• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proposed Legislation - Recognition of Delaware, Pennsylvania, and Virginia Permits

virginiatuck

imported post

Well, it wouldn't be reciprocity just because Maryland says it is; recognition would be the proper name for it at this time. Still, I'm glad to see it proposed:

HB 52: Regulated Firearms - License Issued by Delaware, Pennsylvania, or Virginia - Reciprocity

See the attached PDF for the full text of the bill.

All you Maryland residents, please write/e-mail/phone your representative(s) and urge support for this bill. I'm sure a Maryland shall-issue bill will be proposed soon, too.

On the Maryland GA web site, you can view bills by subject. Click here to view all bills related to guns.

Jared

imported post

How far will it get???? How far cancongressman Langevin jump?? In other words, don't expect it to go anywhere. It's a good start but it they can't even get shall-issue or "reasonable issue" (delaware) passed.

After McDonald, perhaps Maryland will become shall issue and start recognizing OOS permits... but until then...

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

I read HB 52 and was wondering if I understood what it actually means......

A LICENSE ISSUED BY DELAWARE, PENNSYLVANIA, OR VIRGINIA TO AN INDIVIDUAL TO CARRY A REGULATED FIREARM, INCLUDING A CONCEALED REGULATED FIREARM, IS VALID IN THIS STATE.

Does this bill indicate that you can OC or CC, or am I reading too muchintoit? Also, I also took the bill to mean that the licenses would be "recognized" and not that there would be"reciprocity" between the states.

Jared, we have to be hopeful with the introduction of this Bill that it will go far. I have my doubts, but I am hopeful. It is encouraging, nonetheless. Maybe it will go like the health care bill where the lawmakers will hold out, then vote for it because they "got something" for the district that they represent (I am being cynical, of course).

This Bill is a long time coming so that people (like me) can travel through MD without fear of being arrested on a gun charge (I don't even go to MD because I can't carry there). This Bill must pass.....that is just all it is to it!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!:X

9MM Owner

imported post

I'm hoping that they look at this bill as "You have to learn to walk before you can run" with limiting it to border states (Why not have WV included is strange to me also). It will be interesting to see if it passes and how it will worded. But the main thing is that if it does pass is that MD LEOs are taught properly about it. I don't want to be in MD (w/CHP) and harrassed because I know my rights better than the LEO.

Smurfologist

imported post

One thing is for sure is that it will bring more revenue to the state (eventually). I here you, Tomahawk. I am skeptical as well. But, I'm hopeful for a change (not anObama-style change, but, real change in MD).:lol:

KBCraig

imported post

Smurfologist wrote:

A LICENSE ISSUED BY DELAWARE, PENNSYLVANIA, OR VIRGINIA TO AN INDIVIDUAL TO CARRY A REGULATED FIREARM, INCLUDING A CONCEALED REGULATED FIREARM, IS VALID IN THIS STATE.

Does this bill indicate that you can OC or CC, or am I reading too muchintoit? Also, I also took the bill to mean that the licenses would be "recognized" and not that there would be"reciprocity" between the states.
Does the rare, elusive, MD license allow OC, or just CC? Recognized licenses would be authorized to do whatever MD licensees can do, but nothing more. All MD rules would apply.

As for reciprocity, the MD legislature can't declare that, because reciprocity requires the other state to declare mutual recognition. Unilateral declarations are recognition, not reciprocity, exactly as you stated. Texas "recognizes" a NY permit, but there's darn sure no reciprocity there.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Smurfologist wrote:

Does the rare, elusive, MD license allow OC, or just CC? Recognized licenses would be authorized to do whatever MD licensees can do, but nothing more. All MD rules would apply.

As for reciprocity, the MD legislature can't declare that, because reciprocity requires the other state to declare mutual recognition. Unilateral declarations are recognition, not reciprocity, exactly as you stated. Texas "recognizes" a NY permit, but there's darn sure no reciprocity there.

There's this state senator... 'Frosh'... I think from Monkey County... must be Sarah Brady's brother... Anyway... This clown is anti-gun all the way. Dunno what input/influence he'd have on this. AZ recognizes a MD CCW.. not that it matters 'cause those are near non-existant to the commoners. This is from the Southern MD forum a couple years ago:

"Trying to get a carry concealed weapon [CCW] permit in Maryland is a farce. I am presently involved in the fiasco and would not have believed how ridiculous the process is, if I wasn't seeing/experiencing it first hand.

Fill the application out, affix a fingerprint card, a passport photo; oh, and don't forget your check for $117.

I'd been better off to just take my money and drop it on $117 worth of "scratch and lose" lottery tickets.

Completed the application then went and sat for an interview where the Trooper seemed he rather be cleaning a toilet; only to say I didn't have substantial reason.

I am a business owner here in the County and do carry deposits of other people's checks to the bank. Didn't even seem to phase MSP. Identity fraud, bank fraud, damage to my business reputation, you name it. I have an appeal hearing soon, but I doubt I'll have much luck.

