• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick question

OfficerMatt

imported post

I went to the PMAA range today with a bunch of friend and saw that in the office they were selling hats that said Salt Lake City Police" on them. No my question is could it possibly be misconstrued as impersonating an officer while wearing said hat and openly carrying my firearm? Obviously i dont want to be ticketed for something like that, and of course i would say that im NOT an officer (yet) if they asked me. Just wanted to get some feedback...

OfficerMatt

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Impersonation requires intent, but that will not stop an officer from charging you with a crime.

76-8-512. Impersonation of officer.
A person is guilty of a class B misdemeanor who:
(1) impersonates a public servant or a peace officer with intent to deceive another or with intent to induce another to submit to his pretended official authority or to rely upon his pretended official act;
(2) falsely states he is a public servant or a peace officer with intent to deceive another or to induce another to submit to his pretended official authority or to rely upon his pretended official act; or
(3) displays or possesses without authority any badge, identification card, other form of identification, any restraint device, or the uniform of any state or local governmental entity, or a reasonable facsimile of any of these items, with the intent to deceive another or with the intent to induce another to submit to his pretended official authority or to rely upon his pretended official act.

OfficerMatt

imported post

The funny thing is that i got it to show support for the SLCPD because cops can be good guys and they take a lot of crap trying to keep people safe. Granted yes i know that a lot of them are misinformed and can be... difficult, but i like the good cops lol.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

From a legal standpoint, if they are selling these hats to the general public, then keep the receipt and get a statement on your digital recorder from the seller and keep the audio file on a disk along with the receipt. If you are caught in public wearing the hat while OC, then there is no way you can be charged under the circumstances of the current situation in which you obtained the object in question because the law enforcement entity would have inadvertently facilitated a citizen "impersonating an officer" by providing to the public an object that could cause a misconception or confusion if worn by an OCer, which is a legal act. Plus, they must prove intent. Also, this post would back you up as evidence.

Personally, however, I would approach these guys selling these hats and share my concerns about the possible outcome. I don't think they were thinking clearly when they came up with this idea. :) Just to avoid being charged though, I would not wear this hat while carrying in the open. You know somebody isn't going to like it, and it's going to be perceived the wrong way. That's just the human psyche. ;)

Kevin

turbodog

imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
From a legal standpoint, if they are selling these hats to the general public, then keep the receipt and get a statement on your digital recorder from the seller and keep the audio file on a disk along with the receipt. If you are caught in public wearing the hat while OC, then there is no way you can be charged under the circumstances of the current situation in which you obtained the object in question because the law enforcement entity would have inadvertently facilitated a citizen "impersonating an officer" by providing to the public an object that could cause a misconception or confusion if worn by an OCer, which is a legal act. Plus, they must prove intent. Also, this post would back you up as evidence.

Personally, however, I would approach these guys selling these hats and share my concerns about the possible outcome. I don't think they were thinking clearly when they came up with this idea. :) Just to avoid being charged though, I would not wear this hat while carrying in the open. You know somebody isn't going to like it, and it's going to be perceived the wrong way. That's just the human psyche. ;)

Kevin
They're not the only police department to have the same idea. I have a hat and tee shirt bought from a sherrif's office who's motor squad was selling them as a fundraiser at the annual Rolling Thunder rally in Washington D.C.

Never had any issue from LEO while wearing either. To agree with the others, the law looks at your actions and intent. I also agree with, "don't wear it while carrying" :lol:

OfficerMatt

imported post

turbodog wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:

Kevin
They're not the only police department to have the same idea. I have a hat and tee shirt bought from a sherrif's office who's motor squad was selling them as a fundraiser at the annual Rolling Thunder rally in Washington D.C.

Never had any issue from LEO while wearing either. To agree with the others, the law looks at your actions and intent. I also agree with, "don't wear it while carrying" :lol:

Thanks again for the advice, i will definitely heed it! I was also curious if anyone knew where i could go shooting out in the mountains or whatever with my little brothers, as i dont have the money to go to the impact guns range or anything and would like to teach them about gun safety. Thanks!

OfficerMatt

OfficerMatt

imported post

Thanks again for the advice, i will definitely heed it! I was also curious if anyone knew where i could go shooting out in the mountains or whatever with my little brothers, as i dont have the money to go to the impact guns range or anything and would like to teach them about gun safety. Thanks!

OfficerMatt
Oh i forgot to say that i meant the mountains or wherever in the ogden area.

OfficerMatt