• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recall a U.S. Senator

Squeak

imported post

I know this an uphill battle to say the least, but I need some help. The state of WA has a recall process for recalling a U.S. Senator but I can't find any proper process in doing so. The WWW seems to of no help as they keep referring to a site that has no specific instructions. Some of the requirements-be a state that is on the list, done. The number of signatures, done. The reason for recall-different for each state, a blank. I'm looking for specifics. Since WA is D, they assume I'm a R and give me the run around. Please PM me if you can help. The threat of a recall is all I have left to fight this so called health bill. Thanks!

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I was thinking something similar but also had no idea where to start. I wrote Patty Murphy and got a letter back , THANKING ME FOR MY SUPPORT!!!!! :banghead:Obvious her or her staff didn't read my e-mail.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member

Squeak

Squeak

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
I was thinking something similar but also had no idea where to start. I wrote Patty Murphy and got a letter back , THANKING ME FOR MY SUPPORT!!!!! :banghead:Obvious her or her staff didn't read my e-mail.
Welcome!! I wrote Norm Dicks and got 4 replies; all carbon copies. Wrote Cant-very-well, took so long I forgot what the topic was (concerning health), Tennis shoe Murray wasn't any better. Yeah, thanking me for support! Gawd, man are they really that stupid!!! Where is Warren and Magneson when ya need them?:banghead::banghead::banghead:

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Does that link help?

Basically, you may need to start with some kind of petition at your election office: http://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/Default.aspx

They also have links to your various county election offices and contact information for the auditors there.

Call call call! I think they don't make this information known either cause few people ask or they don't want you to know.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Squeak When you get it figured out, I will get signatures etc from this side of the state, just let me know and you have my help.

Squeak

imported post

Orphan wrote:
Squeak When you get it figured out, I will get signatures etc from this side of the state, just let me know and you have my help.
Thanks! I contacted the courthouse and they told me that being this close to the health care vote that they wouldn't get the notice. I think I'm going to talk to a couple of my radio talk show hosts and see what they can do. Thanks for your support. I'm just running a little late.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

If you can I think it's something to do since they both have not fulfilled their oaths as senators, and have not read and have passed numerous unread bills.

Squeak

imported post

I haven't heard back from my buddy in the broadcact business, but all of your responses are encouraging! Let's get some more on board. I've contacted the national gun forum and got some push from them.:celebrate

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Squeak wrote:
I've contacted the national gun forum and got some push from them.:celebrate
Which one would that be, please?

From some other forum...

As you pointed out, the key to success in politics is actually doing
something - not just talking about it.

And, as you learned in the LTS, mobilization of the membership is the key to
getting things done.

Unfortunately, the reality of the situation is that we can only mobilize
people on a limited number of occasions each legislative session. I wish it
was different. But, it is not.

In the past, we have tried to mobilize the membership on multiple issues
simultaneously. What we found is that the membership could not be bothered
with supporting multiple issues simultaneously.

When legislators see GrassRoots leadership attempt to mobilize the
membership and then fail to do so, the legislators see that as a sign the
issue is not important and that the legislators can ignore or oppose it.
Failure to mobilize when trying to do so is a sign of weakness.

I was so disappointed in the lack of support for multiple issues that I
considered quitting. But, I finally realized I should be thankful for
getting support for one issue at a time rather than complaining about lack
of support for multiple issues.

Then, I realized that if GrassRoots leadership is able to successfully
mobilize people on one issue at a time, we can demonstrate to the
politicians that we are able to mobilize people if we need to do so. The
threat of mobilizing people can be effective when there is a history of
actually being able to mobilize people. But, if our history is one of only
sometimes being able to mobilize people, then we appear to be less of a
threat to the politicians.

So, while you think we are being weak for failing to try to mobilize members
on multiple issues simultaneously, the fact of the matter is that we are
forced to pick our battles carefully and use the threat of mobilization on
the other battles. If we tried to mobilize members and failed to do so,
then we would actually be doing harm to the prospects of getting the issue
passed that we were unable to mobilize the members for.

