• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying at Lowes.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
Yeah, it looks like Food-4-Less and Fred Meyer's are both Kroeger stores. That's interesting, I would really be interested in seeing something in writing.

Let me look if I can't find it I know M1gunr was working on it. Let me check.

Checked couldn't find anything, usually stores with no policy follow state law. I will ask M1gunr if he has heard anything.

I only had one problem at Freddy's store tried to bluff me, with scaring the customers I called them on it because the only person who didn't like it was the security guy and girl. I then told them I was under impression it was corporate policy to follow state law.

We had discussion about if I needed a permit, I informed them of the law. And have not been bothered since.

Here is the thread..

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=26882&forum_id=55&highlight=fredmeyers

Notice Vandal said it is corporate policy to follow state law so that might be what I was thinking of. Maybe PM him to find out if he has something definitive.

Statesman

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Is kroeger Fred Meyer's also. I think there is a pdf file here somewhere were they abide by state law.
The Kentucky forum has a post with several corporate firearm polices, including Fred Meyer's / Krogers.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum25/34707.html

Note the case ref# in case they want to look it up in the store.

Kroger/Fred Meyer

Thank you for your email.
Our policy on guns in our stores is simply to comply with the law. We recognize and respect the right to carry a weapon and we are aware that not everyone who has a weapon has a concealed weapon permit. However, we serve all varieties of Customers in our stores – we do not discriminate based on anything – not gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or opinion. So, as I’m sure you are aware, there may be times when an unconcealed weapon is upsetting, particularly to some mothers who are shopping with their children. If you have a concealed weapon permit, we would appreciate it if you would conceal your weapon, but we recognize that you do not have to by law.

Best regards,

Melinda Merrill
Director, Public Affairs
503.797.3830 p
503.797.5609 f

melinda.merrill@fredmeyer.com
http://www.fredmeyer.com

CASE SUMMARY
REF# 7162545
Notification Type: Unresolved To Division
Contact Method: Email Contact
Date Received: 9/8/2009 12:49:00 AM
Received By: FM Unresolved Notification
Additional Case Detail:
Initial Rep: ch58449

[align=center] [/align] ISSUE DETAILS
Issue #1 Division Policy Inquiry
Driver:
Issue Status: O
Store: NO STORE
Incident Date & Time: 09/07/2009 00:00:00
Employee Name:
UPC: Not Provided, UPC Description:
Brand Name:
Additional Product Information:

[align=center] [/align] CUSTOMER COMMENTS:
Text # 1 - Customer Verbatim - 9/16/2009 3:15:11 PM
In the state of Washington we have the right to keep and bear arms in self defense and the defense of others. Those who can lawfully own a firearm can lawfully openly carry a firearm without permit, or conceal carry a firearm with a Conceal Pistol License. Private property owners can make rules for visitors concerning the carry of firearms. Can you please send me a copy of Kroger/Fred Meyer corporate policy on the carrying of firearms by customers?Thank you,M***** R*******.

Text # 2 - Email Rep Reply to Customer - 9/16/2009 3:16:33 PM
Thank you for contacting Fred Meyer regarding your policy inquiry. Your comment has been forwarded to the Main Office for follow up.

Again, thank you for writing.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

open4years wrote:
I used to have problems when I first open carried.  Then I switched to black guns and a black belt.  The difference was amazing.  Either people didn't even notice my  carrying or they just assumed I'm law enforcement.
Hmm, I usually wear my RIA Tactical in a Level II Serpa on a cordovan leather belt. The gun is customized with stainless steel parts (hammer, thumb safety, barrel & bushing & spring plug, extractor, slide lock, as well as all the pins), so it definitely doesn't look police-y. I rarely get much attention, and when I do it's positive remarks from people who are interested in (or already know about) OC.

The other day, I OCed my new XD-40 in a Level IV Safariland duty holster, and all I got were questions along the lines of "Are you in law enforcement?"

