• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No charges against Moorhead man who shot teenaged intruder

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Vernon Allen shot and killed a man (17 y.o.) who came into his domicle without permission.

Vernon Allen, clearly, was justified in the use of lethal force against the intruderon that Junenight. And now, 6 months later, the Minnesota LE have decided to notpressany charges against Allen.

Based on thedetails shown below, this was a good decision.

December 21 2009

No charges against Moorhead man who shot teenaged intruder

Moorhead, Minn. (WDAY TV) - There is new information tonight, 6-months after a fatal shooting in Moorhead. Police say that the man who shot and killed a teenaged intruder will not face charges. Police say Vernon Allen acted out of self-defense and all the evidence was consistent.

By: Stephanie Goetz, WDAY

Moorhead, Minn. (WDAY TV) - There is new information tonight, 6-months after a fatal shooting in Moorhead. Police say that the man who shot and killed a teenaged intruder will not face charges. Police say Vernon Allen acted out of self-defense and all the evidence was consistent.

They say the shot gun shell found in his bathroom was in the same place where Allen said he was standing when he shot LaFromboise at close range. Also, toxicology reports show LaFramboise's alcohol content was 0.21, almost 3-times the legal limit for driving. There were no signs of drugs in his system.

On June 20th, police say the 17-year-old walked into Allen's apartment and tried to punch him twice. When Allen grabbed a gun from his room, the teenager grabbed the gun's barrel. Police have been criticized for taking a long time with this case. Others have accused the department of being racist. Police say they just wanted all the evidence in the case.

"This case got the same deliberate work and effort that this type of murder investigation would have gotten to determine if a crime had been committed."

Police were waiting for a key piece of evidence that came in Wednesday. It showed the gun was shot a foot and a half away of LaFromboise. The family of LaFromboise says all they wanted was justice for Joel, but today, they say they got little closure and no resolution.

It has been six months since LaFromboise was shot and killed and the family says that today's news is another loss.

"I'm just sad about it, I was hoping for a different outcome."

LaFromboise says he feels emptiness. He was hoping that something more would happen that justice would be served in the death of his teenage son.

"Arrested and charged with something, Joel was just a teenager."

But it wasn't. This man, Vernon Allen, is free of criminal charges after he shot and killed Ralph's son, Joel, this June when he walked, disoriented into Allen's home.

"Why did he have to bring a gun out?"

Ralph says the self defense law, that freed Allen, needs to be changed and that there's no justifiable reason for taking someone's life.

"I think there's different measures you can take, instead of shooting to kill somebody. You could shoot to wound them, there's other ways of going about things."

"It's really frustrating. They're still heartbroken. They've been mourning the loss of their son for a while now and they were really hoping to find peace with the justice system."

This mourning dad says he is still trying to process it all, wondering what to do next, but knowing he could never face one man.

"And that's when I pulled the trigger on the shotgun, because I'd rather have it be him than me."

"I don't think I could look the man in the face that killed my son. There's too much anger."

Ralph says it didn't make sense that Joel went into other people's apartments that night, one of which was a woman's, and they were able to make him leave without hurting him. Joel's mother and his sister are taking this news very hard. They say they still feel something needs to be done.

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/28043/

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

HankT provided a snip of the article where the father stated:
"I think there's different measures you can take, instead of shooting to kill somebody. You could shoot to wound them, there's other ways of going about things."

Yeah, right!! Shoot to just wound them? I don't think so!!
If you do, they can turn around and get some sleazebag lawyer to file a civil suit against the for damages. Theman killed the punkwhile he wasdefending his life while up against an attacker half of his age and probably in farstronger physical shape.
Don't bring a fist to a gunfight!

I have heard second-hand stories of court proceedings (from an acquaintance in LE that was involved in a trial where an attorney has turned an "I just tried to wound him instead of killing him" statement from someone into a whole new world of horse crap trying to make the justified shooter look like he wanted to make someone suffer instead of putting them out of their misery.

Moralof the story?
Don't get stumbling drunk and attack people in their homes, and you probably got a whole lot less to worry about when it comes to loaded firearms being used against you.

Hank, the TV station where you snipped this article from? Is it in WI, because I thought the call-signs for any broadcast station west of the Mississippi river always started with a "K" instead of a "W"?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The father of the deceased teen gives a typical response of those that refuse to accept any responsibilty for their own failures.

Had Ralph been a more responsible parent, maybe his son would still be alive today. Where was Ralph when his son was out drinking (at 17) and breaking into other peoples homes?

Sorry, I havelittle sympathy for this family's loss.

spelling

REX681959

imported post

Joel's mother and his sister are taking this news very hard. They say they still feel something needs to be done.

Yeah stand up & say " Our son should never have gotten drunk & assaulted this man. "

Whatever happened to personal responsibility??

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

REX681959 wrote:
Joel's mother and his sister are taking this news very hard. They say they still feel something needs to be done.

Yeah stand up & say " Our son should never have gotten drunk & assaulted this man. "

Whatever happened to personal responsibility??

They've been conditioned by the liberals to believe that such a thing is beyond their capability. Only conservative white folk are held accountable.

:banghead:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Hank, the TV station where you snipped this article from? Is it in WI, because I thought the call-signs for any broadcast station west of the Mississippi river always started with a "K" instead of a "W"?

I think it's in Minnesota. On the Minnesota/North Dakota border, far from WI.

I do believe you are right about the K/W assignments. But there are some exceptions for stations that were grandfathered when the boundary changed years ago...

RogueWarrior

imported post

On June 20th, police say the 17-year-old walked into Allen's apartment and tried to punch him twice. When Allen grabbed a gun from his room, the teenager grabbed the gun's barrel. Police have been criticized for taking a long time with this case. Others have accused the department of being racist. Police say they just wanted all the evidence in the case.

Sorry but where in the article say that either people involved was coloured ????? or am I missing something

simmonsjoe

imported post

RogueAussie wrote:

Sorry but where in the article say that either people involved was coloured ????? or am I missing something
It is obviously racist because someone didn't like the outcome. That makes it racist. Has nothing to do with actual race or actual feelings.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Shoot to wound? Different measures!

Tell that to Anne Pressly and anyone else that has been attacked... oh wait, you can't she got her face beat in... and she was raped... and she's dead. Too bad she and others didn't use "different measures" or shoot to wound (if they had a gun, Anne Pressly didn't). Or maybe they did use different measures or shoot to wound... they still ended up dying. Donna Jackson, Oklahoma, just weeks ago. She could have been killed, beaten, raped, by a man that was DRUNK. He violently fought his way into her home. He had an intent to do something. She did the right thing by sending him away.

Take the High Road. It is your only insurance policy against what a criminal mind may or may not be thinking. This isn't Vegas, you don't gamble with your life, not like that.

And thank goodness the man who defended himself is not being charged in this case.

okboomer

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
...Only conservative white folk are held accountable.
That's the way I see it, too. Except when it is the kids of influential people in a small town.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Hmmmm and if the roles were reversed? And someone was breaking into thier home and punching them? I guess they wouldn't mind.

Hard to shoot to wound with a shotgun 18" or so away.

:banghead:to the prosecutor who thought he could try to find something to charge the homeowern with.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Shot in arm, center of mass or center of forehead is all the same to this regard -

You are wounded. Perhaps more so or less, but the fact still remains.

Next question :D

Yata hey

propertymanager

imported post

I'm as outraged about this case as the LaFromBoise family except for a different reason. I'm outraged because our criminal justice system is so badly broken that a case that should have been settled in one day took six months to solve. How much time and money did the taxpayers spend to solve this murder mystery? Yep, it was a real puzzler: a drunk teenage thug walks into an apartment andattacks the occupant, followed by the occupant defending himself. Clearly a case for CSI!!!! :banghead:

These idiots from the police department should have been able to solve his in ONE DAY! Was it really necessary to put the occupant in hell for 6 months while they investigated this open and shut case? Where did common sense go?

