• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally got my "ok to proceed"

bigdaddy1

imported post

After nearly 1 month I finally got the work that I was "ok to proceed" with my AK purchase. Of course they are unable to inform me as to the reason for the delay. Now to save up for some more ammo, then I will be looking for my shotgun.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

protias wrote:
A full auto AK or semi auto?
I think he was saying it was a semi AK , he was having issues with his background check..normally you walk in , buy a rifle & walk out...not him they made him wait a month :X

thelongone13

imported post

A MONTH??? Quick question, did you put down your social security number on the form for the background check? I have looked up my name on CCAP and found that there's a bunch of guys with my name who are felons, so I put my number down to speed up the process.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I get delayed longer than a week with every friggin purchase I make, And their isa solution for people that get delayed but are still eligible to avoid future delays.

Find the NICS section of the FBI.GOV website, and request the forms to get your "U-PIN" (Unique Personal Identifiation Number) you will need to get fingerprint cards done at your local P.D. anda fee may be involved, (so much for protect & Serve) Fill out the rest of the paperwork, and send it back to the FBI.

This allows them to do the instant-check, and keep theinformation in their system (instead of destroying it)so future checks are not started from scratch each and every time.

I have the forms packet to do it, I just have not done it yet.

bigdaddy1

imported post

Yeah, I'm not so sure I want my information open permanently. Although if they have a file on me it wouldn't make much of a difference I guess.

bigdaddy1

imported post

thelongone13 wrote:
A MONTH??? Quick question, did you put down your social security number on the form for the background check? I have looked up my name on CCAP and found that there's a bunch of guys with my name who are felons, so I put my number down to speed up the process.

Yes I did put my social # on the forn. I couldnt tell you if the clerk used it or not though. There was a large number of people that were purchasing that day. The clerk may have just been pushing things through or made an error of some sort.

My next purchase will be a shotgun. I will see how long it will take then.

smithman

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
I get delayed longer than a week with every friggin purchase I make, And their isa solution for people that get delayed but are still eligible to avoid future delays.

Find the NICS section of the FBI.GOV website, and request the forms to get your "U-PIN" (Unique Personal Identifiation Number) you will need to get fingerprint cards done at your local P.D. anda fee may be involved, (so much for protect & Serve) Fill out the rest of the paperwork, and send it back to the FBI.

This allows them to do the instant-check, and keep theinformation in their system (instead of destroying it)so future checks are not started from scratch each and every time.

I have the forms packet to do it, I just have not done it yet.
Looks like this U-PIN system is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Get fingerprinted and pay a fee and they don't destroy your information afterward? Sounds like a slippery slope here.

I have the last name Smith and I have never had a problem. And I don't even put down my social security number on the form. For me, I would have to be waiting a very very very long time to purchase to desire giving my fingerprints to the FBI.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

thelongone13 wrote:
SSN diclosure is not likley to speed up gun purchase approvals - the federal DOJ does not have access to the SSA's SSN database nor do Wisconsin police - the SSN thing can only get you delayed as if YOUR SSN was used by some criminal during booking etc., it will get you flagged for delay - do not disclose more data that you have to - the more data you disclose, the more data that can get your transaction flagged.

Also, I thought there was a time limit for delays of gun sales and they have to either approve or deny within a certain number of days - anyone know the standard for delays?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

smithman wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
Looks like this U-PIN system is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Get fingerprinted and pay a fee and they don't destroy your information afterward? Sounds like a slippery slope here.

I have the last name Smith and I have never had a problem. And I don't even put down my social security number on the form. For me, I would have to be waiting a very very very long time to purchase to desire giving my fingerprints to the FBI.

For those of us that get a delay that lasts a week or more with every purchase attempt, there are only2 things we can do, we can eitherwait and not be able to buy "Right here, Right Now" or jump we are forced to jump through the hoops that this country allowed Sarah Brady and mentally-disturbed followers to put in place.

Since you have never had a delay, I do not think you have a clue how irritating it actuallyis.
Imagine not being able to purchase at a gun show from a dealer from out of town? You find a great deal, or a rare gun you wanted, you fill out the paperwork, you get delayed, you either need to travel several hours a week or more later, or pay FFL transfer & shipping fees to get it to you, which wipes out any savings you thought you had by purchasing through that dealer.

All the U-PIN does is keeps a "He is ok to purchase" flag in their research system permanently, as opposed to them taking several weeks to find the same information out after days of waiting.

thelongone13

imported post

Mike wrote:
thelongone13 wrote:
SSN diclosure is not likley to speed up gun purchase approvals - the federal DOJ does not have access to the SSA's SSN database nor do Wisconsin police - the SSN thing can only get you delayed as if YOUR SSN was used by some criminal during booking etc., it will get you flagged for delay - do not disclose more data that you have to - the more data you disclose, the more data that can get your transaction flagged.

Also, I thought there was a time limit for delays of gun sales and they have to either approve or deny within a certain number of days - anyone know the standard for delays?
Mike: I use my SSN because there are quite a few FELONS (child molesters, rapists, thieves) with the same name. I feel this helps them weed through the ones that aren't me faster.

bigdaddy1

imported post

I used my SOC# because I have a brother who is a felon. His name is very similar to mine. Although I suspect the clerk did not use my SOC# beause I think if he had there wouldnt have been a month wait. I will go back to purchasing at gun shows when possible.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
thelongone13 wrote:

I once worked at a gun store, the delays can be an hour or a month..it's just depends on them.

bigdaddy1

imported post

The shop can still sell you the gun after 3 days legally. Its up to the store. Doesnt mean the FBI wont come storming through your door afterwards but the shop wont get in trouble. I could have told the shop they can still sell me the gun and they can elect to do so (verified by the FBI). But if you for some reason are denied they will come after you.

Flyer22

imported post

smithman wrote:

If you've ever had your fingerprints taken for any reason, the FBI already has them on file. They have mine. I think you might be surprised to learn how many non-criminals have their fingerprints on file with the FBI. Sometime in the mid-80's, the elementary school I attended at the time participated in a child fingerprinting program. See the links below for information about similar programs.

http://www.klaaskids.org/printathon.htm

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/sheriff/news/fingerprint.htm

And from this link, the FBI has 250 million sets of fingerprints on file!
http://www.fbi.gov/kids/k5th/whatwedo2.htm

thelongone13

imported post

I've been fingerprinted for security guard licensing twice. Not exactly worried if the FBI knows who I am or where I live. In fact, I don't care if they do. They have not EVER given me any issues what so ever.

M

McX

imported post

bigdaddy, your mistake was obvious, you didn't get MY ok to proceed. Simon says................give us $30 more for processing, and you'll go right through. :lol: