• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Times you were glad you were carrying!

TaftPRead

imported post

I've been carrying still under a year now and I haven't run into any situations yet where I felt I NEEDED to be carrying, but I'm sure I will in the long run.

I just wanted to hear some of your experiences where you were glad that you were carrying your firearm. (i.e. carjacked, held up, etc., or something less moderate)

Thanks!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
Oh.....I have DOZENS of times I'm glad I was carrying.

At my age, I've been there, done that.
+1 That and I'm still glad every day.

Yata hey

TaftPRead

imported post

Well I'm sure you all have times that you were glad, but how about some examples? I'm curious as to what kind of situation(s) y'all were in when you WERE happy to be carrying.

GoldCoaster

imported post

A few instances:

1. wasn't carrying, got verbally accosted outside a supermarket by some thug who thought I should stop what I was doing and talk to him. I kept walking and he got down off the trash can and caught up to me "I wuz talkin to you! I don like yo attitude" Not that I'd have drawn on him but when he mentioned "I should just take your groceries" it did make me wonder. Eventually I said "I have shit to do, and it doesn't involve making you feel better" and walked away. He went back to his trash can.

2. Was carrying, some drama unfolded between a bar and a car I was walking past with my wife and the dog. Bartender getting into a beef with two tipsy patrons, walked out on a bar bill, yelling ensued. Nothing happened but at least I was paying attention (SA always higher when carrying) so I knew what the deal was. Wife didn't have any idea until I explained it to her as we continued away. "How did you know all that from him yelling?" I told her I saw the two walking to the car looking a bit off, saw the bartender looking around the patio bar then seeing the two walking away and yelling something to his buddy and coming out full speed towards them. None of this she noticed until the yelling started near their car.

3. (my personal favorite) Walking on a desolate part of a long beach where an old amusement park remnants are (been closed for a decade) and looks like a place that time forgot. Anyone could be lurking around and your miles from help. At one point my wife (who isn't a big fan of guns) says "umm are you carrying?" so I said (tapping my hip) "absolutely" and laughed. She said "First time I'm glad you're carrying huh?"

jfrey123

imported post

Last Christmas EveI was taking my fiancee and a group of friend out to looks at Christmas lights. As we were walking to the car, I distinctly heard 2-3 shots in the distance. It was a very good distance away, so it peaked my interest but didn't require a reaction on my part. After we got in the car a man came from the opposite side of the street and motioned for me to roll down my window. This had me about an inch fromCondition Red, as this wasa very rare occurance at 9pm,and I only gave him a crack to speak through. He asked me if I'd heard gunshots a minute ago, and I replied that they might've been firecrackers or something, I had no idea.

He thanked me, then walked away the direction he came from toward the front of my vehicle. As he crossed into my head lamps, his short cut leather jacket exposed a shiney piece of metal on his right hip, which ended up being the shiny base of a magazine loaded into a pistol. Right as I noticed my headlights glisten off of that mag, he drew his handgun. Ok, FULL CONDITION RED NOW.

My seatbelt came off and I was about to jump out of the car when I noticed he just kept walking away. He wasn't turning to engage us, didn't point atanything,just kept on walking. So I chose to retreat since I had 4 others with me. Quickly backed down the road, flipped the u-turn, and drove off with fiancee calling 911. Glad I had it, didn't need it.

TaftPRead

imported post

WOW jfrey! In your situation I would have probably done the same thing. Although, in retrospect, do you think that maybe he was a concerned citizen such as yourself? Maybe he drew his pistol in fear of running into the person that may have actually fired the shots? Just another point of view.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TaftPRead wrote:
WOW jfrey! In your situation I would have probably done the same thing. Although, in retrospect, do you think that maybe he was a concerned citizen such as yourself? Maybe he drew his pistol in fear of running into the person that may have actually fired the shots? Just another point of view.
Not many here (maybe none) would draw their pistol and walk around with it in their hand for fear of running into the shooter. Just too many unknowns and no immediate threat. It still belongs in his holster IMO.

Yata hey

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

In my apartment complex.

We have a "gated community" where the cursed gate is open all the time, soreally it isn't gater at all. We have some fat security guard with pepper spray and a flash light who couldn't chase a donut down the street.

Anyway, the mail room in locked so that people can't steel your mail. I went to check the mail with my cousin. He was CCing a Sig P229 DAK and I was OCing my Glock 19. We're just about to unlock the mail room when we're aproached by a man with (no kidding) a 5-gallon bucket from Home Depot and a long flat-head screw driver.

He askesus to open the mail room door for him. We respectfully declined. He then made some ebonics ridden threat and motioned his "weapon" toward me.I pointed at the Glock on my hip and said something to the effect of "dude, are you serious?" about that time I saw my cousin grabbing for his weapon. When my eyes returned to our "attacker," there was a puff of smoke and a bucket/screw driverspinning on the ground.

TaftPRead

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
In my apartment complex.

We have a "gated community" where the cursed gate is open all the time, so really it isn't gater at all. We have some fat security guard with pepper spray and a flash light who couldn't chase a donut down the street.

Anyway, the mail room in locked so that people can't steel your mail. I went to check the mail with my cousin. He was CCing a Sig P229 DAK and I was OCing my Glock 19. We're just about to unlock the mail room when we're aproached by a man with (no kidding) a 5-gallon bucket from Home Depot and a long flat-head screw driver.

