• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster required?

Michigander

imported post

Venator wrote:
He has to answer why he does it, but I think it's because he's a free man in a free state. No other reason needed.
Under archaic and racist old gun laws, we need permission to carry a modern handgun. We are subject to heavy taxes, some of the heaviest in the country. We can be arrested and sent to prison for carrying knives and other non firearm weapons. We are in no way shape or form free, or in a free state. We in Michigan are subjects of a tyrannical government which the founders would be disgusted by.

Off topic I know, but just sayin'. :uhoh:

NovaMan

imported post

To answer the question of why I would want to OC anything larger than a handgun, well, why would anyone want to OC any gun? Why would anyone want to carry a gun at all? Why would I rather carry a 38 than a pellet gun?

But why is not the issue in this thread: I'm still waiting for a law, AG opinion, or legal precedent of some kind requiring a holster to OC.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NovaMan wrote:
To answer the question of why I would want to OC anything larger than a handgun, well, why would anyone want to OC any gun? Why would anyone want to carry a gun at all? Why would I rather carry a 38 than a pellet gun?

But why is not the issue in this thread: I'm still waiting for a law, AG opinion, or legal precedent of some kind requiring a holster to OC.
People carry guns for self-defense.

OCing a handgun in most urban locations is using a reasonably good all-purpose defensive tool. OCing a rifle in such a location, ahmmm, probably not so useful.

The pellet gun example is inapt.

Do you plan to OC the long gun if it can be done without a holster legally? Why?

Where and why, NM?

And when?

It will be interesting to hear your report of the event.

NovaMan

imported post

Hank, take a look at the information to the left of this sentence and guess where I might want to carry. Why do you want to know? Are you going to come try to find me and gun me down? Are you going to call the cops and warn them someone might be legally carrying a weapon?

Is there an ignore option on this message board?

I'm still waiting for a law, AG opinion, or legal precedent of some kind requiring a holster to OC.

Michigander

imported post

NovaMan wrote:
There is no law to stop you from stepping outside the boundaries of the protections against a brandishing charge, but if you get in trouble doing so it's all on you.

Most here are rather brave sorts who aren't afraid of unlawful police actions, but I think most here will agree that it pays to make sure any nonsense criminal charges will be dropped without much fuss, which is why few advocate long gun OC in urban areas.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NovaMan wrote:
Hank, take a look at the information to the left of this sentence and guess where I might want to carry. Why do you want to know? Are you going to come try to find me and gun me down?
Huh?????????

I've got to gently suggest, NM, that this statement is rather ..... absurd.

May I suggest you reflect on how it looks in print and how uncalled for and weird it looks?

NovaMan wrote:
Are you going to call the cops and warn them someone might be legally carrying a weapon?

No.

You seem to be a little, uhm, erratic, NM. And testy/emotional.

With a twist of paranoia,perhaps.

mikestilly

imported post

Hank I have some questions for you. Where are you from? Why are you asking questions about OC holsters & slings? Are you doing some kind of government research? Why do you do it? For what reason or purpose? Do you work for a government agency? Federal or local?

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Michigander wrote:
Venator wrote:
Under archaic and racist old gun laws, we need permission to carry a modern handgun. We are subject to heavy taxes, some of the heaviest in the country. We can be arrested and sent to prison for carrying knives and other non firearm weapons. We are in no way shape or form free, or in a free state. We in Michigan are subjects of a tyrannical government which the founders would be disgusted by.
That was just worth repeating:dude:

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

What is the motto again?

A right unexercised is a right lost.

I really don't carry a longun openly because as of yet I do not have a tactical advantage in doing so, should the need arise, I want the legal options to remain open to me.

If My pistol was being held as evidence, then I would OC my mossberg 695, but the problem is, that not only would I be kicked out of the places which currently tolerate my OC handgun, it could do more harm to the OC cause than good. When we get enough people to OC handguns that it becomes commonplace, and a non issue, THEN, we should all start OC long guns.

If I have my 12ga. in the car, and it breaks down, then I would throw it over my shoulder, and start walking home. I wouldn't want to leave it in the car, and it would give me a good excuse to enjoy the A2 toOC a 12ga., but I don't expect to catch a ride home either.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

mikestilly wrote:
Hank I have some questions for you. Where are you from? Why are you asking questions about OC holsters & slings? Are you doing some kind of government research? Why do you do it? For what reason or purpose? Do you work for a government agency? Federal or local?
MS, you forgot....international.....

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Oh, well, hell....

Mike disagreed with something; we must all follow Mike...

And in regards to using a gun for self defense: You state that using a rifle in an most urban enviroments most likely would not be useful. I would rather have a rifle, personally. Fits better in my hands, more accurate, and just handles better overall.

