• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just got the CT Non-Resident Permit Application in the mail... Now what?

thejax

imported post

Maybe I am new at this but the process, to me, just doesn't seem clear.

I called the DPS to inquire about the paperwork once I received it. They told me my Basic Pistol Class had to be taken in CT and that I had to have a local permit first.

I told them I was a non-resident and applying for a non-resident permit and that the paperwork doesn't say that.

So I travel to CT on occasion for work so going there is never a problem. Not that far from me.

They told me that if I apply for a non-resident permit and not yet have a local permit, application will be delayed considerably. Also that if my Basic Pistol Class was taken outside CT and/or its more than 5 years old, it may also delay my permit process considerably.

Is this for real or are they just trying to deter me on the phone from applying? If I wanted to get a local permit, which municipalities would issue them incase I still wanted to go that route anyway? Also, whats with these Fees everyone is talking about in the other threads?

mrjam2jab

imported post

I'm in PA...I applied in beginning of October....received the permit beginning of November. Took my Basic class here in PA. Whole process was done thru the mail.

Just send it in with proof of your Basic...

buketdude

imported post

I know a couple people who have CT Permits (non-res)..they did not take a class here in CT...I don't know what they mean by "local permit"..that is a resident issue only..unless they mean a home state permit from NJ...

I have never heard of if you cert thatis over 5 years old it might take longer either..

It seems either the person you spoke with has no idea what they are talking about..or DPS has decided they wish to further circumsize the State Constitution.

thejax

imported post

buketdude wrote:
I know a couple people who have CT Permits (non-res)..they did not take a class here in CT...I don't know what they mean by "local permit"..that is a resident issue only..unless they mean a home state permit from NJ...

I have never heard of if you cert thatis over 5 years old it might take longer either..

It seems either the person you spoke with has no idea what they are talking about..or DPS has decided they wish to further circumsize the State Constitution.
Thats what I was thinking. So as long as I took the NRA Basic Pistol Course and I qualify for the permit in regards to my record I would be good to go and everything else is just nonsense?

Hef

imported post

I sent in my app, passport photos, fingerprint cards, and notarized color copies of my SC DL, SC CWP, and NRA certificate. I got my permit in roughly 8 weeks.

mrjam2jab

imported post

thejax wrote:
mrjam2jab,

You are talking about the CT permit, correct?

Anyone else with their opinion on what i was told?

Yes...i got the CT permit.

I just noticed your location has you in NJ....that could be a problem..on the 1st page of the application...DPS-799

You must hold a valid permit or license to carry a pistol or revolver issued by a recognized United States jurisdiction.

thejax

imported post

mrjam2jab,

I regards to what you said in regards to having a permit in another jurisdiction, I have a FL CCW. When O called the CT DPS, I also inquired about this. I was told that it does not have to be a permit in my state of residence but just any permit from a recognized US jurisdiction. I told her I had a FL CCW but was a NJ resident. She told me if I send a copy of it, that would be fine.

I almost want to get everything together then go up to the DPS personally to apply to make sure someone tells me in person I have everything. It seems this shall-issue process in CT is becoming more and more of a burden everyday that people are being unenthusiastic about applying. At least thats what I get from other threads.

mrjam2jab

imported post

Ok...then you're good. Just fill out the app...send copies of your training cert., FL CCW, Proof of US citizenship ( I used voter registration)...

The "local" thing...is a CT resident has to apply to the local Police to get a Temp permit and then take that permit and apply for a State permit at DPS.

You being a non-res get to skip the local process and apply directly to the state.

Since you go to CT for work, you will want that permit...as they dont acknowledge any other state.

thejax

imported post

Sounds good. If I wanted a local permit, is there any municipality that would allow me to apply as a non-resident? I heard from the grapevine that since the local permits are only for that town and thats it, the town usually only issues to residents or non-residents that work within the town. Any town that issues permits to anyone who wants them? I would think that for income purposes, there has to be a few in CT.

mrjam2jab

imported post

I dont know if they issue a Local permit to non-res. However, read the left hand column of the 799 link i gave above.

If you are going to send them your $70, go right to the State.

The local permit, cost of $70 is a TEMPORARY permit, only good for 60 days. Then the resident has to go apply for the State permit, another $70. So if you go the local route it would cost you $140...

Edward Peruta

imported post

If you maintain a "RESIDENCE" in a location where there is a local issuing authority, you may apply for and obtain the 60 Day Temporary State Permit which must be surrendered for the 5 year permit.

Non Residents can only obtain a Non Resident State Permit directly from the Connecticut Department of Public Safety and only f they possess a firearms carry permit from a state where they maintain a residence.

Local issuing authorities DO NOT accept applications or issue NON RESIDENT permits in CT.

The intitial permit issued locally is no longer a LOCAL permit. It entitles individuals to carry in any Connecticut location where carrying is permitted.

You may have more thanone residence but only one domicile.

This should answer any further quesitons.

Leverdude

imported post

The temp permit is a state permit now, not a local one. I imagine its just a way to let the local police collect some money.

If you live in Jersey you still cant carry thru NYS with a CT permit so I'm not sure how you can carry from Jersey to CT without risking arrest in NYS.

mrjam2jab

imported post

Leverdude wrote:
The temp permit is a state permit now, not a local one. I imagine its just a way to let the local police collect some money.

If you live in Jersey you still cant carry thru NYS with a CT permit so I'm not sure how you can carry from Jersey to CT without risking arrest in NYS.

.stored in the trunk or locked in a case .. per 926?

Leverdude

imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
Leverdude wrote:

.stored in the trunk or locked in a case .. per 926?
Yup, could do that as long as its unloaded and he would be legal.