When the House actually holds a hearing on H. 3994, GrassRoots leadership
will be there. But, GrassRoots does not set the House's agenda, the House
leadership does.

But, this session we were on continuous standby to go into action on S.
593. We were not willing to jeopardize S. 593 by mobilizing members on
another issue and then not be able to mobilize them on S. 593 if needed.

One of the toughest parts of being an activist is coming to realize that
most people do not care about the issue that you support. Even your
supporters usually do not support things as strongly as you do, which is why
you are known as "activist." If everyone supported your issue as strongly
as you do, then there would be no need for you to be an "activist."

So, of all the issues that GrassRoots supports, which issue do you think we
should mobilize the troops for?
Code:

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

[align=left]Squeak,

Are you trying to recall both Senators?

You did read the statute as well, right? What ever you send the Election Office/Board of Elections, it will have to meet criteria as set forth in the Revised Code of Washington, 29A.56.110.
Whenever any legal voter of the state or of any political subdivision thereof, either individually or on behalf of an organization, desires to demand the recall and discharge of any elective public officer of the state or of such political subdivision, as the case may be, under the provisions of sections 33 and 34 of Article 1 of the Constitution, the voter shall prepare a typewritten charge, reciting that such officer, naming him or her and giving the title of the office, has committed an act or acts of malfeasance, or an act or acts of misfeasance while in office, or has violated the oath of office, or has been guilty of any two or more of the acts specified in the Constitution as grounds for recall. The charge shall state the act or acts complained of in concise language, give a detailed description including the approximate date, location, and nature of each act complained of, be signed by the person or persons making the charge, give their respective post office addresses, and be verified under oath that the person or persons believe the charge or charges to be true and have knowledge of the alleged facts upon which the stated grounds for recall are based.

For the purposes of this chapter:

(1) "Misfeasance" or "malfeasance" in office means any wrongful conduct that affects, interrupts, or interferes with the performance of official duty;

(a) Additionally, "misfeasance" in office means the performance of a duty in an improper manner; and

(b) Additionally, "malfeasance" in office means the commission of an unlawful act;

(2) "Violation of the oath of office" means the neglect or knowing failure by an elective public officer to perform faithfully a duty imposed by law.
[/quote]
[/align]
And from Article I of your state constitution:

SECTION 33 RECALL OF ELECTIVE OFFICERS. Every elective public officer of the state of Washington expect [except] judges of courts of record is subject to recall and discharge by the legal voters of the state, or of the political subdivision of the state, from which he was elected whenever a petition demanding his recall, reciting that such officer has committed some act or acts of malfeasance or misfeasance while in office, or who has violated his oath of office, stating the matters complained of, signed by the percentages of the qualified electors thereof, hereinafter provided, the percentage required to be computed from the total number of votes cast for all candidates for his said office to which he was elected at the preceding election, is filed with the officer with whom a petition for nomination, or certificate for nomination, to such office must be filed under the laws of this state, and the same officer shall call a special election as provided by the general election laws of this state, and the result determined as therein provided. [AMENDMENT 8, 1911 p 504 Section 1. Approved November, 1912.]

So is the WA Constitution saying that anyone that is successfully recalled, must call a special election themselves?

Squeak

imported post

Doug, Thanks for your input. Nationalgunforum.com. My intention is to get the senators' attention. They answer with form letters not answering the question and phone calls, well, I won't go there! I guess I'm grasping at straws but letters and calling isn't working. I'm kinda at the next level.

imported post

If you truly want to get their "attention," you need to forget letter-writing, etc.

Show up in person, at sunrise, at their HOME, ring the doorbell.

Priceless.

In THE POLICE STATE OF LOUISIANA, Bobby Jindal presiding, OC'ing at a private residence is perfectly lawful, even at a political whore's address, as long as no direct threats are spoken.

I'd like to apologize to the actual prostitutes of this country for associating a politician with their profession.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
If you truly want to get their "attention," you need to forget letter-writing, etc.

Show up in person, at sunrise, at their HOME, ring the doorbell.

Priceless.

Bwaahahaha, that would be priceless indeed. You may want to avoid carrying any firearms about your person.