• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why did kwikrnu paint the tip of his AK pistol orange?

Superlite27

imported post

I haven't seen an expalnation from the man himself. In another thread kwikrnu says:

Why didn't someone start a thread asking why I painted the tip? I probably would have responded.

Well......?

Ask, and ye' shall receive.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
I haven't seen an expalnation from the man himself. In another thread kwikrnu says:

Why didn't someone start a thread asking why I painted the tip? I probably would have responded.

Well......?

Ask, and ye' shall receive.
Scroll down on the first page near the bottom.

"Safety. cops don't shoot people with orange tipped handguns. When they do they think twice about it. Since most people assume it is an airsoft toy I will probably generate fewer MWAG calls."

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
I haven't seen an expalnation from the man himself.
I've read most of the posts on kwikrnu's outings and his pistol.....and I think the orange tip factor is inconsequential.

It doesn't change anything. No matter what reasons he had for doing it, it neither added liability nor risk to his performance. And it certainly isn't chargeable.

I think painting the tip orange was kind of twisted and in-your-face...but it doesn't change anything at all (in Tennessee).

I do see the possibility that any LE agency that reads the news account of kwikrnu would probably point to the specific example of "a weapon being altered to make it appear to be a toy. Be careful out there!" But generally cops don't go around discriminating threats on whether the gun-looking object has an orange tip.

I've got to think a little more about kwikrnu's performance...but right now all I can think of is that he's the new Danbus of OCDO. There are some striking parallels.

Pity.

Maybe he can get a MWAAK cap for next time...

Superlite27

imported post

"Safety. cops don't shoot people with orange tipped handguns. When they do they think twice about it. Since most people assume it is an airsoft toy I will probably generate fewer MWAG calls."

Sorry. I completely missed this.

But, I thought the entire point of kwikrnu carrying an AK pistol was to generate MWAG calls?

I'm still a little cornfused as to whether or not the MWAG calls are desired or detested. It seems as though he's carrying it to prove a point to the general public, yet gets irritated when he's required to prove his point to the general public.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

HankT wrote:
Superlite27 wrote:
I haven't seen an expalnation from the man himself.
I've read most of the posts on kwikrnu's outings and his pistol.....and I think the orange tip factor is inconsequential.

It doesn't change anything. No matter what reasons he had for doing it, it neither added liability nor risk to his performance. And it certainly isn't chargeable.

I think painting the tip orange was kind of twisted and in-your-face...but it doesn't change anything at all (in Tennessee).

I do see the possibility that any LE agency that reads the news account of kwikrnu would probably point to the specific example of "a weapon being altered to make it appear to be a toy. Be careful out there!" But generally cops don't go around discriminating threats on whether the gun-looking object has an orange tip.

I've got to think a little more about kwikrnu's performance...but right now all I can think of is that he's the new Danbus of OCDO. There are some striking parallels.

Pity.

Maybe he can get a MWAAK cap for next time...
This is pretty much confirmed over on IWannabeAnOfficer.com

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:

But, I thought the entire point of kwikrnu carrying an AK pistol was to generate MWAG calls?

I'm still a little cornfused as to whether or not the MWAG calls are desired or detested. It seems as though he's carrying it to prove a point to the general public, yet gets irritated when he's required to prove his point to the general public.

I'm leaning towards 'desired.' He would not have gone to great lengths for the expedition if it were not so. The camo garb, the carry of a AK pistol, the painted tip, the carry of the AK in the park wherea recently changed law that now allows carry, the possibility of high frequency of people entertaining the park, IMO, establishes his desirefor a LE confrontation--well he got it...

xin_42040421083945315171.jpg

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Superlite27 wrote:

This explanation does not pass the smell test. 

If the purpose is to advance the cause of OC, then you would not conceal the nature of the weapon.  If the purpose is to deceive people (and it appears from that answer that was the precise purpose) then again this does nothing to advance OC and in fact it might be illegal in and of it self depending on local laws.  In any case, it is suspicious that a person would do this at all.

In Virginia this would technically be concealed carry as it is disguising the true nature of the weapon.  The Tenn. website is not working well today so I have not been able to read the Tennessee definition of "concealed" to find out. 

In any case this incident raises a lot of questions.  Having carried weapons on slings myself, I think this is an inappropriate carry method for general defensive use outside a war zone as it requires a lot of handing of the weapon.  Does he have a right to do that?  Sure, but that dons not make it correct or safe. 

I am certain a lot of zealots will be along soon to complain about that view, but safety should come first.  Most safe handling principles do not recommend a lot of handling of loaded weapons as appropriate in uncontrolled environments.  If any of you were at an OC gathering and saw people drawing their weapons or holding on to the grips would you think this appropreate.  Yea yea, I know there are people who think this is just fine, but most people do not.

Regards

EDIT:

I am also curious as to why this individual has been looking for AP ammo to carry in this firearm. There are already serious over penetration and missed shot issues with a rifle round without adding AP ammo to the mix. If you do a little searching with Google for "kwikrnu" you may find that we do not have the entire story here. There is a rather long post on Officer.com from kwikrnu that would indicate the 2.5 hour wait may have been in part of his own making. He wanted to meet with a supervisory LEO and they told him it would take a while to do that. He chose to wait.

He has also posted at THR and was met with some concern over his search for AP ammo that would penetrate a vest. He has been banned form a number of forums. And while he came across as someone who just wanted to carry his weapon of choice, there is a lot more going on here. While I cannot speak for the rest of you, I do not think this guy is a very good ambassador for OC, and he is certainly not the fault free victim of police harassment he has portrayed himself to be. In fact it would appear he is shopping for a law suit and has an axe to grind with Law Enforcement.

