Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: HB 54 Handguns in courthouses.

  1. #1
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...e?101+sum+HB54

    Handguns in courthouses. Allows a person who may lawfully possess a firearm to carry a handgun into a courthouse when the courthouse is being used for non-judicial activities.

    TFred

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,201

    Post imported post

    This is certainly another good one. No need in folks being dis-armed if court is not in session. Heck I'd be willing to say that they don't need to be disarmed when court IS in session.

  3. #3
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    jmelvin wrote:
    No need in folks being dis-armed if court is not in session. Heck, I'd be willing to say that they don't need to be disarmed when court IS in session.
    I am in 100% agreement with this statement.

    It's funny how lopsided the execution of the existing laws are. In Virginia Beach there are metal detectors at every courthouse entrance. One is not permitted to bring cellular phones, pocketknives or anything else of consequence into the courthouse BUILDING, which houses not only the Child & Family Services Unit, but also the Clerk's Office (deeds and records, marriage and fishing licenses, etc) which is a common destination for many Land Law types and engineering and surveying firms doing research for development... it is downright ridiculous.

    I was in Hyde County, NC a few weeks ago and they have a sign outside the back door (and ONLY the back door) which reads: Concealed Firearms Prohibited. No metal detectors, no sign at the general entrance, nothing.

    All laws abhorrent to the 2nd Amendment and Article 1, Section 13 of the Virginia Constitution should be immediately abolished as they are in direct violation of sovereign rights.

    Deo Vindice.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  4. #4
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    TFred wrote:
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...e?101+sum+HB54

    Handguns in courthouses. Allows a person who may lawfully possess a firearm to carry a handgun into a courthouse when the courthouse is being used for non-judicial activities.

    TFred
    Fred, That's not a good law. It's another prize in the "Perks for Permits" Game show.

    I find it a little disconcerting that on a board named Opencarry.org, where the members Open Carry because they have a right to, applaud bills that give Concealed Handgun Permit holders, special privileges (Note the syntax) that have no bearing on Concealing a handgun.

  5. #5
    Regular Member zoom6zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dale City, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,694

    Post imported post

    Right... so not only can't I carry my pistol for my self defense, if I'm attacked on the long hike from wherever I've parked, I don't even have the ability to call 911.

  6. #6
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    peter nap wrote:
    TFred wrote:
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...e?101+sum+HB54

    Handguns in courthouses. Allows a person who may lawfully possess a firearm to carry a handgun into a courthouse when the courthouse is being used for non-judicial activities.

    TFred
    Fred, That's not a good law. It's another prize in the "Perks for Permits" Game show.

    I find it a little disconcerting that on a board named Opencarry.org, where the members Open Carry because they have a right to, applaud bills that give Concealed Handgun Permit holders, special privileges (Note the syntax) that have no bearing on Concealing a handgun.
    I'm scratching my head here. There is nothing in this bill about CHPs.

    Here's the full text of the bill, the amended section of code is in bold italics. Am I missing something?

    TFred

    (I'm not going to put it in a quote box because that strips all the formatting away, and I'm too lazy to add it back in myself...)

    Also... what you see below that is not bold italics is already current law.


    Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

    1. That §18.2-283.1 of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted as follows:

    § 18.2-283.1. Carrying weapon into courthouse.

    It shall be unlawful for any person to possess in or transport into any courthouse in this Commonwealth any (i) gun or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile or projectile of any kind, (ii) frame, receiver, muffler, silencer, missile, projectile or ammunition designed for use with a dangerous weapon and (iii) any other dangerous weapon, including explosives, stun weapons as defined in § 18.2-308.1, and those weapons specified in subsection A of § 18.2-308. Any such weapon shall be subject to seizure by a law-enforcement officer. A violation of this section is punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor. However, nothing in this section shall prohibit a person who may lawfully possess a handgun from possessing in or transporting into any courthouse a handgun when such courthouse is being used for purposes other than judicial proceedings or official judicial activities.

    The provisions of this section shall not apply to any police officer, sheriff, law-enforcement agent or official, conservation police officer, conservator of the peace, magistrate, court officer, or judge while in the conduct of such person's official duties.


  7. #7
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    TFred wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    TFred wrote:
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...e?101+sum+HB54

    Handguns in courthouses. Allows a person who may lawfully possess a firearm to carry a handgun into a courthouse when the courthouse is being used for non-judicial activities.

    TFred
    Fred, That's not a good law. It's another prize in the "Perks for Permits" Game show.

    I find it a little disconcerting that on a board named Opencarry.org, where the members Open Carry because they have a right to, applaud bills that give Concealed Handgun Permit holders, special privileges (Note the syntax) that have no bearing on Concealing a handgun.
    I'm scratching my head here. There is nothing in this bill about CHPs.

    Here's the full text of the bill, the amended section of code is in bold italics. Am I missing something?

    TFred

    (I'm not going to put it in a quote box because that strips all the formatting away, and I'm too lazy to add it back in myself...)

    Also... what you see below that is not bold italics is already current law.


    Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

    1. That §18.2-283.1 of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted as follows:

    § 18.2-283.1. Carrying weapon into courthouse.

    It shall be unlawful for any person to possess in or transport into any courthouse in this Commonwealth any (i) gun or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile or projectile of any kind, (ii) frame, receiver, muffler, silencer, missile, projectile or ammunition designed for use with a dangerous weapon and (iii) any other dangerous weapon, including explosives, stun weapons as defined in § 18.2-308.1, and those weapons specified in subsection A of § 18.2-308. Any such weapon shall be subject to seizure by a law-enforcement officer. A violation of this section is punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor. However, nothing in this section shall prohibit a person who may lawfully possess a handgun from possessing in or transporting into any courthouse a handgun when such courthouse is being used for purposes other than judicial proceedings or official judicial activities.

    The provisions of this section shall not apply to any police officer, sheriff, law-enforcement agent or official, conservation police officer, conservator of the peace, magistrate, court officer, or judge while in the conduct of such person's official duties.
    Sorry Fred..

    I ass umed

  8. #8
    Regular Member 45acpForMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,803

    Post imported post

    A valid reason for not allowing firearms/weapons in a court at any time is to prevent someone from planting a weapon for use while the court is in session. If this was the main intent of the law I agree with it.

    What may be a better law than allowing weapons in a courthouse is to ban all public meetings from taking place in ANY gun free zones. So the courthouse would not be used for city council meetings. If they share a building the courthouse section only would be a GFZ not the whole building.

    My 2Cents.

  9. #9
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664

    Post imported post

    Deleted. Issue already resolved by TFred and Peter Nap.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

  10. #10
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664

    Post imported post

    45acpForMe wrote:
    A valid reason for not allowing firearms/weapons in a court at any time is to prevent someone from planting a weapon for use while the court is in session. If this was the main intent of the law I agree with it.

    What may be a better law than allowing weapons in a courthouse is to ban all public meetings from taking place in ANY gun free zones. So the courthouse would not be used for city council meetings. If they share a building the courthouse section only would be a GFZ not the whole building.

    My 2Cents.
    I take issue with the assumption that I will engage in criminal activity when attending a public meeting in a courthouse. I do not support any law that assumes unlawful activity by the general public. Without reasonable suspicions against each and every person individually I think you may violate due process.

    I think your ban on public meetings in GFZ would be a good idea, except in many smaller localities the only options they may have are courthouses and school buildings. Might be a lot cheaper just to search the Courthouse after it is used for a meeting.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

  11. #11
    Activist Member Wolf_shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Accomac, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,213

    Post imported post

    I'd like to see a change in the school law. When being used for other than school activities. The county BOS holds Supervisor meetings in one of the middle schools. They claim the reason is that the BOS chamber is not big enough for the crowd.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."



  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    Wolf_shadow wrote:
    I'd like to see a change in the school law. When being used for other than school activities. The county BOS holds Supervisor meetings in one of the middle schools. They claim the reason is that the BOS chamber is not big enough for the crowd.
    I'd like that too. I really want to be able to maintain my armed status when voting, which happens to be at a k-12 school.

    QUESTION:

    does Falls Church city council meet in a courthouse? Didn't VCDL members OC at one of their meetings before? Sorry if I'm mistaken.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •