• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is the YMCA a child care facility?

JamesIan

imported post

There are a slew of places I cannot carry due to CEZs and company policies. I'd like to keep that list as small as I can.

Our family has a membership at the YMCA and we go a couple of times per week. Our YMCA has a kid care. It amounts to a good size room and a playground outside.

AmI permitted to CC and OC when I go to work out? I realize all of that is still subject to YMCA policy and the whim of the manager, but I'd like to know what is legal before I go.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

JamesIan wrote:
There are a slew of places I cannot carry due to CEZs and company policies. I'd like to keep that list as small as I can.

Our family has a membership at the YMCA and we go a couple of times per week. Our YMCA has a kid care. It amounts to a good size room and a playground outside.

AmI permitted to CC and OC when I go to work out? I realize all of that is still subject to YMCA policy and the whim of the manager, but I'd like to know what is legal before I go.

Good question James.

If the policy of YMCA is to prohibit weapons/firearms, there's not much you can do at this point. They're going to ask you to leave, call the police or both.

As far as the child care area/room goes, IMO, it would constitute as a CEZ per Section 5o:

(b) A public or private child care center or day care center, public or private child caring institution, or public or private child placing agency.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

If it is like most YMCA's yes it is a daycare. They provide before and after school care to most local elementary schools. They also accept FIA payments from the state as they are a licensed day care. Even though it is limited to one or two rooms the registration of a daycare applies to the entire building. Your only option would be to OC with a CPL in your possesion as you will be exempt from the pistol free zone, and like you said private property rules may make all of this a mute point.

Michigander

imported post

I personally wouldn't do CC anywhere other than the parking lot there, because the law doesn't specify that particular area, leaving the rest of the building okay to use.

I believe an exception to that would be if that particular area of the building was leased or something like that, and an entirely separate entity controlled that portion of the building. Like at a grocery store with a Post Office attached.

The Y doesn't, as far as I know, lease their building to child care agencies, or anyone else. They run the entire show. So in my opinion, the entire place should be regarded as a CEZ.

Michigander

imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
Your only option would be to OC with a CPL in your possesion as you will be exempt from the pistol free zone, and like you said private property rules may make all of this a mute point.
There is nothing anywhere in any Michigan law that requires you carry any ID to OC at a CEZ as a CPL holder. Disclosure and showing ID is only part of CCing, vehicle carry, and perhaps hunting.

Common sense would dictate that you'd want to have it with you. But remember, our gun laws in this state, and many other states, are archaic racism based garbage. Trying to interject common sense into gun laws is something that we must strive not to do, because it doesn't work that way.

maahes

imported post

I had a few long discussions with staff members at the west side Lansing YMCA about this. When I originally signed up for membership I asked about their policy on firearms as there was nothing in the rule pamphlet that they gave me nor anything on the contract that I signed to become a member. I was told CC was ok but "dont let anyone see it as the SWAT team will be called". I never carried as I didnt feel comfortable with the answer. Well a few months down the road they changed their mind when I spoke to one of the supervisors about it. He stated they were a Christian organization registered as a church and do not want firearms on thier properties. I promptly canceled my membership. The last conversation came about as they were telling members to not leave valuables in your car and to walk out in groups after dark due to a robbery and multiple break-ins to cars in the parking lot.

I could never see the logistics of carrying there when I went to work out though. Their lockers are far from secure, and there is constantly people in the locker room who would see you put it in a locker.

Still looking for a carry friendly gym :(

Michigander

imported post

maahes wrote:
The only thing a YMCA really has to offer over at home work outs and jogging on the street is a Sauna (a great tool to detoxify your body), and perhaps an elliptical for those with bad knees.

Dyna bands, free weights, and making full use of different tricks with standard furniture will take care of just about any exercise you need to do.

T Vance

imported post

Michigander wrote:
maahes wrote:
The only thing a YMCA really has to offer over at home work outs and jogging on the street is a Sauna (a great tool to detoxify your body), and perhaps an elliptical for those with bad knees.

Dyna bands, free weights, and making full use of different tricks with standard furniture will take care of just about any exercise you need to do.
Hell, I have an elliptical (and treadmill) in my house.

viperar15

imported post

at the YMCA in Saginaw, it has, or did have... a rifle range in the basement. Used to be a small bore team that used to shoot there.... not sure if that helps in any way... but thought i would throw it out there...

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
imported post

im running into the same situation with LTF, since they have a daycare in it...i just play it safe and dont carry in there because of that...

Haman J.T.

imported post

Michigander wrote:
maahes wrote:

Get a total gym.They're priced from $200 and up.You can cover everything on one.Mine is great!

maahes

imported post

I already have free weights and a 100lb heavy bag. Ive been looking for an elliptical on craigslist, peoeple either want way to much or they are selling junk. Hopefully there will be a bunch of "new years resolutions" ellipticals for sale in about a month :p

I did stop in to Snap Fitness in Mason to talk about membership during the winter. OCd the entire time nothing was said and it was noticed by the employee and a few members.

Haman J.T.

imported post

maahes wrote:
I already have free weights and a 100lb heavy bag. Ive been looking for an elliptical on craigslist, peoeple either want way to much or they are selling junk. Hopefully there will be a bunch of "new years resolutions" ellipticals for sale in about a month :p

I did stop in to Snap Fitness in Mason to talk about membership during the winter. OCd the entire time nothing was said and it was noticed by the employee and a few members.

Half the people that have spoken to me when OCing,asked if it was legal,the other half asked if I was a LEO.I discuss the legality and if I remember to carry an OC pamphlet with me ,I give them one and tell them to go to Opencarry.org and click on the MI thread for the rest of the info they need.

I have a bench and free weights and a power tower.There is very little that I can do on those that I can't do with my Total gym.Ive been tempted to sell them.

mikestilly

imported post

hamaneggs wrote:
maahes wrote:

Half the people that have spoken to me when OCing,asked if it was legal,the other half asked if I was a LEO.I discuss the legality and if I remember to carry an OC pamphlet with me ,I give them one and tell them to go to Opencarry.org and click on the MI thread for the rest of the info they need.

I have a bench and free weights and a power tower.There is very little that I can do on those that I can't do with my Total gym.Ive been tempted to sell them.

Hmmm I should check it out man. I've been looking for something like a total gym. I have a bench, complete weight set, free weights, and a exercise bike. I'd like something total gym like to work with my free weights. Let me know if you plan to sell it :)