• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Age to open carry and buy in columbus ohio

jscott65

imported post

hi i recently moved to columbus ohio and i was wondering what are the age requirments to open carry here and where can i buy a handgun from at the age of 18, if i am even able to but one. Also is there any training courses or permit coruses that i need to take. thanks.!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

jscott65 wrote:
hi i recently moved to columbus ohio and i was wondering what are the age requirments to open carry here and where can i buy a handgun from at the age of 18, if i am even able to but one. Also is there any training courses or permit coruses that i need to take. thanks.!

Why do you want to:

a) buy a gun?

b) carry a gun?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

jscott65 wrote:

Well, basically, as has been discussed here in the Ohio forums many times, it appears that under Ohio law you can buy hangusn from an Ohio resident privately (non-dealer sale), but it is a crime for the seller to do this. Too bad you did not already own a handgun when you moved into Ohio.

You can open cary at age 18, but a recent Ohio App. Ct. decision casts doubt on state preemption as to tansfers and open carry so local ordinances might be a problem for you.

There are a couple of Ohio gun rights groups - get involved ad help them clarify preemption thru new legislation or litigation.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
It's illegal for the 18 to 20 year old person to purchase or attempt to purchase a handgun as well -

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923
2923.211 Underage purchase of firearm or handgun.
(A) No person under eighteen years of age shall purchase or attempt to purchase a firearm.

(B) No person under twenty-one years of age shall purchase or attempt to purchase a handgun, provided that this division does not apply to the purchase or attempted purchase of a handgun by a person eighteen years of age or older and under twenty-one years of age if either of the following apply:

(1) The person is a law enforcement officer who is properly appointed or employed as a law enforcement officer and has received firearms training approved by the Ohio peace officer training council or equivalent firearms training.

(2) The person is an active or reserve member of the armed services of the United States or the Ohio national guard, or was honorably discharged from military service in the active or reserve armed services of the United States or the Ohio national guard, and the person has received firearms training from the armed services or the national guard or equivalent firearms training.

(C) Whoever violates division (A) of this section is guilty of underage purchase of a firearm, a delinquent act that would be a felony of the fourth degree if it could be committed by an adult. Whoever violates division (B) of this section is guilty of underage purchase of a handgun, a misdemeanor of the second degree.
If you had brought your handgun with you from out of state, then you could legally carry it openly. But, if you came into the state sans handgun, you are out of luck until you are 21 as far as obtaining a handgun goes.
OK, good catch on this - but it still would appear that this is just a purchase ban - so if an 18-20 year old in Ohio find a nice handgun under the xmas tree this year, it would appear to be lawful for her to open the gun and holster up.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
2923.21 Improperly furnishing firearms to minor.

(A) No person shall do any of the following:

. . .
(3) Furnish any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age or, subject to division (B) of this section, furnish any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age, except for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes, including, but not limited to, instruction in firearms or handgun safety, care, handling, or marksmanship under the supervision or control of a responsible adult;
Right, butas to the 18 year old, her receipt does not appear to be a crime.