The only reason that I don't carry a rifle is it would be to damn inconvenient for me. Entering, exiting a vehicle, primarily.

Once again, Hank, thanks for your opinion. Of course, one has to consider the fact that opinions are like bum-holes. The vast majority of people have one, and quite a few of them are completely full of crap.

T Vance

imported post

HankT wrote:
NovaMan wrote:
Aha! Thanks for answering my question.
NM, here's a post by Mike you might want to read. Maybe you can share notes with Leonard Embody or sumpin'.

The Nashville City Paper quotes OpenCarry.org's Mike Stollenwerk re overexuberant park carry of AK-47

Gunman vows to continue carrying AK-47 to parks

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/35641.html

I think these users made somegood points.

slowfiveoh wrote:

"You know, I joined this forum because I thought after months of observation, that the majority of you really were for 2A and RKBA. I joined because I saw a group of people trying to do the right thing.

Now I see a group of people replying to this guy like the very "anti's" they oppose. Why don't you guys go ahead and keep trying to tell this guy what is appropriate to carry?

Who the hell are you to tell him what he should be carrying or not carrying? Who the hell are you to tell him he is "grandstanding"? I have likewise contemplated the purchase of an AR pistol and may yet buy one!

Last I checked, the name of this site was "opencarry.com". Not "opencarrypistols.com". Not "opencarrypistolswith10orlessrounds.com".

I charge each and every person here retaliating against this guy with, blatant ignorance. There are pistols that have far more kick than an AK based pistol, so get over your whimsical "omg it's an assault rifle" problem, because it's NOT an assault rifle.

Is it just me or did this site just get overrun by retarded lefty anti-gun radicals? Should i open a foam helmet stand and make a profit?"

THUNDAR wrote:

"I have been alone in the Long Gun Open sCarry (LGOC) wilderness here for years. Yes those that tell us don't do it do sound like anti's right down to their "you are gonna ruin it for the rest of us" crap.

There is a motto here "A right unexercised is a right lost" Ithink that the worst way to lose your right is not an anti stealing it based upon illogical emotional arguments, but loss due to fear of using it.

Exercise your rights. It feels great to be a free man. It also feels great supporting other free men that exercise their rights
."

G

imported post

I see Hank T is labeled as a "State Researcher".

What state is he researching for?

He obviously has not done adequate research on Michigan's firearm laws.

Therefore any opinions he offers are not based on any accurate knowledge.

I suggest that Hank T conducts some remedial research on Michigan firearm laws before he promulgates his ill conceived notions further on the subject matter.

Another suggestion... go debate OC with DD at MGO. The two of you ought to get along real good.

Michigander

imported post

I have been screamed at and belittled by ass hole felon cops for OCing with the exact same rig they had on too. I find it very hard to draw a moral line in the sand about what kinds of weapons we should be carrying. It is better to stay united in terms of agreeing that we have a constitutional and natural/god given right to carry.

However, I do find it easy to suggest that wearing militant looking or otherwise potentially offensive clothing is probably a bad idea when folks know you're packing. In terms of OCing, demeanor and appearance are extremely important.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Michigander wrote:
I have been screamed at and belittled by ass hole felon cops for OCing with the exact same rig they had on too. I find it very hard to draw a moral line in the sand about what kinds of weapons we should be carrying. It is better to stay united in terms of agreeing that we have a constitutional and natural/god given right to carry.

However, I do find it easy to suggest that wearing militant looking or otherwise potentially offensive clothing is probably a bad idea when folks know you're packing. In terms of OCing, demeanor and appearance are extremely important.

Hmm, that kind of thinking has been bandied about here before:

longwatch wrote:
moz-screenshot-5.jpg
Well tecnically I guess its OC just very ostentacious. I think a good belt holster will perform well enough in the circumstance you describe and less likely to draw unwanted attention. But its not illegal so if you are determined, good luck let us know how it goes.
I imagine this is the kind of vest you are thinking of.
policestuff_1941_61412413

But I think you would be better served with a concealed permit and a vest like the following.
policestuff_1937_117271521
vest_v03_front.gif
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=1826

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NovaMan wrote:
HankT wrote:

Nope, just don't like it when trolls jack my threads.

Hmm, NM, that still doesn't explain a comment like this:

NovaMan wrote:
Hank, take a look at the information to the left of this sentence and guess where I might want to carry. Why do you want to know? Are you going to come try to find me and gun me down?

It's a weird statement.

Do you think that any other people on the Internet are out to get you?

That they will come and gun you down?

Please, NM, I beseech you. If you see somebody in the street and you think they are not liking you.....and you think they are trying to gun you down....

Do think twice.

It's all right.

G

imported post

NovaMan wrote:
HankT wrote:

Nope, just don't like it when trolls jack my threads.
He's not a troll. He's conducting research for the state.