• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Steven seagal

Tomahawk

imported post

Well the difference between South Park and any one of these cop shows is that the writers of South Park understand liberty, and the themes of the show often show it.

He could have stood up for his right to ask for a reason for the search but he didn't. Maybe he was intimidated by all the LEOs plus the camera crew in his face.Maybe, being a young man raised on rap music and reruns of Law & Order (I know I bash L&O a lotin these forums but damn I hate that show) he simply didn't know his rights. Whatever the reason he answered "NO" to having a gun and drugs and allowed the search.
One thing that young people, and even old people for that matter, are not taught in the United States is what their rights are when dealing with authorities. Schools teach you about the first ammendment, maybe, but not much else. And the public, including your parents, have been indoctrinated for years that the police are your friends, that you must always cooperate with them, and that the opinion of the police officer is almost law in and of itself. Add to that all the TV shows like Law and Order where the cops are always right, they make moral judgements to the people they talk to, barge into homes, search cars without consent, etc., and it's no wonder that when some kid gets pulled over he's scared out of his wits to say "no" to anything the cop tells him to do.

charlie12

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
To submit to http://www.aetv.com/global/feedback/contact.jsp?site=AETV.com&NetwCode=AEN , perhaps?

In one episode of Steven Seagal: Lawman, a 20-year-old black man with no criminal record was pulled over for not wearing his seatbelt. He had his lawfully owned gun seized by the team. There is no law in Louisiana prohibiting possession of a firearm under age 21 - the minimum age is 18. According to the show, he was neither cited nor charged with any crime. Can you please have someone from the department or your legal team defend this theft under color of law as evidenced on national television?

Here is one forum thread discussing it: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=35638&forum_id=26&jump_to=611920#p611920

Thank you.

LA RS 14:95.8

17 yrs old

[align=justify]§95.8. Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile[/align]
[align=justify]A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen years knowingly to possess any handgun on his person. Any person possessing any handgun in violation of this Section commits the offense of illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile.[/align]
[align=justify]B.(1) On a first conviction, the offender shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars and imprisoned for not less than ninety days and not more than six months.[/align]
[align=justify](2) On a second conviction, the offender shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars and imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than two years.[/align]
[align=justify](3) On a third or subsequent conviction, the offender shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars and imprisoned at hard labor for not more than five years.[/align]
[align=justify](4) A juvenile adjudicated delinquent under this Section, having been previously found guilty or adjudicated delinquent for any crime of violence as defined by R.S. 14:2(B), or attempt or conspiracy to commit any such offense, shall upon a first or subsequent conviction be fined not less than five hundred dollars and not more than one thousand dollars and shall be imprisoned with or without hard labor for not less than six months and not more than five years. At least ninety days shall be served without benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence.[/align]
[align=justify]C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to any person under the age of seventeen years who is:[/align]
[align=justify](1) Attending a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course.[/align]
[align=justify](2) Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range.[/align]
[align=justify](3) Hunting or trapping pursuant to a valid license issued to him pursuant to the laws of this state.[/align]
[align=justify](4) Traveling to or from any activity described in Paragraph (1), (2), or (3) of this Subsection while in possession of an unloaded gun.[/align]
[align=justify](5) On real property with the permission of his parent or legal guardian and with the permission of the owner or lessee of the property.[/align]
[align=justify](6) At such person's residence and who, with the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian, possesses a handgun.[/align]
[align=justify](7) Possessing a handgun with the written permission of such person's parent or legal guardian; provided that such person carries on his person a copy of such written permission.[/align]
[align=justify]D. For the purposes of this Section "handgun" means a firearm as defined in R.S. 14:37.2, provided however, that the barrel length shall not exceed twelve inches.[/align]
[align=justify]Acts 1999, No. 1218, §1.[/align]

charlie12

imported post

aadvark wrote:
I am REALLY DISAPPOINTED with that show, and I have sent a Letter to the Jefferson County Parish Sheriff's Office to complain about how unprofessionally they handle Gun calls and Gun situations.

I do not live, nor have I ever lived, in Louisiana, but I have read Louisiana Law enough to know that Open Carry is Legal and Car Carry is Legal and 17 is the Legal age, among other things.

I can not stress enough how DISSAPPOINTED I am in that show for them[The Sheriff's Office] acting like that and putting on a show for those who would not know Louisiana Law any better to point them out on it.

It seems to me they pander to anti-Gun views
Did you ever get a reply from your letter? I saw the replay of the show last night.