• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does Anyone Reload Ammo for Practice in CT

denverr1

imported post

Hey Guys
Anyone reload in CT that sells them or like to teach me how its done.!!

Now with prices so high and hard to find i thought it would be good to do !!

How hard is it ? is it worth doing???

stacks04

imported post

it is rather simple and it is worth it if you have a stash of brass already. if not the brass and components will almost negate any cost savings your first couple of loadings. i do it and started early this year. it has enabled me to shoot more so i like it. i went to cabelas and bought the lee kit, a set of dies and went to work. i also bought a few books, the hornady book, and the abc of reloading. also alot of reading online. i have a few good sites, but not sure if i can post them.

denverr1

imported post

stacks04 wrote:
it is rather simple and it is worth it if you have a stash of brass already. if not the brass and components will almost negate any cost savings your first couple of loadings. i do it and started early this year. it has enabled me to shoot more so i like it. i went to cabelas and bought the lee kit, a set of dies and went to work. i also bought a few books, the hornady book, and the abc of reloading. also alot of reading online. i have a few good sites, but not sure if i can post them.
how do you get the brass ?

Do you just go and ask your local Range?
do they charge you ?

how much did it cost you for all the hardware

thanks !!

BPK63

imported post

There are books out there like the ABC's of reloading you should check out first. You aquire brass over time. Reuse store bought loads, pick up brass at the range, and the hard to find stuff you can buy online as once fired brass. You'll have to buy a good press, primers are sometimes hard to come by, powder, bullets. Different bullets require different charges depending on their weight. I would suggest you pick up that book and go through it first to get an idea of what you are getting into. It's not hard to do but you do have to be careful. A misloaded shell can really ruin your day.

stacks04

imported post

denverr1 wrote:
stacks04 wrote:
how do you get the brass ?

Do you just go and ask your local Range?
do they charge you ?

how much did it cost you for all the hardware

thanks !!
i knew that the day would come eventually that i would reload. i started saving the brass the first time i went to the range with my guns. i eventually had quite a bit. my .45 not so much being i had just bought them at the beginning of last year weeks before i bought my press, and stumbled across some once fired stuff from hoffmans on the berlin turnpike. 5 bucks for 100 cases. so i bought about 5 or six of those. i currently have a couple thousand of each case i use, and use relatively light loads in them so they should last a good while.

also yes some ranges will let you take the brass, they may charge you, but you need to give it a look first to see if there is a plentiful assortment of what you will need.

or just go shoot more now and save your brass.:)

Leverdude

imported post

Reloading isn't hard at all. As for getting brass, you can buy it, scrounge it at many ranges or just reuse brass from factory ammo you shot. I'v been doing it 5 years or so & in several calibers I have yet to but brass. I shoot ALOT more than I did before too.

Buy a couple books or manuals & I'd suggest a starter kit from Lee Precision. The one I bought came with a very good book explaining everything you need to know plus has alot of load data in it.

Blackbird

imported post

I've been reloading my own ammo for 15 years now. It's a great way to save money and to relax. It's very easy with a progressive press. I have had a few primers go off when reloading because they got hung up in the pocket. Scares the crap out of you but it's relatively harmless. I also collected the brass from when I started shooting and collected the brass that others left behind at the range. You have to inspect each one and track how many times you reload them. They do crack and thin out too much over time. They stretch and you have to trim them. Eventually they get unusable. But it is defenitly a worthwhile investment if you shoot often. And it can be a lot of fun if you are a details oriented kind of person.