• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

G29

LuvmyXD9

imported post

Hopefully I'll be shopping to replace my carry piece that I had to sell for tuition if all goes well next semester, so I'm asking around for some shops to recommend. I live right next to ATF (arizona tactical firearms) but I've heard through the grapevine that they're pretty damned expensive.

Secondly, anybody have experience with a subcompact 10mm? I know the 10mm is a compact powerhouse, but I'm curious how much difference the fullsize vs compact is going to be.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

10mm's an oddball round. I'd stick with something you can' buy' most anywhere...

Michigander

imported post

10 mm may be hard to find in some places, but it is available. One way to take care of that problem is to load your own. Still a bit more expensive than 40, but given the power and range of the cartridge, I think it's easily worth it.

A friend of mine CC's a full sized and now a compact 10 also. She used to carry two full sized ones, but that became too much since she is rather small.

She loves her compact. Says it shoots nicely. She always carries it in a shoulder rig.

In the future, due to work requirements, I may end up wanting a G29 myself for a full power CC gun. Only thing is that I don't like the moronically big back strap, doesn't fit my hands. Luckily cures are available for that. http://www.robarguns.com/glock.htm

budbon

imported post

I'm new to the group but saw your questions about a 10mm. The replies suggested 10mm ammo hard to find. I don't own a 10mm but recently ordered ammo from "Double Tap" http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php. The reports on the Glock forum suggest this is a great new supplier who is known for 10mm ammo and information. Great prices also.

Hope this helps

imported post

Michigander wrote:
10 mm may be hard to find in some places, but it is available.
<snip>
Just to interject a thought.

10mm may be a fine round, and currently not too impossible to find (or to reload for), but my thought about useful calibers and whatnot has always run thus: if you're ever in a place and/or situation where access to ammunition (other than what you have on you/stored at home) becomes quite difficult, then carrying/using something that is more "mainstream" (for lack of a better term -- I have the flu, and my brain isn't working that well right now) would be a better thing. It would be much easier for me to acquire (through barter, borrowing from trustworthy friends/family, and otherwise) say, 9mm, 45 acp, 357/38 than something like a 10mm, 9mm Makarov or (place your favorite oddball cartridge here). I have predicated my firearm purchase decisions (both in terms of functionality and caliber) based upon anticipated worst-case scenarios. YMMV

Just my two-cents worth of fever-induced ramblings.

budbon

imported post

I agree with the preacher man, which is why I bought a Glock 17 back in the late 80's. Shouldn't be hard to find ammo anywhere in the world.

Michigander

imported post

If you want lots of ammo availability, 40 S and W barrels are available. If you don't reload, shooting 40 and carrying 10 might be a good idea.