The MSP don't give a crap about individuals safety or security. He!!, they already have their CCWs....

buttkick.gif
Keep it up Maryland it will just be a matter of time before you're number one in violent crime stats....
coffee.gif

Time to move to Florida, or Arizona, or Alaska, or Vermont.... Anywhere is better than this Gestapo run state!"

The MD Constitution has no provisio for self defense. That was deleted during the Constitutional Convention of 1867 in advance of the 14th Amendment and a direct result of the Dred Scott Act. No guns for Negro's in the 'Free State'.

Whoever wrote HB 52 is prob'ly a product of MD gummint schools. They obviously dunno where W.Virgina is in relation to MD... or think that's just a part of VA (still). Look... face it... Maryland is filled with myopic mouth breathers. Maryland just seems to breed xenophobic ignorance. The longer I've been gone from there, the moreI realize it. The fact thatI was even spawned there is an embarrassment.A well traveled an informed Marylander is about as rare as a MD CCW holder. OC in MD is existant... along the Appalachian Trail 'n the backwoods where no lawdog will go on foot. Legal? Never! Reasonable and Prudent? Of course... that's why it's not allowed. 'Marylandthink' is like that.

'Seems to me tho.... that in the very wording... that a person with a PA LTCh could open carry... but a Virginian could not, as there is no encompassing 'license/permit' to do so. But... open carry in MD wouldget you arrested or prob'ly shot no matter. What MD needs to do is reinstate the right to bear arms in it's Constitution. Many people don't even knowit waseliminated. 'Course, then again... most peop[le mis-educated in Maryland think the State grants you rights too.

Do I think this Bill will pass? No. Do I think it should? Yes.

press1280

imported post

I read the sponsor is from the Eastern Shore, so I guess WV is too far:uhoh:

Probably won't go anywhere. They did have a straight shall-issue bill with 40 co-sponsors last year, I wonder if that will gain momentum this year.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

'Nuther thing I thought of....

Marylanders with non-resident PA, VA and DE permits. :celebrateStick that in yer MDSP pipe 'n smoke it!

Jared

imported post

KBCraig wrote:

Open carry never required a permit in MD until 1972 due to the baltimore race riots. With a MD LTC, you can open or concealed carry. It also enables one to conceal carry any knive, including switchblades.

Open carry of any blade is already legal in MD under state law, including swithblades.

Honestly though, people are waisting their times, MD will not pass this bill.

press1280

imported post

True they may not WILLINGLY pass it. But they may be forced by the Federal Courts to do it. See McDonald v. Chicago, Palmer v. DC, Sykes v. McGuiness.

Jared

imported post

Skyes would be a 9th cir. case. Even if Skyes goes our way, it has no bearing on Maryland.

Dreamer

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Marylanders with non-resident PA, VA and DE permits. :celebrateStick that in yer MDSP pipe 'n smoke it!
You may want to review your homework. Even if this bill passes it will most likely exclude MD residents with out-of-state non-resident permits. Many states already do that...

The MD legislature is NOT known for giving it's own citizens any rights above common serfdom. Don't expect this bill to represent the ringing bells of Freedom for MD residents. I doubt it will affect ANY carry rights for MD residents at all.

There is an evil side to this bill getting passed. MD has ALWAYS blamed PA, VA and DE for their own gun violence. If this bill goes through, I can just hear them saying, in a year or two,"See what happens when we let people with CHP's to carry in our state?" The fact that the economy is tanking, the majority of the citizens of MD are unarmed sheep, and the hard-core gangs are turning MD into their East-Coast headquarters won't matter to these sociopathic anti-gunners. The rising homocide, robbery, and sexual assault rates in MD merely represent additional sacrifices on their alter of Total Control, made to their dark, avaricious gods of Greed, Power, and Control.

There's a flip side to every coin, folks, no matter how shiny the face of it may be...

Smurfologist

imported post

Hope.........Positivity.........Non-Criminal Association With CHP Holders.........Political Atmosphere Of Maryland.........2010.........Elections..........New Regime..........Rise In Crime Rate...........SCOTUS..........Maryland Residents Get Fed-up (not necessarily in this order).........

That should keep our thoughts busy until change (non-Obama change) actually happens in 2012........Just a thought!

Dreamer

imported post

Jared wrote:
Open carry never required a permit in MD until 1972 due to the baltimore race riots. With a MD LTC, you can open or concealed carry. It also enables one to conceal carry any knive, including switchblades.
Just another example of the Racist Roots of Gun Control. The same thing happened in Chicago, DC, and LA. Let a few non-white people march in the streets with guns, and all bets are off...

You'd think every "minority" would realize that Gun Control is just a 20th-century version of Jim Crow, and would be fighting it tooth and nail as the heinous racist evil that it is, instead of buying into the anti's hype...