Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: concealed in a vehicle? clarification?

Post imported post

since a gun is considered concealed anywhere in a vehicle, if I have a cpl, can my firearm be on my dashboard?

I wouldn't carry it there, I'm just curious

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
    since a gun is considered concealed anywhere in a vehicle, if I have a cpl, can my firearm be on my dashboard?

Yes. With a CPL you can have the firearm anywhere in the vehicle and anywhere on you. Hang it from the mirror like I do.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:

When you have a CPL you can put the pistol where ever you want. The next question is that a good place for it. Probably not would be my answer. You dont want to forget it on the dash an drive and the pistol goes flying off the dash. If you have a CPL you can put the pistol anywhere you want in the vehicle.

Just remember that if you let someone else drive your car and they dont have a CPL they can be charged with a CCW. This also includes you going in to the store leaving someone else in your car.

Banned

Post imported post

I OC while waiting to get my CPL re activated, so I was wondering.

A gun is considered concealed in a vehicle, but am I breaking the law during the following? I get into the car, unload, put the gun into the safe, slide locked open with the empty mag, then I lock the safe. I put the safe, which is attatched to the car via cable, under the passenger seat, (I have a two seat car, with no trunk. There is no other location in the vehicle available to store the gun. Is it illegal to keep a loaded mag in my pocket? I reverse the process when I exit the vehicle. I open the safe, load the mag, chamber a round, then I exit the vehicle.

Banned

Post imported post

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    I don't know, but while we are on the subject, I OC while waiting to get my CPL re activated, so I was wondering.

A gun is considered concealed in a vehicle, but am I breaking the law during the following? I get into the car, unload, put the gun into the safe, slide locked open with the empty mag, then I lock the safe. I put the safe, which is attatched to the car via cable, under the passenger seat, (I have a two seat car, with no trunk. There is no other location in the vehicle available to store the gun. Is it illegal to keep a loaded mag in my pocket? I reverse the process when I exit the vehicle. I open the safe, load the mag, chamber a round, then I exit the vehicle.

MCL 750.231a A person is permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a trunk, the pistol may be in the passenger compartment of the vehicle unloaded and inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-231a

Banned

Post imported post

OK, I just wasnt sure if I could get into trouble for concealing, while I was actually puting the gun into the safe, because I was technically in a vehicle while locking, or unlocking the gun.

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:

WARNING If you do not have a CPL you can not unload your gun while you are in your vehicle. PLEASE unload your gun when you are outside your vehicle and don't lay a loaded gun on or in your vehicle at anytime.

An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Banned

Post imported post

Thanks! that is what I really needed to know.

I have contacted the legislature about changing this issue. As well as sherriff Bouchard.

What about the Mag? do I have to unload those too?

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
    since a gun is considered concealed anywhere in a vehicle
    No, that's a logical thought but not the case - Michigan simply bans carry in vehicles (even open carry) unless you have the permit to conceal.

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    stainless1911 wrote:

WARNING If you do not have a CPL you can not unload your gun while you are in your vehicle. PLEASE unload your gun when you are outside your vehicle and don't lay a loaded gun on or in your vehicle at anytime.

I would even recommend casing the gun before entering the vehicle. Technically, if the gun is accessible to you in the vehicle, it doesn't matter if it's unloaded. If you have a lockable trunk, that's where it should go. Best thing to do IMHO would be lock it in a case, locked inside the trunk. If it accessible (at any time) to you inside the vehicle (loaded or unloaded), then you are in violation. Since it's not supposed to be accessible to you anyway, why not put it in the trunk. The trunk offers more protection from S&S than the passenger compartment. If it's a truck then I would case and lock the gun on the tailgate after unloading, then cable lock inside the cab.

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    Thanks! that is what I really needed to know.

I have contacted the legislature about changing this issue. As well as sherriff Bouchard.

What about the Mag? do I have to unload those too?
    No mags are fine loaded.

Banned

Post imported post

I have a Ford Festiva there is no trunk, I had to install a bulkhead behind the front seats, both to keep the heat in, and the monoxide out. Basically, the car is now a two seater, there is nothing in the car behind the bulkhead, and this area is sealed. There is simply no way to get into this area of the vehicle short of breaking the windows. The only place to put the gun, is in the gun safe which is attatched to a cable and is stored under the passenger seat. I wish I had a camera to show you, it would be entertaining to say the least.

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    I have a Ford Festiva there is no trunk, I had to install a bulkhead behind the front seats, both to keep the heat in, and the monoxide out. Basically, the car is now a two seater, there is nothing in the car behind the bulkhead, and this area is sealed.
    Does the rear hatch still open? If it does then the gun should go back there. If not then the locked case in the passenger compartment should beok. Just do like Venator said and unload, case, and store the gunbefore you orthe loaded gunenter the vehicle.