Here is just a sample-

Tennessee Gun Owners
you Tube
Glock Talk
The High Road
Tennessee Firearms Association Inc.
Kel-tec Owners Group

simmonsjoe

imported post

I don't know about where he is, but in VA that orange tip is concealed carry and requires a CHP. He isn't even OC'ing as far as VA is concerned.
I see Hawkflyer already addressed this.
He also pointed to the unsafe nature of sling carry. I would add to this having the trigger uncovered is also bad practice. Legally protected behavior isn't always smart behavior. Use a holster.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

REX681959 wrote:
If it's not illegal to have an orange tip on a REAL gun then it soon will be.

Another (better) solution would be to make an AK pistol legally the same as an AK rifle.

That would make a lot of sense. Same with the AR pistols...

Dreamer

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
In Virginia this would technically be concealed carry as it is disguising the true nature of the weapon. The Tenn. website is not working well today so I have not been able to read the Tennessee definition of "concealed" to find out.

In NC, this is the case as well. If a firearm is "diguised" so that it's true nature as a REAL firearm is not redily discernable (like a derringer belt buckle), it is considered "concealed" even if it's displayed in plain sight, under the interpretations of the NC AG:

L. IS A FULLY FUNCTIONAL SMALL PISTOL OR KNIFE WHICH IS DESIGNED TO FIT INTO A BELT BUCKLE CONSIDERED CONCEALED IN NORTH CAROLINA?
ANSWER: Yes. Gun and knife belt buckles described above falsely
give an impression of being ornamental in nature. As
their nature and purpose is concealed and misleading,
coupled with the weapons’ immediate and ready
accessibility to the wearer of such a belt buckle, they
would be considered concealed.
The OP is obviously courting an encounter with LEO's by 1) carrying a firearm that is only classified as a "handgun" because of the quirks of the BATFE's bizarre and convoluted statutes, 2) taking advantage of a VERY recently-changed law, and 3) painting the tip of his REAL firearm orange, to disguise it as a toy, which is blatantly misleading, and under NC and Federal firearms laws argueably illegal.

He will eventually be arrested, and he deserves it. He is carrying concealed without a permit, he is abusing the hard work of the SERIOUS people in the OC movement, and he is obviously a First Class A$$hat.

Hopefully he will be arrested and not shot by some twitchy LEO someday...

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dreamer,

I just made the same argument you did regarding North Carolina in another part of the forum on this same subject (this case is all over the place!).

Yes, an orange tip painted on a gun can get you charged with concealed carry of a firearm. For a pistol of anytype, if you don't have a conceal carry permit, you are in violation. For a rifle, you are in complete violation since we can not legally conceal ANY weapon except a pistol. Even if it were a pistol with an orange tip and you did have a concealed carry permit, you can probably be charged with going armed to the terror of the public. In North Carolina, you have to provide evidence to the defense of the conceal carry charge. As for going armed to the terror, I am not sure where the burden of proof falls since that is common-law in NC and is based on case-law. With that said, since the OP admitted to painting the orange tip for the purpose of throwing off police (regardless of how anyone words it), here in NC, that can be construed as "going armed to the terror of the public."

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

There is no federal law prohibiting the painting of any firearm any color.

There is no Tennessee State law prohibiting the painting of any firearm any color.

Toy gun owners regularly remove the orange tips or paint over them making their toy guns look realistic. It is not prohibited by federal law.

I have a handgun carry permit and may carry open or concealed in Tennessee.

I don't think there is anyone reason I painted the handgun.

1.I planned on getting aflash hider.

2. Because it is not illegal.

3. To piss off internet cops.

4. Regardless of what anyone thinks a bright muzzle tip will have the effect of slowing a reaction by a cop. It may give them pause before they shoot an innocent handgun carrier.

5. Maybe a protest of sorts because of what happened to a young man in Arizona this summer. He was wearing camo, carrying an unmarked airsoft rifle, where it was legal to carry, yet he was arrested and later charges dropped.

6. I didn't have the time to wait or money to spend and get my AK gold plated.

7. If perceive a firearm as not a threat they shouldn't call it in to cops, right?

For thesome of the samereasons I asked about body armor, nfa items, and armor piercing bullets. For some reason it is in bad form to ask questions about these items. They are not illegal items in Tennessee. I think it is just the thought police regulating what "responsible" gun owners can say. I really am interested in getting some old AP ammo. It is illegal for individuals to import or make and for dealers to sell, so it will only rise in value.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
I'm leaning towards 'desired.' He would not have gone to great lengths for the expedition if it were not so. The camo garb, the carry of a AK pistol, the painted tip, the carry of the AK in the park wherea recently changed law that now allows carry, the possibility of high frequency of people entertaining the park, IMO, establishes his desirefor a LE confrontation--well he got it...
Should I email you before I open carry next time? That way you can make sure no one calls the cops on me. Radnor Lake is the closest State Park to my house. In fact it is the closest park I can gowhere I may legally carry a handgun. Everytime I have carried at Radnor lake I have stopped by the west parking lot ranger station. I've been asked for the permit once at that ranger station. I went to the ranger station on Sunday, the doors were open for the bathroom access, but no one was there.

REX681959

imported post

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1101173

The problem I have with this is the boy was charged with disorderly conduct.

Why in the H@)( didn't the women who called in a bogus 911 call get charged with anything. I'll tell you why because they get so many stupid calls. Ask a few questions for gods sake. Oh there is a man with a gun walking around. Well is it in a holster? Is he threatening anyone?You know I'm not suggesting it be done, but it would serve some of these communities right if people flooded the 911 system with stupid calls.

What kind of world do we live in where you call call the cops & tell them someone is breaking into my shed outside & they MIGHT send someone in an hour or two. But let one idiot panic about someone with a gun & they send swat after the poor guy.