense rights in the home - includng deadly force!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Politics/Chris-Grayling-Tories-Want-To-Change-The-Law-To-Give-Homeowners-More-Rights-To-Protect-Themselves/Article/200912315505516?lpos=Politics_First_Poilitics_Article_Teaser_Regi_1&lid=ARTICLE_15505516_Chris_Grayling:_Tories_Want_To_Change_The_Law_To_Give_Homeowners_More_Rights_To_Protect_Themselves

SNIP

Tories: We'll Change Law On Killing Burglars

9:09am UK, Monday December 21, 2009

Miranda Richardson, Sky News Online

The Tories want to give people who kill burglars while defending their home more protection from prosecution, according to the shadow home secretary.

15339404.jpg

Householders should be allowed to use 'proportionate force', the Tories say . . .

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Mike wrote:
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Politics/Chris-Grayling-Tories-Want-To-Change-The-Law-To-Give-Homeowners-More-Rights-To-Protect-Themselves/Article/200912315505516?lpos=Politics_First_Poilitics_Article_Teaser_Regi_1&lid=ARTICLE_15505516_Chris_Grayling:_Tories_Want_To_Change_The_Law_To_Give_Homeowners_More_Rights_To_Protect_Themselves

SNIP

Tories: We'll Change Law On Killing Burglars

9:09am UK, Monday December 21, 2009

Miranda Richardson, Sky News Online

The Tories want to give people who kill burglars while defending their home more protection from prosecution, according to the shadow home secretary.

15339404.jpg

Householders should be allowed to use 'proportionate force', the Tories say . . .
But of course, the burglars will still be the only people allowed to have deadly weapons, and their victims will have nothing but their fists and a few common household items semi-capable of doing any self-defensive harm at all.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
Victims' base ball bats make very good defences and may start a trend allowing better defences in the future. Eh?:dude:
More likely to be cricket bats over there, but then if you're not registered in a cricket league, it'll be seized and used as kindling.

David Turner

imported post

Yep, it must be election time again.

There'll be a frantic rush to see who can "sound" the toughest on crime.

Better than nowt, I suppose.

But, what I really want is for them to recognise thatit is not within the remit of any politician to "grant" me the right to defend myself, my family or my neighbours.

They have the audacity to make a recognition ofmy rights into a Party' virtue.

BTW, I see that there are rumblings of a British Bill of Rights. I read Jack Straw's proposed Bill ( Labour 2007-2008) and was mightily un-impressed. It comprised mostly of facilitating the access to Welfare and had a great, big get-out clause..."we can completely ignore this Bill if we so desire"... I paraphrase.

Anyway, Labour and Straw have dropped any such pretensions, now.

But, will any such Bill of Rights reflect what we Citizens' want? Or, will it be a sanitized document handed down to us by our betters?

More than anything, we need to get these issues into the MSM and stimulate debate within the UK. God only knows how we can achieve that.

CommonMan101

imported post

David Turner wrote:
Yep, it must be election time again.

There'll be a frantic rush to see who can "sound" the toughest on crime.

Better than nowt, I suppose.

But, what I really want is for them to recognise thatit is not within the remit of any politician to "grant" me the right to defend myself, my family or my neighbours.

They have the audacity to make a recognition ofmy rights into a Party' virtue.

BTW, I see that there are rumblings of a British Bill of Rights. I read Jack Straw's proposed Bill ( Labour 2007-2008) and was mightily un-impressed. It comprised mostly of facilitating the access to Welfare and had a great, big get-out clause..."we can completely ignore this Bill if we so desire"... I paraphrase.

Anyway, Labour and Straw have dropped any such pretensions, now.

But, will any such Bill of Rights reflect what we Citizens' want? Or, will it be a sanitized document handed down to us by our betters?

More than anything, we need to get these issues into the MSM and stimulate debate within the UK. God only knows how we can achieve that.

Are you located in the UK? It would be nice to see your location.

When I saw your phrase "not within the remit" I had not heard anyone use that before and considered it's meaning. Before I lookedup remit I took it as another word for give/pay and would agree that no politician can give you something you should already possess.

But then I read this:

Function: verb

Inflected Form(s): re·mit·ted; re·mit·ting

Etymology: Middle English remitten, from Latin remittere to send back, from re- + mittere to send

Date: 14th century

transitive verb

1 a : to lay aside (a mood or disposition) partly or wholly b : to desist from (an activity) c : to let (as attention or diligence) slacken : relax

2 a : to release from the guilt or penalty of <remit sins> b : to refrain from exacting <remit a tax> c : to cancel or refrain from inflicting <remit the penalty> d : to give relief from (suffering)

3 : to submit or refer for consideration, judgment, decision, or action; specifically : remand

4 : to restore or consign to a former status or condition

5 : postpone, defer

6 : to send (money) to a person or place especially in payment of a demand, account, or draft

intransitive verb 1 a : to abate in force or intensity : moderate b : to abate symptoms (as of a disease) for a period 2 : to send money (as in payment)

It seems like remit is exactly applicable. Since they jacked it up they can unjack it, no?I agree a right is not something that can really be taken but the UK seems to have done just exactly that.God, I can only hope some sensibilities come back into play over there. I find it crazy how things have gotten concerning self defense and weapons over there. I'm pulling for ya.

CommonMan101

imported post

David Turner wrote:
Location?

Google Earth...North Newbald. I would guess that there's only one.

Thx. Is there something about not putting it in your profile?

We all talk about places that may or may not be our home - so when I look at your name and all that on the left I see no location listed. For all I knew you lived in India. It's not like your post here even mentions it so how should I know?

Just inquisitive - not trying to be confrontive.

CommonMan101

imported post

David Turner wrote:
OK. Done.

It just never occurred to me to add that bit of information.

Very cool. Thx again!

It helps to see that when reading the opinions/viewpoints of others. It givessome possible insight to further understanding when you have an idea of the enviroment they operate in.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

N6ATF wrote:
TheMrMitch wrote:
Victims' base ball bats make very good defences and may start a trend allowing better defences in the future. Eh?:dude:
More likely to be cricket bats over there, but then if you're not registered in a cricket league, it'll be seized and used as kindling.
they already have an 'assault knife' law, and plenty of chefs have knife permits.... But from what I hear, it isn't strongly enforced because even the most anti-human-life supporters can't talk about it with a straight face. It's just sooo dumb...