• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Covering the Serial Number

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

This has been discussed before... perhaps someone less lazy than me will post a link to the other thread where we thoroughly hashed this out.

I'll summarize my view here:

1) The legislature's intent here was obviously to prevent someone from PERMANENTLY preventing the SN from being read.

2) If all "covering" of a SN were illegal, then what constitutes "covered" for purposes of this statue?
  • My car has a SN on it (commonly referred to as "VIN"); when it's cold outside my window fogs over, obscuring the SN; when it's hot outside I use a sun shade that prevents looking through the front window where the SN is. Are these violations?
  • My TV has a SN on it, yet when I moved a couple years ago I draped a blanket over it to prevent damage to it, coincidentally covering the SN. Is this a violation?
I'd love to see some case law on this one way or the other. And until then I'm not planning to be a test case. The political climate is such that a conviction is almost certain in most jurisdictions. However, I think a conviction under this PC would be easily overturned on appeal.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

just obtain permission from the manufacturer and your all good. I am sure many manufacturers would not object to pro-2 reasons.

yelohamr

imported post

My Sig Sauer has at least 2 visible serial numbers.My new Sigma .40 only has 1 serial number on it and it seems that it got covered when I put on the rail adapter for the laser sight or bayonet or light.

Thank you S&W.

PincheOgro1

imported post

I have a Smith and Wesson Sigma Series, .40 cal. The serial number is under the muzzle on the polymer part of the gun. I bought a LASER sight for the gun, and it attaches to the gun UNDER the muzzle on the Polymer part of the gun (gun RAIL).

What do they expect you to attach accessories to, if you can't attach them to the RAIL system on the gun.

This is MY OPINION, but I think, that that PC is infering to the destruction, hiding, or scraping off of the serial number with the intent to commit some othercrime.

I want to know if it is legal to openly carry your weapon in a vehicle. PC 12025 refers to concealed weapons, ansd says a pistol in a HOLSTER is not considered cocealed (as pertaining to the PC). If you want to "OPEN CARRY", but have to lock up your weapon in a case, or in the trunk, when you get in the car... This seems STUPID.

It's better to have a gun, and never need it, than to need one and NOT have it !!!

Rusty

imported post

PincheOgro1, hey welcome, do not think I have seen you in here before.

Carrying in a car is legal, there are several threads on this. Just make sure you steer clear of any school zones if you are going to do this (Not so easy in a car).

PincheOgro1

imported post

Rusty,

Thank you. I am a new member here. I just purchased my gun in Nov '09. I have been reading PC's and CFL even before I got posession of my gun to make sure I was/would bein compliance. I am a republican (that should say it all), and pro 2A.

cato

imported post

My solution for this issue would be to carry with the slide locked back and without a mag. Most serpa CQC holsters allow the chamber to be seen without removing the firearm from the holster.

Get the officer onvideo with, "can't you see it's empty? Nothing in the chamber and no mag". Yes well... "Thanks officer you have a good day now..." see ya by...

Also there are models of S&W revolvers which have the sn under the grip. My 2" with crimson trace grips covers the sn. One needs a screw driver to get to it.

But although a violation of the 4th A.having you sn run in the date base creates a proof positiverecord that you and yourfirearm were seized absent consent.