And I have a ponytail, to boot. Then again, maybe that explains the questions. With my 1911, perhaps people realize I couldn't possibly be a cop, even a narco. :lol:

clutchcargo

imported post

I have never had a problem with lowes

however with the memo you have posted, i have made note of it as referance, should i be questioned on it while i am at lowes

have not had a problem at walmart except for the one in merced ca, where an employee said i had to leave, i asked her for her name , he stated that she could give her name,( even though she had a name tag, ) I said to her , if you feel that you are not doing anything illegal, then you would not have a probem with identyfing yourself, i asked her to call for manager, two managers came out, i asked them if they knew the gun laws, they responded that they did not know, i then asked if they wanted to call the police, they said why? I just advised them that walmart has honor state law policy, and gave them the name of sheriff Mark Pazin if they had any question about my gun, they did not know who Mark Pazin was, other than that no problem

clutch

I always carry

imported post

My only question or thought about the Lowe's issue would be how your appearance, other than attire, i.e., grooming (hair, clean shaven) may have affected their response? I have shopped my local Lowe's while oc'ing and not been looked at twice? However, if that happened more than once-I would simply not shop there any more. I have usually found Home Depot to be less expensive anyway. I know some folks don't like HD due to other personal reasons though.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

"If you have a concealed weapon permit, we would appreciate it if you would conceal your weapon, but we recognize that you do not have to by law." -- Melinda Merrill, Director, Public Affairs, Kroger/Fred Meyer

That's a fair statement, especially coming from a possibly (personal beliefs wise) not-a-fan-of-guns corporate person. Problem is though, carrying CONCEALED doesn't helpaccomplishing2of the main goals of OCing: (1) Educating the public (and local cops) about the right to carry openly and (2) desensitising the public (and cops) to seeing decent citizens carrying guns in public...instead of people panicing and making hysterical"MWAG" calls.

Of course, here in the Great State of Texas (?) -- while we have Lowes and Kroger -- we don't have OC. But when we DO get it...

-- John D.

Dreamer

imported post

Cloudcroft,

Although the 2 "reasons for OC" that you wrote about are good reasons indeed, I don't think they are the primary reasons to carry open.

We carry 1) for self defense. We OPEN carry 2) because it is a proven deterrent--bad guys are lazy and cowardly and won't attack people with guns.

Those other reasons you give are just "icing on the cake"...

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dreamer,

I didn't say the PRIMARY reason, I said two of the MAIN goals (reasons) for OCing. It goes without saying the TOP reason we carry is self-defense, but that's true about concealed carry, too (which also has more than one reason for carrying that way). I think all the reasons should be recalled just so we're all on the same page about WHY we do this.

So, I posted the above as a REMINDER for people since lots of CC people don't get OC at all, some are even against it, and too many people in general (visitors/lurkers here of unknown views& opinions) reading THIS forum are afraid of OCing (for whatever reasons) evenif they can do so legally in their respective states.

I'm not sure about the "deterrent" thing, however, and personally I suredo NOTcount on THAT happening (and I don't think it's been "proven" whatsoever). In fact, I have no expectation whatsoever of how a criminal may or may not react (it's kind of a "Zen" mindset/martial-art thing if you will, keepng your mind clear and not expecting a specific response, as I believe that is not a prudent thing to do).

Whatever, I agree with you thatthe TOP reason we OC (or CC) is self-defense. :)

-- John D.

P.S. I think it's more than just "icing on the cake" in that peoplemaking MWAG calls on you aren't fun, cops harrassing you/the DA charging youisn't, either.And, if more people (sheeple) become USED to seeing citizens carrying, it might be able to pass pro-gun legislation -- and corrections to current too-restrictive laws (or get them repealed) -- LOTS more easily.Those sould be very substantial results which suggests more import than just "icing."

MatieA

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Dreamer,

>>snip I'm not sure about the "deterrent" thing, however, and personally I suredo NOTcount on THAT happening (and I don't think it's been "proven" whatsoever). In fact, I have no expectation whatsoever of how a criminal may or may not react (it's kind of a "Zen" mindset/martial-art thing if you will, keepng your mind clear and not expecting a specific response, as I believe that is not a prudent thing to do).

