Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Carrying at Lowes.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Valdosta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    347

    Post imported post

    I carry openly everywhere it is legal to do so. I should qualify that by saying I carry openly when the weather is such that wearing a jacket isn't called for, which is the greater part of the year where I live.

    I used to have problems when I first open carried. Then I switched to black guns and a black belt. The difference was amazing. Either people didn't even notice my carrying or they just assumed I'm law enforcement.

    But, every single time that I've gone into our Lowes store, I've been approached by very nervous employees; Sometimes three at a time. I had a cart with items in it, I picked an item off a shelf to look at it, then I felt that feeling of being looked at. I turned around and there were three employees nervously looking at me from a doorway to an employee's room.

    They acted like I was going to shoot them even though I had both hands holding an item and my back was to them! They asked me if I was law enforcement. I said no, and before I could explain, they took several steps back into the room! Now I was wearing jeans and a dress shirt, so there wasn't anything meanacing about the way that I looked.

    Apparently, the management at our Lowes store doesn't know that people other than L.E. can carry openly. I've tried to educate them and show them my firearms permit, but it continued. So, I knew where I wasn't welcome -I don't shop Lowes anymore. I shop at Home Depot instead and I hadhad zero problems there. The same at Walmart and all the other stores I frequent.

    Have any of you had problems whle open carrying at a Lowes?

    Alan



  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Near The Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    454

    Post imported post

    open4years wrote:
    I carry openly everywhere it is legal to do so. I should qualify that by saying I carry openly when the weather is such that wearing a jacket isn't called for, which is the greater part of the year where I live.

    I used to have problems when I first open carried. Then I switched to black guns and a black belt. The difference was amazing. Either people didn't even notice my carrying or they just assumed I'm law enforcement.

    But, every single time that I've gone into our Lowes store, I've been approached by very nervous employees; Sometimes three at a time. I had a cart with items in it, I picked an item off a shelf to look at it, then I felt that feeling of being looked at. I turned around and there were three employees nervously looking at me from a doorway to an employee's room.

    They acted like I was going to shoot them even though I had both hands holding an item and my back was to them! They asked me if I was law enforcement. I said no, and before I could explain, they took several steps back into the room! Now I was wearing jeans and a dress shirt, so there wasn't anything meanacing about the way that I looked.

    Apparently, the management at our Lowes store doesn't know that people other than L.E. can carry openly. I've tried to educate them and show them my firearms permit, but it continued. So, I knew where I wasn't welcome -I don't shop Lowes anymore. I shop at Home Depot instead and I hadhad zero problems there. The same at Walmart and all the other stores I frequent.

    Have any of you had problems whle open carrying at a Lowes?

    Alan

    Weird, must be a local issue. Lowes follows state law and is more than friendly in this area to opencarry! Three employees from the lowes I work at go to opencary dinners(one being me!). Sorry your local lowes seams to be atypical.





  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,558

    Post imported post

    I have been asked to leave from several lowes stores in Ohio. Had almost zero issues at home depot. I had a manager correct a store employee who tried to kick me out of the store, she seemed to not like what he told her. He apologized and said like other big named stores they have employees who try to enforce their rules and not that of corporate. He said she will be re-trained and written up. I called the corporate and told them because of their managers being well informed on my rights I will continue to shop there.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

  4. #4
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    Nope, never had any sort of problem in either Lowe's or Home Depot. Not one.

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    zack991 wrote:
    I have been asked to leave from several lowes stores in Ohio. Had almost zero issues at home depot. I had a manager correct a store employee who tried to kick me out of the store, she seemed to not like what he told her. He apologized and said like other big named stores they have employees who try to enforce their rules and not that of corporate. He said she will be re-trained and written up. I called the corporate and told them because of their managers being well informed on my rights I will continue to shop there.
    EXCELLENT!! Very good work.

    It is very important that we let store know when we have positive experiences. We are all quick to tell them the bad news, but positive reinforcement goes a lot farther.

    Merry Christmas
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  6. #6
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    I never had any problems either. And I live in a hippy town.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wentworth, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    142

    Post imported post

    Yeah I have been in my Lowes plenty of times no problem but once when I went there I was with my wife & she had our small dog on a leash with us. Like you said I just got this "Feeling" & when I looked around therewere 4 Lowes employees at the service desk in a huddle. Funny thing is there where 3 guys & one Young girl. guess which one approached me? That's right the Young girl. She was very nice & asked me if I would please cover up my gun. LMAO I mean they didn't care if I had it they just didn't want to see it. That is so stupid!!! But I spoke with her about 5 minutes about OC & CC & you could tell she had been coached on what to say. I told her that I had been in that store OC many times without a problem. But to make a long story short I finally just covered it up & said I would speak to the manager when he was there.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    166

    Post imported post

    Been open carrying for almost a year now, no problems at all wherever i go.

