• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New GUN Store in Herndon, VA

NOVA Armament

imported post

Ah,

Our first post on OpenCarry.org! :celebrate:dude::monkey

I don't see why we would forbid the legal practices of Open or Concealed Carry. The only thing we'd ask is that the firearms stay holstered.

For one, it's not like we are going to know if you are carrying concealed or not unless you are wearing tons of 5.11 gear with the logo, or have one something so tight that the gun prints.Concealed isconcealed.

As for Open Carry? Well, I am assuming you'd be doing it for a few reasons: To exercise your 2nd Amendment rights, it's hot out, or doing the typical education thing for non gun owners.

So, come on down. We welcome Open Carry and Concealed Carry Pistol holders!

NOVA Armament, LLC

NOVA Armament

imported post

Ed,

Send away. Both of the owners are active VCDL members. :celebrateWe've been speaking to Philip IRT our online store and how to link something to the VCDL website.

TFred

imported post

NOVA Armament wrote:
I don't see why we would forbid the legal practices of Open or Concealed Carry. The only thing we'd ask is that the firearms stay holstered.
This seems to be the key, and I think most folks are smart enough to do this anyway.

I suspect the problem that some stores have is the few idiots who come in OCing, then decide they might want to have someone (either a store employee or another customer) examine the gun that they are OCing.

That is bad.

Perhaps a good policy that all gun stores should adopt would be:

"If you want to show or handle your gun, bring it unloaded and in a case!"

Or perhaps:

"Legally carried, loaded weapons are not to be un-holstered or otherwise handled under any circumstances... unless you are thwarting a crime!"
:)

TFred

nova

imported post

NOVA Armament wrote:
Ah,

Our first post on OpenCarry.org! :celebrate:dude::monkey

For one, it's not like we are going to know if you are carrying concealed or not unless you are wearing tons of 5.11 gear with the logo, or have one something so tight that the gun prints.Concealed isconcealed.

As for Open Carry? Well, I am assuming you'd be doing it for a few reasons: To exercise your 2nd Amendment rights, it's hot out, or doing the typical education thing for non gun owners.

So, come on down. We welcome Open Carry and Concealed Carry Pistol holders!

NOVA Armament, LLC
Welcome to the forum!:)

nova

imported post

TFred wrote:
NOVA Armament wrote:
This seems to be the key, and I think most folks are smart enough to do this anyway.

I suspect the problem that some stores have is the few idiots who come in OCing, then decide they might want to have someone (either a store employee or another customer) examine the gun that they are OCing.

That is bad.

Or perhaps:

"Legally carried, loaded weapons are not to be un-holstered or otherwise handled under any circumstances... unless you are thwarting a crime!"
:)

TFred
or "Loaded firearms must remain holstered" would work also.

TFred

imported post

nova wrote:
TFred wrote:
NOVA Armament wrote:

That is bad.

Or perhaps:

"Legally carried, loaded weapons are not to be un-holstered or otherwise handled under any circumstances... unless you are thwarting a crime!" :)

TFred
or "Loaded firearms must remain holstered" would work also.
:) Yes, that is much better. I was overcomplicating.

TFred

architect

imported post

nova wrote:
"Loaded firearms must remain holstered"
+1 saying it that way. This allows for an administrative unload, with the firearm remaining holstered until unloaded, should it need to be examined for possible smithing, tried for fit, etc. This can be done with most self-loaders and many holsters. Revolvers, not so much.

Of course, firearms are always loaded...:)

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

architect wrote:
+1 saying it that way. This allows for an administrative unload, with the firearm remaining holstered until unloaded
Not to nitpick, but at one point during an administrative unload, the firearm is drawn while there is a round chambered until it is cycled out.I would suggest that if there was a need to draw a firearm from a holster, that there be a bullet trap of some kind present for the firearm owner to use to clear that chambered round.

Riana

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
architect wrote:
+1 saying it that way. This allows for an administrative unload, with the firearm remaining holstered until unloaded
Not to nitpick, but at one point during an administrative unload, the firearm is drawn while there is a round chambered until it is cycled out.I would suggest that if there was a need to draw a firearm from a holster, that there be a bullet trap of some kind present for the firearm owner to use to clear that chambered round.
I would think the solution would be if you intend to unholster the firearm in the store (you know you're going holster shopping, for example), make sure it's unloaded before entering. Whether that means unload at home or unload in your car is up to you (but unloading at home would make more sense).

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Riana wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
architect wrote:
I would think the solution would be if you intend to unholster the firearm in the store (you know you're going holster shopping, for example), make sure it's unloaded before entering. Whether that means unload at home or unload in your car is up to you (but unloading at home would make more sense).

Tell that to the guy up at Bass Pro a few months ago....:)

Riana

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Riana wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
architect wrote:
Tell that to the guy up at Bass Pro a few months ago....:)
I must've missed that one. There's always one in the crowd. :lol:

zoom6zoom

imported post

ed wrote:
NOVA Armament wrote:
NOVA Armament, LLC

Welcome to the forum and to the area.

I will send you a box of WHY JOIN THE VCDL info cards for you to have available for your patrons (if thats ok).

Ed
Also shoot pourshot a PM and he can send you a VCDL counter kit with brochure holder, flyers, and such.

architect

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
architect wrote:
Not to nitpick but the way I was taught was to cycle the slide before drawing. Yeah, the cartridge goes on the ground most of the time, so what?

bcr229

imported post

skidmark wrote:
For now I'm willing to continue the "wait and see" strategy regarding their "we charge extra to do multiple guns on the same transfer" policy. Since I'm not in NoVa it does not matter to me that I could do better, including gas costs, by taking my business elsewhere for three guns transferred.

As an FFL I'd like to address this. There's more to transferring a second (or third...) firearm than simply entering the make, model, s/n, etc onto the 4473. In many cases multiple guns being transferred to one person are shipped in separately. They are both received, signed for, inspected when they arrive,logged in to the bound book, and stored in the safe. Often they come with accessories that we ensure remain withthe gun. Our insurance coversall of theguns should they be stolen ordestroyed in a fire. In addition, iftwo or moreof the guns being transferred are handguns then we must file a "Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers" to the ATF.

FWIW we don't discount our fees for transfers of multiple firearms, but since we only charge $5 each our customers don't complain.

Now for an important question and I'm surprised no onehas asked yet: Will NOVA Armament be getting its SOT?

NOVA Armament

imported post

As an FFL I'd like to address this. There's more to transferring a second (or third...) firearm than simply entering the make, model, s/n, etc onto the 4473. In many cases multiple guns being transferred to one person are shipped in separately. They are both received, signed for, inspected when they arrive,logged in to the bound book, and stored in the safe. Often they come with accessories that we ensure remain withthe gun. Our insurance coversall of theguns should they be stolen ordestroyed in a fire. In addition, iftwo or moreof the guns being transferred are handguns then we must file a "Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers" to the ATF.
Thank you for the additional information on this topic. :dude:

Now for an important question and I'm surprised no onehas asked yet: Will NOVA Armament be getting its SOT?
It's in the plans to do so. However, it's all we can do just to ensure wehave sufficient inventory on hand tofill our cases.There's definitely a market for it. Considering that it'll just be us and Dawson's that doesn't have it's SOT we'd be stupid not to go for it.

:celebrate:monkey