Whatever, I agree with you thatthe TOP reason we OC (or CC) is self-defense. :)

-- John D.

P.S. I think it's more than just "icing on the cake" in that peoplemaking MWAG calls on you aren't fun, cops harrassing you/the DA charging youisn't, either.And, if more people (sheeple) become USED to seeing citizens carrying, it might be able to pass pro-gun legislation -- and corrections to current too-restrictive laws (or get them repealed) -- LOTS more easily.Those sould be very substantial results which suggests more import than just "icing."

http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atlanta-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m2d18-Open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-in-Kennesaw

Twocustomers displaying holstered pistols deterredan armed robbery in a Kennesaw Wafflehouserecently.

There is some debate raging in Georgia about whether people should conceal their holstered handguns while in public. Some believe that wearing handguns openly will result in a loss of the element of surprise during a criminal attack, such as an armed robbery, while others believe that wearinghandguns openly deters criminal attack. For Matt Brannan and J.P. Mitchell, who carry openly as a routine, the issue is no longer academic.

Matt Brannan and J.P. Mitchell were dining in the Wafflehouse on Barrett Parkwayat I-575 in Kennesaw at 4:45 in the morning recently when a scoutfor an armed robbery crew entered the restaurant to case it. At the time, Matt and J.P. thought he looked a little suspicious, as he was wandering around the small restaurant like he was looking for someone. Unknown to Matt and J.P., two cars full of armed robbers were parked behind the restaurant waiting for the scout's report.

The scoutsaw that two of the customers were wearing holstered 1911 Springfield Mil-Spec .45 pistols, and he immediately turned and left the store.

Meanwhile,conscientious Cobb County Police Officer D. Lowe had noticedsuspicious cars sitting behind the restaurant in the dark and decided to investigate. He caught men with masks and rifles who had been preparing to rob the Wafflehouse. The criminalsinformed the police that they had changed their mind upon discovering armed customers and were waiting for Matt and J.P. to leave. Ironically, the police car was pulling in to the parking lotjust as Matt and J.P. weredriving away. In other words, had Matt and J.P. not been armed, the robbery probably would haveoccurred before thepoliceintervened.

Captain Jerry Quan, the Commander for Precinct One, where the Wafflehouse is located,confirmed Matt Brannan's story asone in which the open display of a pistol deterred a well armedrobbery crew.

Matt Brannanis making an Open RecordsAct request, and there will be an update to this story when more information is available. The case number is09-133500. There will be updates and follow up articles as more information becomes available.

If you do not want to miss any follow up articles, please click on the Subsribe button under the headline, above.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yes, I knew about that (one) incident, but I still am not one to EXPECT anything re: how criminals may or may not react...except maybe expecting the unexpected.

Again (and as always is my "disclaimer") I'm a "fringe" element here and so that's probably just how *I* see things...

-- John D.

Thoreau

imported post

My last visit to Lowes would be a complete 180 from the OPs experience.

I'm in the hardware aisle looking for those little pin-things that hold adjustable shelves up. Anyway, while I'm trying to determine which ones will work for my cabinets, an older guy walks up to me (perhaps mid to late 50's) and asks me what department I'm with. I look over and see him in full Lowes garb, but holding his Lowes vest in hand as he had just clocked out. I let him know that I'm not a cop, etc. and the conversation then turns to how Lowes prohibits him frmo carrying while being an employee there, yet customers are allowed to carry, how we both believe that to be rather retarded, his shooting history (from that conversation, I gather that he could show me my ass in any shooting competition, hehe) gun rights, and so on.

We must've chatted for a good 20 minutes before he had to get going to get home. Great encounter, and definitely the most positive one I've had to date. (Not that I've really had any negative encounters. As Sonora Rebel mentioned, this IS Arizona, hehe.)

