• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is our western/gun culture forking, I asked in the Bank Dick thread?

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

http://arachnoid.com/lutusp/crashcourse.html

In the largest sense, American society is breaking into two classes:
  • The first class are people who know how to think. These people realize that most problems are open to examination and creative solution. If a problem appears in the lives of these people, their intellectual training will quickly lead them to a solution or an alternative statement of the problem. These people are the source of the most important product in today's economy — ideas.
  • The second class, the vast majority of Americans, are people who cannot think for themselves. I call these people "idea consumers" — metaphorically speaking, they wander around in a gigantic open-air mall of facts and ideas. The content of their experience is provided by television, the Internet and other shallow data pools. These people believe collecting images and facts makes them educated and competent, and all their experiences reinforce this belief. The central, organizing principle of this class is that ideas come from somewhere else, from magical persons, geniuses, "them."
The world view of these two classes is so fundamentally different that a chasm is opening between them that will soon swallow even the illusion of American democracy.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

lol :lol: + 1

I guess that also puts me in the 1st group as Full time small business owners have to think constantly in order to stay financially viable. try again :D:D:D:lol::lol::lol: life is not Black n White & those that put people into only 2 groups / classes are the reason we have social strife today.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The author makes many good points. Among them: "...each idea must be weighed against all other ideas, and ideas should be evaluated solely on their intrinsic merit, without regard to their source."

gbu28

imported post

What would one expect from people who still believe the world is only a few thousand years old, and that a magical sky daddy is watching over them?

thelongone13

imported post

I also agree that trying to label people is not the right approach here, though I do find myself in the first group. I think the worst sheeple come from both ends of the spectrum of right or left.