He askes us to open the mail room door for him. We respectfully declined. He then made some ebonics ridden threat and motioned his "weapon" toward me. I pointed at the Glock on my hip and said something to the effect of "dude, are you serious?" about that time I saw my cousin grabbing for his weapon. When my eyes returned to our "attacker," there was a puff of smoke and a bucket/screw driver spinning on the ground.

Would that be a justified shooting? I mean if you do shoot someone, don't you have to prove that you felt an immediate threat towards yours or someone else's life?

sempercarry

imported post

Not from this state but I saw the topic and felt like sharing. My Bronco got hit and I was supplied with a rental PT Loser...ahem Cruiser. I wascameout of best buy and started to get into my rental when a man approached me for a ride down the street to the gas station where he would fill a gas can and return to the parking lot. I agreed and he got in. When we got to the gas station he said " about $20 should do"

I told him that I agreed to give him a ride to the gas station...nothing more. He got agitated and ended up yelling atme to just give himthe fu&#@$! money. We went back and forth for a couple of minutes.I told him heneeded to get out of my car and he said I needed to give him the money. At that point I pulled out my Glock 30 and set it on my left knee and told him to get out. As soon as he saw the gun he got out of the car so fastI couldnt even finish my sentence. I mention that this was a rental because I can't believe that this guy would have tried this if I was driving my lifted Bronco with an NRA sticker and DOD decals on it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TaftPRead wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:
In my apartment complex.

We have a "gated community" where the cursed gate is open all the time, soreally it isn't gater at all. We have some fat security guard with pepper spray and a flash light who couldn't chase a donut down the street.

He askesus to open the mail room door for him. We respectfully declined. He then made some ebonics ridden threat and motioned his "weapon" toward me.I pointed at the Glock on my hip and said something to the effect of "dude, are you serious?" about that time I saw my cousin grabbing for his weapon. When my eyes returned to our "attacker," there was a puff of smoke and a bucket/screw driverspinning on the ground.

Would that be a justified shooting? I mean if you do shoot someone, don't you have to prove that you felt an immediate threat towards yours or someone else's life?
Tactical awareness got little low (easy to do around home) - bg got way too close, you took your eyes off him.

Imagine a screw driver to the chest - fear of life and desire to stop him - oh ya!

Was it reported? Don't know, but should have been - might save somebody else.

Ended well - no hits, no costly errors, hopefully some lessons learned.
Practice moving apart immediately, gives bg no close compact target, provides distance and offers triangulation on bg - produces real ah snit moment for him.

This it-happened-to-me personal experience story is simple, clean and without pats on the back, high fives, embellishment or LOL.

Well told. I likely would not have respectfully declined though. :D

Yata hey

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

TaftPRead wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:
In my apartment complex.

Depends upon the specific state code. Some states require you to justify your actions and a lack of witnesses or good audio/video recordings can leave you in a world of hurt, especially if the Prosecutor has a hardon for the case. Other states are required to prove that you were NOT justified in your actions. This is easier on those defending life especially if you are the only surviving witness!

Arizona recently changed their law on this and it resulted in a former school teacher being ABSOLVED of the crime he had been found guilty of after he shot and killed someone running at him while screaming like a banshie that he was going to kill the teacher. The teacher had also just shot the other guys dog that was working on attacking.

jfrey123

imported post

TaftPRead wrote:

I had that thought in hindsight. I've actually got threads on here and Nevadashooters.com where I described the situation and ask if I had gotten any of the members in hot water. I've got mixed feelings on it, because in all likely hood it was probably a concerned citizen and I wouldn't want someone to get into trouble because of me.

However, if it was a concerned citizen, he's probably more of a rogue vigilante, and if he got stopped that night it's probably better the cops found him instead of the perps offing him.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Grapeshot,

My cousin never took his eyes off the dude.

Yes, it was reported. No they didn't catch him.
Was criticizing anyone - just Monday morning quarterbacking. :)

You did say, " When my eyes returned to our "attacker," though. :p

Yata hey

Hef

imported post

sempercarry wrote:
Not from this state but I saw the topic and felt like sharing. My Bronco got hit and I was supplied with a rental PT Loser...ahem Cruiser. I wascameout of best buy and started to get into my rental when a man approached me for a ride down the street to the gas station where he would fill a gas can and return to the parking lot. I agreed and he got in. When we got to the gas station he said " about $20 should do"

I told him that I agreed to give him a ride to the gas station...nothing more. He got agitated and ended up yelling atme to just give himthe fu&#@$! money. We went back and forth for a couple of minutes.I told him heneeded to get out of my car and he said I needed to give him the money. At that point I pulled out my Glock 30 and set it on my left knee and told him to get out. As soon as he saw the gun he got out of the car so fastI couldnt even finish my sentence. I mention that this was a rental because I can't believe that this guy would have tried this if I was driving my lifted Bronco with an NRA sticker and DOD decals on it.

Your first mistake was to give him a ride.

TaftPRead

imported post

Hef, if you were in a sticky situation where you wanted someone to give you a ride to a gas station so you could fill up a can to get gas, wouldn't you want some good citizen like sempercarry to offer you a ride to help you out with your situation?

He didn't really do anything wrong by trying to do a good deed, he simply got unlucky to pick up an asshole trying to get money from him.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

TaftPRead wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:
In my apartment complex.

Wow.

Just, wow....

P. S. Good work by BS to report the incident. As grapeshot said, might save someone else some grief. Much better to take a little time to report stuff like this than to slough it off.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

A very angry dog once charged at me from a considerable distance that it covered very quickly, but fortunately retreated just as he was about to be in kicking distance. Had the dog not retreated at that precise moment I felt it was likely that the encounter would have ended much less optimally.