I will say that gun/rig color seems to have an effect though. I used to OC my XDm 40 (stainless slide, black frame) and would definitely be noticed when out and about (Walmart, hikes, etc.) Nowadays I've been carrying my USP (all black) and either people don't even notice it, or like some others have suggested (and as my above encounter might suggest) they just think I'm LE. I DO wear 5.11 taclite pro pants almost al the time, even at work, and a polo shirt tucked in. Oh well, let people think what they want so long as they don't freak out or bug me =)

EdwardNorton

imported post

open4years wrote:
I carry openly everywhere it is legal to do so. I should qualify that by saying I carry openly when the weather is such that wearing a jacket isn't called for, which is the greater part of the year where I live.

I used to have problems when I first open carried. Then I switched to black guns and a black belt. The difference was amazing. Either people didn't even notice my carrying or they just assumed I'm law enforcement.

But, every single time that I've gone into our Lowes store, I've been approached by very nervous employees; Sometimes three at a time. I had a cart with items in it, I picked an item off a shelf to look at it, then I felt that feeling of being looked at. I turned around and there were three employees nervously looking at me from a doorway to an employee's room.

They acted like I was going to shoot them even though I had both hands holding an item and my back was to them! They asked me if I was law enforcement. I said no, and before I could explain, they took several steps back into the room! Now I was wearing jeans and a dress shirt, so there wasn't anything meanacing about the way that I looked.

Apparently, the management at our Lowes store doesn't know that people other than L.E. can carry openly. I've tried to educate them and show them my firearms permit, but it continued. So, I knew where I wasn't welcome -I don't shop Lowes anymore. I shop at Home Depot instead and I hadhad zero problems there. The same at Walmart and all the other stores I frequent.

Have any of you had problems whle open carrying at a Lowes?

Alan

There are several business's in my city that have large stickers on the entrance doors prohibiting guns (Lowes included). It has been challenged and upheld as there are more than one of each of these business's in which to shop. Thus the motto "if you don't like our rules then shop else where".

The really odd thing I find in this is that you cannot openly carry in Indiana so these business's have no idea who is packing and who isn't. Perhaps it's an insurance liability issue, who knows.

MKEgal

imported post

EdwardNorton wrote:
There are several business's in my city that have large stickers on the entrance doors prohibiting guns (Lowes included).
Perhaps those stores should be shown the email responsefrom Lowe's corporate,
or corporate should hear from a (lost) customer that this one store isn't following their policy.

"Lowe's currently does, and will continue to abide by federal, state and local laws
regarding firearms, and we do not prohibit customers from carrying firearms into our
stores.

Our first and foremost concern is for the safety of our customers, however; we take all
comments and concerns from our customers seriously. We are considerate of all
customers, and will remain neutral regarding the right to carry firearms. We will respect
federal, state and local laws regarding this.

If Lowe's can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to call 1-866-284-8989 or
email execustservice@lowes.com. You may also contact us by mailing your
correspondence to P.O. Box 1111, Mail Code CON8, North Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Thank you,
Julie Holloway
Lowe's Executive Customer Service"

EdwardNorton

imported post

MKEgal wrote:
EdwardNorton wrote:
There are several business's in my city that have large stickers on the entrance doors prohibiting guns (Lowes included).
Perhaps those stores should be shown the email responsefrom Lowe's corporate,
or corporate should hear from a (lost) customer that this one store isn't following their policy.

"Lowe's currently does, and will continue to abide by federal, state and local laws
regarding firearms, and we do not prohibit customers from carrying firearms into our
stores.

Our first and foremost concern is for the safety of our customers, however; we take all
comments and concerns from our customers seriously. We are considerate of all
customers, and will remain neutral regarding the right to carry firearms. We will respect
federal, state and local laws regarding this.

If Lowe's can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to call 1-866-284-8989 or
email execustservice@lowes.com. You may also contact us by mailing your
correspondence to P.O. Box 1111, Mail Code CON8, North Wilkesboro, North Carolina

Thank you,
Julie Holloway
Lowe's Executive Customer Service"
Lowe's is following policy as the city here allows a business to not allow firearms if that's the general con senses of the public to which it is here. Lowes is not the only business here that's chosen to adopt the cities policies in this regards.

UNTIL which time the supreme court dictates that States & Cities cannot prohibit the carrying of handguns it will stay this way here.