• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many out their are former LEO, Military or just a regular citizen?

How many are former LEO or Military?

• Total voters

davesnothere

6 years, 5 months, 1989 to 1996, US Army, 36L and 31F with F5 qualification tossed in for some oddball fun.

The full MOS name sounds a lot more interesting than it was, but the job scored me a great career in Telecommunications and Information Technology.

Tactical Automatic Switching Systems Operator/Maintainer and later Mobile Subscriber Equipment Operator. Unlike most 31F folks, I was also qualified to fix the equipment due to my previous life as a 36L.

The F5 qualification meant I was qualified for Mail Operations. Oddly enough, a lot of us who had TS clearances had the F5 qualification.

I served at Ft. Huachuca, AZ (11th Sig. BDE, 40th and 86th Signal BN, 593rd, Rear Provisional, and 385th Signal Cos.) from 1990 to 1993, with a lovely 6 month visit to Saudi Arabia and Bahrain in support of Operations Desert Storm and Desert Farewell. Following that, I spent 3 years and 3 months in lovely Mannheim, Germany, stationed at Coleman Kaserne. While there I was assigned to the B Co., 97th Sig. BN and 414th Sig. Co. which were both LANDCENT NATO units.

davesnothere

E-7 in 10 years. Okay. :uhoh:

It's entirely possible in today's wartime Army. I have worked as a defense contractor in Iraq and Afghanistan off and on for 6 of the last 8 years and I have known a number of folks who have risen to E7 in 10 years. High turnover, medical discharges (both typical and combat-related), as well as continual redeployment to war zones in Iraq and Afghanistan push NCOs up the chain pretty fast. I've even known two individuals who were frocked as E-7 (wearing the rank, but not being paid for it) who hadn't been to ANCOC or BNCOC.

As the Iraq war draws down and the military begins to downsize again these situations will become less and less common as they were during the 80s and 90s, but for now, that's the reality.

decklin

4 years AD Infantry in the Army. 11 months NG. Two tours in Iraq. And it is absolutely possible to make E-7 in 10 years. I made SGT/E-5 in less than three years. I have two different friends I served with that made SSG/E-6 in four years. I know a SFC/E-7 that made rank in seven years. Try not to call someone a liar when you know nothing about them.

Last edited:

MilProGuy

4 years AD Infantry in the Army. 11 months NG. Two tours in Iraq. And it is absolutely possible to make E-7 in 10 years. I made SGT/E-5 in less than three years. I have two different friends I served with that made SSG/E-6 in four years. I know a SFC/E-7 that made rank in seven years. Try not to call someone a liar when you know nothing about them.

Well-stated, Sergeant.

Thanks! :dude:

Malcolm

U.S. Army 07-11

Army 07-11, Mostly psychological work. Iraq, Afghan vet. looking into possible LEO work. I don't think that makes much of a difference when it comes to patriotism or weapons proficiency though. A persons mind is the first line of defense, everything else follows.