Question ....are there any local ordinances or state laws that would allow them to cite you for the modifications you've made to your car? I was once told by a friend who is a retired MSP officer (I know, Iknow, never ask an officer about the law) that they could technically cite youif any stock piece ofequipment was missing or not functioning. His example was rear view mirrors. According to him the law states you must have at least two mirrors but if your car was manufactured with three andone wasbroken off you could still be cited even though you had the minimum required because your car was supposed to have three. I've never taken the time to look into this and had mostly forgotten about it until it just popped back into my head.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Post imported post

although still unlawful transport without a cpl, a pistol IN a vehicle is not necessarily concealed legally or otherwise. the law does not reference transporting a pistol ON a vehicle. Setting your pistol on your hood/trunk/roof while unloading or whatever would not violate the letter of the law.

here is a new question that popped into my head...

if you are in a car parked without any keys in the ignition are you still transporting? It would take an indefinite period of time for ups to deliver a package to my house if they used a non-running vehicle.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Banned

Post imported post

No, the hatch does not open.

Unloading/ loading the gun outside, is going to attract a lot of attension, and result in a lot more calls to police, as well as to let a watching criminal know that I both have a gun, and that it is unavailable for self defense.

The cop that illegally ticketed me for CC when I was OC, really shot himself in the foot on this one! The only reason he was screwing with me in the first place, was because I was OC. Now I have to load/unload outside in veiw of everyone, and I OC with a thigh holster now, which makes the gun way more visible.:P

See also. : http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/35353.html

Post imported post

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    No, the hatch does not open.

Unloading/ loading the gun outside, is going to attract a lot of attension, and result in a lot more calls to police, as well as to let a watching criminal know that I both have a gun, and that it is unavailable for self defense.

The cop that illegally ticketed me for CC when I was OC, really shot himself in the foot on this one! The only reason he was screwing with me in the first place, was because I was OC. Now I have to load/unload outside in veiw of everyone, and I OC with a thigh holster now, which makes the gun way more visible.:P

See also. : http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/35353.html

Are you hercprsound?

If so, then in that thread, the OP (you or him:?) stated that he has a CPL which allows him to carry inside the vehicle.

One of the draw backs of OC, as well as one of the reasons people get a CPL is the inconvience of having to arm and disarm in the public view. Without the CPL, it cannot be legally unloaded or loaded inside the vehicle.

Banned

Post imported post

yes, I guess you could see hercprsound. I am no longer using the account.

I tried to delete the other account, but I really don't know how.

What If I left the car door open untill I make the gun unsafe by placing it tn the safe? Would it be considered concealed?

Banned

Post imported post

Are you hercprsound?

If so, then in that thread, the OP (you or him:?) stated that he has a CPL which allows him to carry inside the vehicle.

Yes I am Herc, I just don't know how to delete the account.

My CPL is currently suspended because of this hot-dog cop that illegally ticketed me for CCW when I was OC with a CPL.

I am trying to get through the suspension until I get to court, without getting another BS ticket. Apparently this cop is too afraid of real criminals so he is "doing his job" by "enforcing the law".

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

OK, help me understand why you would ditch one account for another. Please explain.springerdave.

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    Are you hercprsound?

Yes I am Herc, I just don't know how to delete the account.

My CPL is currently suspended because of this hot-dog cop that illegally ticketed me for CCW when I was OC with a CPL.

I am trying to get through the suspension until I get to court, without getting another BS ticket. Apparently this cop is too afraid of real criminals so he is "doing his job" by "enforcing the law".
    Okay, gotcha.

Yeah, unfortunately the best way to ensure no violations is to load and unload outside the vehicle.

Post imported post

springerdave wrote:
    OK, help me understand why you would ditch one account for another. Please explain.springerdave.
    People do that sort of thing for various reasons. I don't think he really owes us an explanation as to why.

stainless1911,

Were you wearing your thigh rig when the cop ticketed you?

Banned

Post imported post

No, it was warm then, and I was OC on my hip with a blackhawk serpa holster, now that I no longer have the option to CC, I made a thigh rig out of it, which gets it below my coat/flanel, and makes the OC way more noticeable.

I just wanted to lose the other screen name, in favor of one more gun related. I used to frequent heartbeatpleasure.net, and I made up the herc name for that, but most of the time when I am online, Im talking about guns.Thanks for the respect ghost.

Post imported post

mikestilly wrote:
    Just remember that if you let someone else drive your car and they dont have a CPL they can be charged with a CCW. This also includes you going in to the store leaving someone else in your car.
    Mike - are you sure about that? I can't have my gun in my glovebox when I have a passenger in the car? Cite?
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast