• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My OC question & encounter

cowboy67

imported post

Howdy all,

After reading the site for about two weeks now, I started asking people face to face about their OC experience.

I live in Lee County, AL. Just outside Opelika in a community named Beulah. I spoke with the owners of Storys(gun shop/grocery store) & Heart of Dixie. Both of which told me that the area was getting more liberal about the thought of OC and that was about it from them.

This is where it gets weird/funny. I was at the Lee county flea market this past Sunday. There was a guy there who claimed to be a retired chief of police. Not sure where, but he had a jacket that had his name(Jack Frost) & chief of police with a badge. Anyway, he had a S&W 9mm for sale. I got to talking to him about it and brought up the OC question. Thit guy got irate! He got up in my face and was yelling at me that Alabama is not an OC state. I told him he needed to check his facts and started to walk off. He followed me for a few feet and told me..."who ever told you that OC was legal was wrong." I just laughed and looked at my son and told him, he doesn't know what he's talking about. I later encountered him walking the flea market. If looks could kill, I would not be writing this right now. LOL

Oh, He was asking $450 forhis S&W 9mm

kurtmax_0

imported post

cowboy67 wrote:
Howdy all,

After reading the site for about two weeks now, I started asking people face to face about their OC experience.

I live in Lee County, AL. Just outside Opelika in a community named Beulah. I spoke with the owners of Storys(gun shop/grocery store) & Heart of Dixie. Both of which told me that the area was getting more liberal about the thought of OC and that was about it from them.

This is where it gets weird/funny. I was at the Lee county flea market this past Sunday. There was a guy there who claimed to be a retired chief of police. Not sure where, but he had a jacket that had his name(Jack Frost) & chief of police with a badge. Anyway, he had a S&W 9mm for sale. I got to talking to him about it and brought up the OC question. Thit guy got irate! He got up in my face and was yelling at me that Alabama is not an OC state. I told him he needed to check his facts and started to walk off. He followed me for a few feet and told me..."who ever told you that OC was legal was wrong." I just laughed and looked at my son and told him, he doesn't know what he's talking about. I later encountered him walking the flea market. If looks could kill, I would not be writing this right now. LOL

Oh, He was asking $450 for his S&W 9mm

I doubt he was a chief. A retired guy wouldn't be wearing a jacket and badge around. And 450 for a S&W 9mm.. Hah:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=13283

cowboy67

imported post

I guess I should have written it better, his name, police chief, and badge were embroidered on a jacket. He was a pretty gruff looking guy. I highly doubt he was a police chief either.

The pistol was nice, but like you, a little pricey for me. I am looking at a Star PD 45 AVP for half the price

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Well $450 for a police owned and registered gun.
If I wanted a traceable gun I would pay extra for it.:D

Next time just politely ask what law would you be breaking. Besides the law of
common sense buying an overpriced gun.
Or politely remind him it is only when in a vehicle we aren't OC legal.:cuss:

+1 for giving your child correct info, and giving anti a stroke.

HungSquirrel

imported post

cowboy67 wrote:
Both of which told me that the area was getting more liberal about the thought of OC and that was about it from them.
Ironically, in America, the word "liberal" has two (contradictory) meanings. It originally meant "permissive". Lately (the past 50 years or so), many Americans have come to think means "left-wing". Because the two definitions are wildly different, can I ask you to clarify which one you meant? Did you mean permissive of open carry, or prohibitive?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
cowboy67 wrote:
Howdy all,

I doubt he was a chief. A retired guy wouldn't be wearing a jacket and badge around. ...
Why not?

HungSquirrel

imported post

I met a retired Mobile LEO who carried around a badge on his belt right in front of his CC pistol, in case his weapon ever accidentally got exposed.

kurtmax_0

imported post

HankT wrote:
kurtmax_0 wrote:
cowboy67 wrote:
Howdy all,

Oh, He was asking $450 for his S&W 9mm

I doubt he was a chief. A retired guy wouldn't be wearing a jacket and badge around. ...
Why not?

I don't know? Maybe because he's retired and not a cop anymore?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
HankT wrote:
kurtmax_0 wrote:
cowboy67 wrote:
Howdy all,

Why not?

I don't know? Maybe because he's retired and not a cop anymore?
How do you know he's .... retired?

Statesman

imported post

He got up in my face and was yelling at me that Alabama is not an OC state. I told him he needed to check his facts and started to walk off. He followed me for a few feet and told me..."who ever told you that OC was legal was wrong."
Why would any retired police officer get so upset over the subject of OC?