• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New GUN Store in Herndon, VA

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

NOVA Armament, LLC ( http://www.novaarmament.com/) is a company that will re-define the "gun-store" experience of seeing dusty animal heads, faded cartridge boxes, dingy lighting, and a lethargic sales staff.
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]When you visit our modern, well-lit showroom located in the heart of Herndon, VA's Historic District you will find a friendly, knowledgeable sales staff that is determined to assist in helping meet your Concealed Carry, Hunting, Target Shooting, and Self-Defense needs.[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Our showroom has the following attractions:[/size][/font]
  • [font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]New Handguns from most of the major manufacturers; if we don't have what you are looking for, it can be ordered.[/size][/font]
  • [font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]New AR-15 / AK-47 rifles.[/size][/font]
  • [font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]New Shotguns.[/size][/font]
  • [font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Used Handgun, rifle, and shotgun section. This is simply what I consider to be one of the best sections, as one never knows what will come through the door.[/size][/font]
  • [font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Consignment Section. Our fees are the lowest of any of the stores in the area. As an added bonus, your consignment can go on Gunbroker.com for a faster sale.[/size][/font]
  • [font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Accessories such as holsters, cleaning kits, and flashlights.[/size][/font]
  • [font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]The "Fairer Sex" section, long under-served by the gun store, we have an expanded section of carry options for females. Yes, that means we have appropriate defensive tools and carry methods beyond pink handguns and purses.[/size][/font]
  • [font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]"Build your own" Ruger 10-22 from several kits and receivers that we have in house. Have it assembled for an extra fee. Have an idea for something that's not offered? Please run it by us and we will see what we can do.[/size][/font]

curtiswr

imported post

I'm in the mood for an AK-47.. but Herndon is a little ways from me. Might be able to check it out on a future trip, after opening.

fizzer

imported post

I live in herndon, and am willing to give it an open minded review. I will however use Virginia Arms, 1 of the best area gun shops, for comparison.

hunter45

imported post

On their Twitter page they said they would be opening in "a couple weeks" (posted December 23rd). I'll definitely check the place out since it isn't too far from me.

Glock27Bill

imported post

Sounds good to me.

There are too few gun stores in this area, given our population.

My FFL recently moved his business out of his home and set up shop in Vienna. For now, he's only doing transfers, but is working towards engaging in sales as well.

My Christmas gift to me is on its way to him (HK .45).

nova

imported post

I know one of the guys there so I'll definitely check the place out. :cool:

hunter45

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
Cheap transfers?

FFL Transfers: 25 Dollars flat. This equals or exceeds any current policy out there among storefronts. Also, get this. When you use us to make a transfer, after your 5th one, your 6th one is free. You will receive a "Frequent FFL Transfer" card, printed on cardstock which we will punch for you after you receive a transfer. When you receive 5 such punch marks, the 6th one will be free. For multiple firearms transfer, we will charge $10 dollars for each additional firearm after the first one. We will accept transfers from private individuals, other gun shops, online distributors, and even manufacturers if we are not hindered by any of the purchase / stocking dealer agreements that are out there. The only restriction we are placing on this for the moment is for the customer to come in and fill out a form so that we know whom the firearm will be for when it arrives.

kle

imported post

ed wrote:
kle wrote:
wait, you're in on this too, Ed? awesome!
nope.. not "in on it" just reposted their ad that was sent to me for comment.
ah; I know one of the guys who's going in on it, and I thought I'd know two guys now. Sounds good, though; they just got their FFL approved, and they say they'll be up and running in a couple weeks. Can't wait!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hunter45 wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
Cheap transfers?

FFL Transfers: 25 Dollars flat. This equals or exceeds any current policy out there among storefronts. Also, get this. When you use us to make a transfer, after your 5th one, your 6th one is free. You will receive a "Frequent FFL Transfer" card, printed on cardstock which we will punch for you after you receive a transfer. When you receive 5 such punch marks, the 6th one will be free. For multiple firearms transfer, we will charge $10 dollars for each additional firearm after the first one. We will accept transfers from private individuals, other gun shops, online distributors, and even manufacturers if we are not hindered by any of the purchase / stocking dealer agreements that are out there. The only restriction we are placing on this for the moment is for the customer to come in and fill out a form so that we know whom the firearm will be for when it arrives.

That's ^^^ a sticking point for me. Multiple guns can still be handled on one form with one phone call, so there is not enough extra work involved to justify (in my mind) the extra fee(s). They don't mentoion it, but are they also planning on collecting $2 for each firearm for calling VSP once?

A new gun store, a used guns section to be built up, handling consignments in house and on Gunbroker are all pluses, even if it means driving into actual NoVa. he additional plus is I can make a day trip out of it by doing the gunstore circuit.

I'm just not happy with the add-on transfer fees. I've emailed them about it. We'll see what they have to say.

stay safe.

skidmark.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

skidmark wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
Cheap transfers?

That's ^^^ a sticking point for me. Multiple guns can still be handled on one form with one phone call, so there is not enough extra work involved to justify (in my mind) the extra fee(s). They don't mentoion it, but are they also planning on collecting $2 for each firearm for calling VSP once?

A new gun store, a used guns section to be built up, handling consignments in house and on Gunbroker are all pluses, even if it means driving into actual NoVa. he additional plus is I can make a day trip out of it by doing the gunstore circuit.

I'm just not happy with the add-on transfer fees. I've emailed them about it. We'll see what they have to say.

stay safe.

skidmark.

I received a response today:
Skidmark,

First of all, thank you for asking questions re: our policies. We value any input we can receive. The policies are new and may change in the future depending on the feedback we receive. However for now, we will keep them as they are. They are equal to or better than anything else among showrooms and other storefronts in Northern VA. I cannot speak for the other areas in the state.

We'd love to see you sometime. I realize the drive from Richmond to Northern VA is arduous at best and spine numbing at worst so we would be honored to welcome you to our showroom and maybe even introduce you to our consignment policy.

Take care,

NOVA Armament, LLC
I'll be making a pilgrimage up that way in the next few weeks and will stop in to meet them in person. Yes, I will ask to see their consignment policy, even if I'm not inclined to consign any firearms at the moment.

For now I'm willing to continue the "wait and see" strategy regarding their "we charge extra to do multiple guns on the same transfer" policy. Since I'm not in NoVa it does not matter to me that I could do better, including gas costs, by taking my business elsewhere for three guns transferred.

stay safe.

skidmark

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

altajava wrote:
The wording on their web site would indicate they are open for business now. I will check it out in the morning!

They responded to me with this:

Now as to your question, We FINALLY agreed on a date of Saturday Jan 30, 2010. My partner's gone for most of next week at the Ellet Brothers distributor conference. Then, I am gone from 15th to the 25th as I am on vacation, and at SHOT Show in Vegas with my partner and possibly our manager. We figured being "Open and Closed" for various parts of January wasn't good, so we settled on 30 January 2010. We're probably going to have an Open Pit BBQ at the Moose Club next door on the 29th. I have to talk to their leadership though to be sure.

We look forward to seeing you there!

fairfax1

imported post

Hopefully, they don't do the nonsense that Sharpshooters (Gilberts) does and say only law enforcement can have a loaded weapon in the store.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I really don't know about this.

I have kind of gotten used to a "gun-store" experience more along the lines of dusty animal heads, faded cartridge boxes, dingy lighting, and a lethargic sales staff.

It seems to me that a modern, well-lit showroom located in the heart of Herndon, VA's Historic District with friendly, knowledgeable sales people who are determined to assist in helping meet Concealed Carry, Hunting, Target Shooting, and Self-Defense needs, may be almost antithetical to firearms ownership.

I mean really the idea that a gun shop would hire someone who actually knows something about guns, and would provide a place out in the full light of day to conduct transactions. Moreover to locate the place un an upscale area. Why there is just something almost ... well ... Constitutional about that.

WHAT A WELCOME CHANGE THAT WILL BE!!

The best of luck to you guys:celebrate

dyver1

imported post

ed wrote:
altajava wrote:
The wording on their web site would indicate they are open for business now. I will check it out in the morning!

They responded to me with this:

Now as to your question, We FINALLY agreed on a date of Saturday Jan 30, 2010. My partner's gone for most of next week at the Ellet Brothers distributor conference. Then, I am gone from 15th to the 25th as I am on vacation, and at SHOT Show in Vegas with my partner and possibly our manager. We figured being "Open and Closed" for various parts of January wasn't good, so we settled on 30 January 2010. We're probably going to have an Open Pit BBQ at the Moose Club next door on the 29th. I have to talk to their leadership though to be sure.

We look forward to seeing you there!

Can't wait for the 30th to roll around. They are 5 minutes from my house, so a shopping stop is definatley in my plans for their opening.

Be Careful Out There!

Paul

nova

imported post

fairfax1 wrote:
Hopefully, they don't do the nonsense that Sharpshooters (Gilberts) does and say only law enforcement can have a loaded weapon in the store.
I wouldn't think so.

For that matter I've been meaning to talk with Tim at Sharpshooters and ask him if they'd consider changing their policy to allow HOLSTERED firearms. That way people can carry, and the store doesn't have to worry about people trying out holsters with loaded firearms like they said they had once :uhoh:.