• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shall accept State

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I just sent an e-mail to legislater Doug Ericksen, asking him to propose a bill for us to become a Shall accept state. Referring to out of state "concealed permits".

I encourage all here to do the samewith their state legislators I believe this is would be the first step in encouraging other states to do the same.

I was hoping the Thune ammendment would pass, but at the same time the Thune ammendment overstepped States authority.

http://www.leg.wa.gov/house/Pages/default.aspx

amzbrady

imported post

I'm not very good with putting words together in an order that makes a whole lot of sense at times. If you have a draft made up could you post it so we can copy and paste it and send it from our own email address, that would be awesome.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
I'm not very good with putting words together in an order that makes a whole lot of sense at times. If you have a draft made up could you post it so we can copy and paste it and send it from our own email address, that would be awesome.

I used the website e-mail, I should have saved a draft, was kicking myself for not posting it here to get "edited" first. A few guys on here are very good at writing.

I just kept it simple, Introduced myself, I mentioned I realized the Thune ammendment would have overstepped the Federal governments role in the states authority. But would have appreciated the ability to travel freely with my state granted liscense. The first step in getting something done like this would be for our state to reciprocate all other states liscensing in this matter. Also mentioned that since all the states I know of conduct a federal background check that this in no way would conflict with the current laws or procedures already established in our state.

FMCDH

imported post

They could have simply added opt-out, opt-in language in the Thune amendment and it would have worked just fine (and would have passed). That was an oversight on the drafters part. They should have known that trying to force all the states by "federal decree" (except Wisconsin) to do something would have overstepped the 10th amendment.

By simply starting the ball rolling and letting the states that WANTED to be involved, be involved, it would have eventually brought most states under the agreement. I doubt all the states would ever opt-in, but most would and it would have began the social pressure for the standoff states to join once their citizens started seeing how nice the rest of us had it.

I hope it gets re-introduced under that context.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

True but the state I want to go won't opt in Hawaii is my second home and both Akaka and Inouye was against it.

I think though that it should be up tocitizens of thierrespective states to put pressure on them to become Shall Accept states, this too would hopefully foster good willorbe friendly peer pressure to than accept ours.

Who knows it could all be a pipe dream but at there is no harm in trying, and I for one would love to be a Shall Accept State.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Got a response form Ericksens, assistant, I know not much but I am curious how far the contact will go I am sure if more people wrote it could go further.
Dear Robert,

Thank you for your email. I will make sure Rep. Ericksen sees your message.

Sincerely,

Sandy Ruff
Legislative Assistant to:
Rep. Doug Ericksen

amlevin

imported post

The issue of "shall accept" will have to get around existing provisions in current law that require any State, for which we accept their Carry License/Permit, to also accept Washington's CPL. This is spelled out under the conditions for Reciprocity.

Several States have gone so far as to acccept any permit or license issued by the carrier's home state as long as they follow the rules in place in the State that they are visiting. Seems simple but consider how lax the rules can be in some States. No fingerprint or background checking can turn off even many in the middle of our legislators. Same for training. While there are many here that feel these are "infringements", in order for any legislation to pass there has to be an offering to those that are concerned over felons and nut-cases (legally adjudicated so) obtaining carry documents.

Washington State could add a lot of other states to the Reciprocity list if they only required training such as Utah. Make it an offering in Washington and there would be no need to obtain multiple permits.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Well we got to start somewhere.

I am not for extra training, I would understand though if they only accepted states that had criminal background checks. Since that is our state requirement.

And yes reading up and learning the rules of that state and what it involves would be wise too.