  9. #9
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    marine77 wrote:
    Been open carrying for almost a year now, no problems at all wherever i go.
    Thats good to hear!!!! Where you located?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  10. #10
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358

    Post imported post

    I frequently OC at my local Lowes and have never had a single issue.

    It's located in north-eastern North Carolina...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    156

    Post imported post

    lowes in Muskegon MI and Grand Rapids MI, no problems at all.
    Menards and Home depot in Grand Rapids, no problems at all.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    166

    Post imported post

    sudden valley gunner wrote:
    marine77 wrote:
    Been open carrying for almost a year now, no problems at all wherever i go.
    Thats good to hear!!!! Where you located?
    East Tennessee

  13. #13
    Regular Member Scooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dundee, Michigan
    Posts
    283

    Post imported post

    Home Depot and Lowes no problems here! :celebrate

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sedro, Washington, USA
    Posts
    533

    Post imported post

    I prefer Home Depot but Lowe's is closer so I often shop there. I have not had a problem at either store and my pistol has been noticed.

  15. #15
    Regular Member MatieA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Egbert, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    403

    Post imported post

    No problems at the Lowes in Cheyenne, I did get asked if I could teach a clerk's daughter how to shoot. I gave him a card for a certified instructor.
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gallia county, OH, ,
    Posts
    39

    Post imported post

    Only interaction (about being armed) I have had with a Lowes employee while I was open carrying, was, he just wanted to know if it was a "45" or not That was at Southpoint, OH

  17. #17
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958

    Post imported post

    Never here... closest Lowes is in Marana. No prob's at Home Depot or most anywhere 'cept Costco. (Only went there once.) 'Course... this 'is' Arizona.

  18. #18
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,446

    Post imported post

    LOWES sent this out sometime ago, seems they allow all carry.

    LOWE'S
    Dear XXXX XXXX:

    Thank you for giving Lowe's the opportunity to respond to your concerns regarding our policy on firearms in our stores.

    Lowe's currently does, and will continue to abide by federal, state and local laws regarding firearms, and we do not prohibit customers from carrying firearms into our stores.

    Our first and foremost concern is for the safety of our customers, however; we take all comments and concerns from our customers seriously. We are considerate of all customers, and will remain neutral regarding the right to carry firearms. We will respect federal, state and local laws regarding this.

    If Lowe's can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to call 1-866-284-8989 or email
    execustservice@lowes.com. You may also contact us by mailing your correspondence to P.O. Box 1111, Mail Code CON8, North Wilkesboro, North Carolina 28659.

    Thank you,
    Julie Holloway
    Lowe's Executive Customer Service



    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  19. #19
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664

    Post imported post

    I believe a
    BOOYAH
    is in order.

    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

  20. #20
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    405

    Post imported post

    Here in San Diego I've carried in Lowes many times without a raised eyebrow. The only place I've been asked to leave is a Food-4-Less grocery (Kroeger).

  21. #21
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    Is kroeger Fred Meyer's also. I think there is a pdf file here somewhere were they abide by state law.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  22. #22
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    405

    Post imported post

    Yeah, it looks like Food-4-Less and Fred Meyer's are both Kroeger stores. That's interesting, I would really be interested in seeing something in writing.

  23. #23
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    flintlock tom wrote:
    Yeah, it looks like Food-4-Less and Fred Meyer's are both Kroeger stores. That's interesting, I would really be interested in seeing something in writing.
    Let me look if I can't find it I know M1gunr was working on it. Let me check.

    Checked couldn't find anything, usually stores with no policy follow state law. I will ask M1gunr if he has heard anything.

    I only had one problem at Freddy's store tried to bluff me, with scaring the customers I called them on it because the only person who didn't like it was the security guy and girl. I then told them I was under impression it was corporate policy to follow state law.

    We had discussion about if I needed a permit, I informed them of the law. And have not been bothered since.

    Here is the thread..

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...ght=fredmeyers

    Notice Vandal said it is corporate policy to follow state law so that might be what I was thinking of. Maybe PM him to find out if he has something definitive.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  24. #24
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    405

    Post imported post

    Thanks for looking, I couldn't find anything on Kroeger but I did find this thread with some corporate response from Fred Meyer's:

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...fred+meyer%27s

  25. #25
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    Your search foo was better than mine.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •