• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying at Lowes.

open4years

imported post

I carry openly everywhere it is legal to do so. I should qualify that by saying I carry openly when the weather is such that wearing a jacket isn't called for, which is the greater part of the year where I live.

I used to have problems when I first open carried. Then I switched to black guns and a black belt. The difference was amazing. Either people didn't even notice my carrying or they just assumed I'm law enforcement.

But, every single time that I've gone into our Lowes store, I've been approached by very nervous employees; Sometimes three at a time. I had a cart with items in it, I picked an item off a shelf to look at it, then I felt that feeling of being looked at. I turned around and there were three employees nervously looking at me from a doorway to an employee's room.

They acted like I was going to shoot them even though I had both hands holding an item and my back was to them! They asked me if I was law enforcement. I said no, and before I could explain, they took several steps back into the room! Now I was wearing jeans and a dress shirt, so there wasn't anything meanacing about the way that I looked.

Apparently, the management at our Lowes store doesn't know that people other than L.E. can carry openly. I've tried to educate them and show them my firearms permit, but it continued. So, I knew where I wasn't welcome -I don't shop Lowes anymore. I shop at Home Depot instead and I hadhad zero problems there. The same at Walmart and all the other stores I frequent.

Have any of you had problems whle open carrying at a Lowes?

Alan

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

open4years wrote:
I carry openly everywhere it is legal to do so. I should qualify that by saying I carry openly when the weather is such that wearing a jacket isn't called for, which is the greater part of the year where I live.

I used to have problems when I first open carried. Then I switched to black guns and a black belt. The difference was amazing. Either people didn't even notice my carrying or they just assumed I'm law enforcement.

But, every single time that I've gone into our Lowes store, I've been approached by very nervous employees; Sometimes three at a time. I had a cart with items in it, I picked an item off a shelf to look at it, then I felt that feeling of being looked at. I turned around and there were three employees nervously looking at me from a doorway to an employee's room.

They acted like I was going to shoot them even though I had both hands holding an item and my back was to them! They asked me if I was law enforcement. I said no, and before I could explain, they took several steps back into the room! Now I was wearing jeans and a dress shirt, so there wasn't anything meanacing about the way that I looked.

Apparently, the management at our Lowes store doesn't know that people other than L.E. can carry openly. I've tried to educate them and show them my firearms permit, but it continued. So, I knew where I wasn't welcome -I don't shop Lowes anymore. I shop at Home Depot instead and I hadhad zero problems there. The same at Walmart and all the other stores I frequent.

Have any of you had problems whle open carrying at a Lowes?

Alan

Weird, must be a local issue. Lowes follows state law and is more than friendly in this area to opencarry! Three employees from the lowes I work at go to opencary dinners(one being me!). Sorry your local lowes seams to be atypical.

zack991

imported post

I have been asked to leave from several lowes stores in Ohio. Had almost zero issues at home depot. I had a manager correct a store employee who tried to kick me out of the store, she seemed to not like what he told her. He apologized and said like other big named stores they have employees who try to enforce their rules and not that of corporate. He said she will be re-trained and written up. I called the corporate and told them because of their managers being well informed on my rights I will continue to shop there.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

zack991 wrote:
I have been asked to leave from several lowes stores in Ohio. Had almost zero issues at home depot. I had a manager correct a store employee who tried to kick me out of the store, she seemed to not like what he told her. He apologized and said like other big named stores they have employees who try to enforce their rules and not that of corporate. He said she will be re-trained and written up. I called the corporate and told them because of their managers being well informed on my rights I will continue to shop there.

EXCELLENT!! Very good work.

It is very important that we let store know when we have positive experiences. We are all quick to tell them the bad news, but positive reinforcement goes a lot farther.

Merry Christmas

REX681959

imported post

Yeah I have been in my Lowes plenty of times no problem but once when I went there I was with my wife & she had our small dog on a leash with us. Like you said I just got this "Feeling" & when I looked around therewere 4 Lowes employees at the service desk in a huddle. Funny thing is there where 3 guys & one Young girl. guess which one approached me? That's right the Young girl. She was very nice & asked me if I would please cover up my gun. LMAO I mean they didn't care if I had it they just didn't want to see it. That is so stupid!!! But I spoke with her about 5 minutes about OC & CC & you could tell she had been coached on what to say. I told her that I had been in that store OC many times without a problem. But to make a long story short I finally just covered it up & said I would speak to the manager when he was there.

marine77

imported post

Been open carrying for almost a year now, no problems at all wherever i go.

Dreamer

imported post

I frequently OC at my local Lowes and have never had a single issue.

It's located in north-eastern North Carolina...

MatieA

imported post

No problems at the Lowes in Cheyenne, I did get asked if I could teach a clerk's daughter how to shoot. I gave him a card for a certified instructor.

aluminum3

imported post

Only interaction (about being armed) I have had with a Lowes employee while I was open carrying, was, he just wanted to know if it was a "45" or not :) That was at Southpoint, OH

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Never here... closest Lowes is in Marana. No prob's at Home Depot or most anywhere 'cept Costco. (Only went there once.) 'Course... this 'is' Arizona.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

LOWES sent this out sometime ago, seems they allow all carry.

LOWE'S
Dear XXXX XXXX:

Thank you for giving Lowe's the opportunity to respond to your concerns regarding our policy on firearms in our stores.

Lowe's currently does, and will continue to abide by federal, state and local laws regarding firearms, and we do not prohibit customers from carrying firearms into our stores.

Our first and foremost concern is for the safety of our customers, however; we take all comments and concerns from our customers seriously. We are considerate of all customers, and will remain neutral regarding the right to carry firearms. We will respect federal, state and local laws regarding this.

If Lowe's can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to call 1-866-284-8989 or email
execustservice@lowes.com. You may also contact us by mailing your correspondence to P.O. Box 1111, Mail Code CON8, North Wilkesboro, North Carolina 28659.

Thank you,
Julie Holloway
Lowe's Executive Customer Service