Thread: KEL TEC Sub 2000 Legal

Post imported post

Coming up to UPstate NY is a KEL-TEC SUB 2000 Legal in NY I have 10 round G17 magazines.

Post imported post

It really depends on alot. Are you legal is the first question. Then is there anything special about that gun that would make it illegal. I am not familiar with that firearm so I can't say for certain. NY is not open carry, and does not recognize other states CCW's. If your LEO then it would be legal if its legal for your dept. Check NYS Penal law section 265 regarding firearms.

Post imported post

I believe your model is legal so long as you don't have larger than 10rd magazine. Some of the folding Kel-Tec's are illegal because they could fire from the folded position classifying them as handguns. This is not the case with the 2000. As long as you don't modify it to include prohibited items like flash suppressor, collapsible stock, or bayonet lug you should be okay.

Post imported post

DT4E31 wrote:
    It really depends on alot. Are you legal is the first question. Then is there anything special about that gun that would make it illegal. I am not familiar with that firearm so I can't say for certain. NY is not open carry, and does not recognize other states CCW's. If your LEO then it would be legal if its legal for your dept. Check NYS Penal law section 265 regarding firearms.

DT4E31

Thanks for trying to help. I'm a VA resident and we do not have any form of gun registration except on fully automatic machine guns which have to be registered with the state police. Everything else, pistols, rifles, shotguns, do not have to be registered in any fashion.

The Firearm in question is a Rifle not a pistol. The gunis a bullpup design that folds up like a survival rifle. The Kel-Tecs use a variety of popular pistol magazines including Sig, Glock, Beretta, and Smith and are chambered in either 9mm or 40.

Post imported post

redlegagent wrote:
    I believe your model is legal so long as you don't have larger than 10rd magazine. Some of the folding Kel-Tec's are illegal because they could fire from the folded position classifying them as handguns. This is not the case with the 2000. As long as you don't modify it to include prohibited items like flash suppressor, collapsible stock, or bayonet lug you should be okay.
    Red,

Thanks I was concened about the folding feature of the rifle. I know in NY you can have a gun with a pistol grip that has a second features such as a flash hider, threaded barrel, collapsable stock, etc.... But I was worried if that second featured could be applied to (collapsable gun. Didn't add anything to the gun so I guess its cool.

Post imported post

rob99vmi04 wrote:
    redlegagent wrote:
    Red,

Thanks I was concened about the folding feature of the rifle. I know in NY you can have a gun with a pistol grip that has a second features such as a flash hider, threaded barrel, collapsable stock, etc.... But I was worried if that second featured could be applied to (collapsable gun. Didn't add anything to the gun so I guess its cool.
    Those are the ones with the short 14" barrels no? I think its considered a pistol if the barrel is less than 16".

Post imported post

Leverdude wrote:
    rob99vmi04 wrote:
    redlegagent wrote:
    Red,

Those are the ones with the short 14" barrels no? I think its considered a pistol if the barrel is less than 16".
    Nope these have 16in barrels and fold in half. Less than 16 inches with a stock would fall into the SBR catagroy. I don't believe those are legal in NY period.

Post imported post

If it looks like mine... I doubt it.

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    If it looks like mine... I doubt it.
    Thats the one I'm thinking of. Got to shoot one a couple weeks ago. I didn't measure it but wouldn't have thought it 16". Guess I was wrong.

Post imported post

'Folded', the barrel would measure 16"". Closed and locked in battery it'd measure 14.5" to the receiver at the end of the forearm. It think that's how it would be measured when made usable as a weapon.

Post imported post

I believe the BATF goes bt the distance from muzzle to the breech face. The barrel cant grow or shrink if the weapon is opened or closed. What I'v been told when cutting a rifle barrel was to mark a dowel 16.25" and go no shorter than that.