I also think it's ridiculous that the police don't release the criminal background of the teenage thug. I'd be willing to bet that this punk had more than one contact with the police!

simmonsjoe

imported post

propertymanager wrote:
I'm as outraged about this case as the LaFromBoise family except for a different reason. I'm outraged because our criminal justice system is so badly broken that a case that should have been settled in one day took six months to solve. How much time and money did the taxpayers spend to solve this murder mystery? Yep, it was a real puzzler: a drunk teenage thug walks into an apartment andattacks the occupant, followed by the occupant defending himself. Clearly a case for CSI!!!! :banghead:

These idiots from the police department should have been able to solve his in ONE DAY! Was it really necessary to put the occupant in hell for 6 months while they investigated this open and shut case? Where did common sense go?

I also think it's ridiculous that the police don't release the criminal background of the teenage thug. I'd be willing to bet that this punk had more than one contact with the police!
Dude, do you have ANY IDEA how many donuts they can put on their expense report in 6 months?

Dreamer

imported post

An interesting bit of trivia concerning this case, is the meaning (in French) of the decedent's last name, "LaFramboise". In French, this name means "The Raspberry"...

Here is the police video of the initial interview between Morehead Police and Mr.Allen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpdAm_BegaA

It has been reported that the decedent, Joel LaFromboise was a 17 year old whose MySpace page is said to have contained gang signs and indicated that he used hallucinogenic drugs. It was determined by the Coroner that LaFranboise's BAC was more than twice the legal limit for driving under MN law.

Here is a much more detailed analysis of this case, and the situation that transpired that evening:

http://www.learnaboutguns.com/2010/01/01/the-self-defense-shooting-of-joel-lafromboise/

Yet another "little wayward angel" who made the ULTIMATE bad decision.

And again, I will reiterate, if you don't go doing stupid, illegal things and threatening and assaulting innocent people, you don't have to worry about people shooting you in self-defense.

My prayers go out to Vernon Allen. The taking of ANY human life is a traumatic experience, and I hope he can move on with his life with a clear conscience and a righteous spirit. May the rest of Mr. Allen's life is filled with peace and tranquility.

Dreamer

imported post

RogueAussie wrote:

The decedent was an "Native American"...

And according to KXMB-TV's website, Here is the decedent's "MySpace" page:

http://www.myspace.com/tha_city612

Notice the gang signs, and mutiple references to drug use...

Here is the KXMB-TV's story from their website, dated June 22, 2009:

http://www.kxnet.com/getArticle.asp?ArticleId=394717

okboomer

imported post

Yeah, and he claims he's 18 ... hmmmm, wonderful little angel someone raised ... I notice he referrs to his location as ... wait for it ... murderapolis ... could it be he was a violent thug rather than an angel? Coupled with 'liquid courage' sure turned out to be a lethal combination.

lil_freak_66

imported post

okboomer wrote:
Yeah, and he claims he's 18 ... hmmmm, wonderful little angel someone raised ... I notice he referrs to his location as ... wait for it ... murderapolis ... could it be he was a violent thug rather than an angel? Coupled with 'liquid courage' sure turned out to be a lethal combination.

myspace has you input your age,its entirely possible his birthday had passed since he was horribly murdered by a crazy home owner with a big automatic street sweeper of death.

however,i have not yet looked at the myspace page to see if it was written by him or just his birthday put into his account details.

either way, the outcome was great! just it should've been an open and shut case.

dont take a csi analyst and 6 months to determine that a shotgun shell was ejected one way out of the gun and under its own power,was sent X feet away from shotgun.

and that the fingerprints on the end of the shotgun barrel were of the deceased.

and by eyeballing it...you could get a rough estimate as to how far the shotgun was from the bg.

not that it matters exactly,the bg broke in and assaulted said homeowner and got killed because of it,open and shut.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

"The father of the deceased teen gives a typical response of those that refuse to accept any responsibilty for their own failures. Had Ralph been a more responsible parent, maybe his son would still be alive today. Where was Ralph when his son was out drinking (at 17) and breaking into other peoples homes? Sorry, I havelittle sympathy for this family's loss. " -- Task Force 16

...I completely agree.

-- John D.