• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Merry Chrismas, Santa came early Not exactly OC, but it will be carried in the open

triehl27

imported post

So this last summer I mentioned my desire for a "Pack Carbine" something compact to carry hiking.

Well apparently Uncle Santa, was perusing a Spokane gun show and came across several AK variants for $199EA all needed cosmetic work or wood work (Read butt ugly wood stocks on 3 of um) or a tweak here or there as in mine.

So he bought all 5 of um on the spot.

My new Pack rifle.... A Yugo M70AB under folder. Complete with a Chinese Paratrooper drop case and a Bayonet. Along with 7 Yugo(at least they hold the bolt open) 30rnd mags and a 5rndr and 2 10rnders too.

Here I was thinking Thompson contender 30/30 for a pack carbine.

Went to the range before it closed. Shot to the right, WAY right. Adjusted adjusted adjusted. Finally really looked it over... Canted front sight.

Not a prob, stripped it down pulled the front sight pins, screwed on the Front sight blocks to give more purchaseand not damage or crush the front sight, and got out my B.F.W. (Big, "Fabulous" Wrench)

Heated front sight with candle, added Lots a torque and it popped right over. RePinned it, repainted it with Matte Black paint pen, and it is now good to go.

Uncle is bringing the rest over tomorow, so that while the inlaws are jawing about what the cousin I have never heard of before just did, we can disappear, refinish some wood stocks, and tinker.

My best group was 1.8" 5rnds at 100yds with the open sights, and Wolf Ammo. 4" high and 2" right of bullseye. Realise I started off 3 ft right off the paper, and 2 feet low.

Still once it is sighted in it will be an awesome mid range carbine.

Metalhead47

imported post

trofwa wrote:
So this last summer I mentioned my desire for a "Pack Carbine" something compact to carry hiking.

Well apparently Uncle Santa, was perusing a Spokane gun show and came across several AK variants for $199EA all needed cosmetic work or wood work (Read butt ugly wood stocks on 3 of um) or a tweak here or there as in mine.

So he bought all 5 of um on the spot.

My new Pack rifle.... A Yugo M70AB under folder. Complete with a Chinese Paratrooper drop case and a Bayonet. Along with 7 Yugo(at least they hold the bolt open) 30rnd mags and a 5rndr and 2 10rnders too.

Here I was thinking Thompson contender 30/30 for a pack carbine.

Went to the range before it closed. Shot to the right, WAY right. Adjusted adjusted adjusted. Finally really looked it over... Canted front sight.

Not a prob, stripped it down pulled the front sight pins, screwed on the Front sight blocks to give more purchaseand not damage or crush the front sight, and got out my B.F.W. (Big, "Fabulous" Wrench)

Heated front sight with candle, added Lots a torque and it popped right over. RePinned it, repainted it with Matte Black paint pen, and it is now good to go.

Uncle is bringing the rest over tomorow, so that while the inlaws are jawing about what the cousin I have never heard of before just did, we can disappear, refinish some wood stocks, and tinker.

My best group was 1.8" 5rnds at 100yds with the open sights, and Wolf Ammo. 4" high and 2" right of bullseye. Realise I started off 3 ft right off the paper, and 2 feet low.

Still once it is sighted in it will be an awesome mid range carbine.
Don't suppose Unlcle Santa wants to get rid of any of those others he picked up :lol:

Man and I thought mine was a steal for $400. Need to start going to gun shows.

triehl27

imported post

Actually it isn't mostly ugly stocks as missing pieces.
So It is
1 WASR hicap. with some of the most jagged splitered furniture I have ever seen and a canted front sight. Wood is just shattered into splinters, looks like the forearm was used to block a lead pipe. No damage other then the wood which actually came off in pieces Gonna have to get some wood for it as both upper and lower are simply dangerous and unsalvageable. This Gun has quite a few handling marks and dings in the metal showing silver from shifting around in shipping, may have broken loose and bounced around in a shipping case. Internals and gas tube show no carbon whatsoever though. No dents or bends just cosmetics.

1 Rom side folder Missing upper hand guard and gas tube and lower forearm (Have a set here I think) someone dremeled a notch in the scope plate on the side and forward right corner of mag well in the reciever is miss cut for Hi Caps. Little more dremel work and it'll fit perfect. (this one may also be mine if I can get the others done by Tuesday when he leaves.) This Gun has obviously been shot

1 Yugo m70ab (mine)

1 Norinco Mak 90 minus ALL furniture, ( I have a set around here somewhere... maybe, I used to at least) This Rifle is brand new still it it's original styrofoam carton and box, just no furniture.

1 SAR1 minus a grip. and rear sight leaf, (No Problem got those in the parts box) This one brand new, perfect condition not a scratch except for missing the grip and sight.

Mine was the only was that was complete enough to give as a gift without worrying about shredding your hand. I belive that all are Century Arms except for the Mak90

Otherwise having gone over these for the last several hours, they are all functional as far as I can tell. Some good old USA furniture and parts and he is good to go.