• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unregistered Gun

SlowDog

imported post

I have a question. I think I know the answer but entrust you fine people to reassure my beliefs. My wife and I now own her grandfathers house after he passed. In it we found a pistol. It isn't worth a lot by any means. Just a Ravens 25acp but my wife wants to make it legal because it was her grandfathers and they were very close.

I don't think it was ever registered to him but am not sure.Anyone want to chime in on the SOP of handling this?

Thanks...SlowDog

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

SlowDog wrote:
I have a question. I think I know the answer but entrust you fine people to reassure my beliefs. My wife and I now own her grandfathers house after he passed. In it we found a pistol. It isn't worth a lot by any means. Just a Ravens 25acp but my wife wants to make it legal because it was her grandfathers and they were very close.

I don't think it was ever registered to him but am not sure.Anyone want to chime in on the SOP of handling this?

Thanks...SlowDog

If you have a CPL just fill out the paperwork and where it has seller put grandfather- deceased in that space. Then file the papers.

Otherwise get a Purchase permit and do the same thing. Some may ask for proof of death like a death certificate or Obit or obit church prayer card etc...

The important thing is that the state wants you to register the gun so they are happy to get the paper work on it.

WARCHILD

imported post

I have had experience with this. What Venator says is correct, but they do require a copy of the death certificate for records. As far as the gun possibly showing up in search as stolen, used in a crime...etc. You will not be held responsible because you are there to voluntarily register or turn it in. In flint, I assisted a friend of mine who's father passed away and a gun was found in his dresser. We went to the city pd and in a search...the gun came back stolen from Ohio. Hence the PD kept the gun but said he would not be charged because he brought the gun in and was not the owner in possession.

Yooper

imported post

I doubt anybody will give you any hassle. A friend of mine had an unregistered pistol (revolver) at his grandpa's house. Due to an incident there, the pistol was taken by the State Police. My friend thought the gun was lost, thinking it was confiscated because it was not registered. A few months later, State Police showed up at his grandpa's and returned it. They told his g'pa that is was last registered in California.

They never even told him to get it registered, but he decided to afterwords. He just put his grandpa as the seller, and him as the buyer. He hasn't had any issues with it.

Monster

imported post

I have a follow on question to this discussion.

I have three handguns at my Dads home in Ohio that he has used for many years. I live here in Michigan (for the past ten years) and have a valid Michigan CPL.

My Dad is too old now to be able to handle the handguns safely and has asked me to take them back.

Once I bring them back to Michigan, what is the proper way to register them?

These three guns were purchased in Ohio back in the 70's.

Thanks.

G

imported post

Monster wrote:

I have three handguns at my Dads home in Ohio that he has used for many years. I live here in Michigan (for the past ten years) and have a valid Michigan CPL.

My Dad is too old now to be able to handle the handguns safely and has asked me to take them back.

Thanks.
Don't bring them back to Michigan. Have them shipped from your dad in Ohio via common carrier (UPS/FedEx) to a FFL in Michigan. Then, with your CPL and form RI-60, have them transferred to you by the FFL. Most FFLs will accept a pistol from an individual provided a valid driver's license is included with the shipment.

Here's one located in Northern Macomb county that I know will handle this type of transfer for you:
http://www.customizedcreationz.com/home.html

IT IS UNLAWFUL FOR INDIVIDUALS TO TRANSFER FIREARMS ACROSS STATE LINES.

IT IS ALSO UNLAWFUL FOR AN INDIVIDUAL TO SHIP PISTOLS VIA THE U.S.POSTAL SERVICE!!!

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I am guessing that MI has no specific laws on a firearm being "Gifted" from one family member to another?

I find it weird and very disturbingthat you guys need to register guns tobe considered legal to possess them ? I suppose this will make it easier for the Govt.to round up all the firearms if and when a total ban on them is attempted.

IMO, the county, state, or federal govt. has absolutely no business knowing what type of, orhow many firearms I own.

office888

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
I am guessing that MI has no specific laws on a firearm being "Gifted" from one family member to another?

I find it weird and very disturbingthat you guys need to register guns tobe considered legal to possess them ? I suppose this will make it easier for the Govt.to round up all the firearms if and when a total ban on them is attempted.

IMO, the county, state, or federal govt. has absolutely no business knowing what type of, orhow many firearms I own.
Only pistols.

It stems from an "issue" a long time ago:

Basically, a black doctor shot a couple KKK members with a .38 revolver. So they instituted "handgun registration", which EVEN TODAY asks you "What ethnicity are you?".

Also, it has a basic T/F test on gun safety.

Yup. Awesome.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

office888 wrote:
Nutczak wrote:

Only pistols.

Only pistols hell.

Nut is right, its none of their damn buisiness. Registration leads to confiscation.

Scooter

imported post

Honestly, the first thing that pops into my head when I think aboutowning a unregistered gun: "HA! Nobody will EVER know I have this! If they come for the registered ones they can have them. Too bad about the other ones!";):p

But,...that's probably just me...

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Scooter wrote:
Honestly, the first thing that pops into my head when I think aboutowning a unregistered gun: "HA! Nobody will EVER know I have this! If they come for the registered ones they can have them. Too bad about the other ones!";):p

But,...that's probably just me...
no it isnt ;)

Monster

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
Monster wrote:

Thanks.
Don't bring them back to Michigan. Have them shipped from your dad in Ohio via common carrier (UPS/FedEx) to a FFL in Michigan. Then, with your CPL and form RI-60, have them transferred to you by the FFL. Most FFLs will accept a pistol from an individual provided a valid driver's license is included with the shipment.

Here's one located in Northern Macomb county that I know will handle this type of transfer for you:
http://www.customizedcreationz.com/home.html

IT IS UNLAWFUL FOR INDIVIDUALS TO TRANSFER FIREARMS ACROSS STATE LINES.

IT IS ALSO UNLAWFUL FOR AN INDIVIDUAL TO SHIP PISTOLS VIA THE U.S.POSTAL SERVICE!!!

Here is an update on how it really works:

My FFL dealer told me shipping the guns from Ohio to him was not required. All I had to do was bring the guns up from Ohio and take them to the Oakland County Sheriff's Office (I live in their patrol area), Records Bureau for registration.

I verified this with the SO and they were kind enough to refer me to a link on the Sheriff's Web site (http://www.oakgov.com/sheriff/record/) which reads:

I just moved to Michigan from another state. How do I register my firearm(s)? If you live in one of the communities patrolled by the Sheriff's Office or the Michigan State Police, bring the firearm into the Records Bureau of the Sheriff's Office. Make sure the weapon is unloaded and encased. It may also be helpful to bring prior state registrations (if applicable). We may need to hold the firearms overnight to conduct a record check on it. If the firearm is clear (not stolen, etc.), a Safety Inspection (gun registration) card will be issued.

I followed the rules posted and it works just like it says.