• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many out their are former LEO, Military or just a regular citizen?

How many are former LEO or Military?

• Total voters

xd shooter

Former Army Aviation, Crewed CH-47's for 7 years, 2 deployments, Operation Just Cause chasing down Noriega, then Desert Shield/Storm for the 6 month tour.

Aknazer

Seven years active duty AF AWACS flyer here. Though at age 6 when asked why I wanted to join the military I said, "if I don't defend my country, who will?" and that was when I made up my mind about wanting to defend. I also have family that go all the way back to 101st Airborne in WWII with every war and service in-between; and my brother is also currently serving, so I guess the military just kinda runs in the family.

Last edited:

OldCurlyWolf

You may have escaped with your brain intact :p

:monkey

Probably not. If I could back up about 30 - 35 years, I would change a few things and still go Marines. My choice there would have been force recon.

I was not born a sheeple. Without a modicum of self control I could easily have been a wolf instead of a real mean sheepdog.

:cool:

Aknazer

Not anymore. PT isn't real tough anymore and DURING Basic Training when i went through (last year), We had 3 pizza parties, and a fireworks display.

Sounds like you had it easier than the AF and we're often called the country club. We had only one base lib pass and even on the 4th of July we didn't get to watch the fireworks or participate in any of the activities.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Sounds like you had it easier than the AF and we're often called the country club. We had only one base lib pass and even on the 4th of July we didn't get to watch the fireworks or participate in any of the activities.

Was that guy army? Before I met my wife she was dating some army national gaurdsmen. He would call her crying throughout basic training....FROM HIS CELL PHONE!!!!!! She was able to confirm through him the stress cards. I guess it isn't everywhere in Army basic training, but some areas do have them...

Yet yes, us Air Force guys, we are the country club O_O I remember occasionaly running into some soldiers in training on Lackland, when we shared what was required from us for PT they were just like :shocker:

ABNinfantryman

Uh what?

I guess National Guard must be less intense than active duty. Stress cards do not exist in any basic I or any of my friends went through, and that includes Fort Jackson, Fort Benning, and Fort Sill.

They exist. We had a company in basic that got to go to the shoppette every weekend and had access to cell phones and other electronics. Even allowed them tobacco after the day's training. Meanwhile my company was getting smoked by drill sergeants being investigated for three deaths from the previous cycle including a kid who jumped off the third floor and stuck his landing so his legs went up into his abdomen. Charlie House of Pain for the win! One of the recycles who graduated with my platoon went on to kill a cab driver in Columbus, GA and buried him in a shallow grave after beating up a hooker while at Airborne school, now one of his former prison guards is our brigade PMO. "Hey man, did you have a guy who killed a cab driver at Benning?" "You mean ****, that MFer" "Yup thats him. Small world."

slowfiveoh

They exist. We had a company in basic that got to go to the shoppette every weekend and had access to cell phones and other electronics. Even allowed them tobacco after the day's training. Meanwhile my company was getting smoked by drill sergeants being investigated for three deaths from the previous cycle including a kid who jumped off the third floor and stuck his landing so his legs went up into his abdomen. Charlie House of Pain for the win! One of the recycles who graduated with my platoon went on to kill a cab driver in Columbus, GA and buried him in a shallow grave after beating up a hooker while at Airborne school, now one of his former prison guards is our brigade PMO. "Hey man, did you have a guy who killed a cab driver at Benning?" "You mean ****, that MFer" "Yup thats him. Small world."

Absolute craziness.

I still, by observation, think that AF basic and PT standards are cake by comparison. However, that "stress card" crap is weak. Some soldiers just aren't fit to make the cut. Why does the Army do this crap? For retention?

That's some seriously dumb ****.

okboomer

Oh, yeah, even BAMs had to PT during boot camp ... still can't get the stench of that swamp out of my nose, 30 years later :lol:

Pizza party??? Didn't know what that was during boot. Got only 6 hours of liberty the last 2 days of boot and 3 hours of that was a mandatory movie at the base movie theater.

And the one recruit that had been Army (had to quit for having an affair with the base Msgt :banghead: ) complained all the way through about how tough it was to be in a barracks (60+ other PMSing screaming meemies) instead of the 2-man dorm rooms she had in army boot, and how there wasn't any free time (liberty to go out on the town and drink at a real bar.)

Ah, the good old days when I wasn't suffering though these hot flashes :rolleyes:

M-Taliesin

Regular Citizen

Howdy Folks!
I am just a regular citizen.
I owe that to a diet rich in fiber and plenty of roughage.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Absolute craziness.

I still, by observation, think that AF basic and PT standards are cake by comparison.

If the Army is the one with stress cards and the Air Force is "cake," what does that make the Army? <insert soft desert here>

Not to mention AF AIT is cake by comparison. Army and Marine units are still locked down for the most part, with a little bit of liberty on the weekends. Air Force guys get to use their gameboys, etc in their rooms. Pretty hardcore hooah?

Hardcore? I like'd being treated somewhat like a human. If I WANTED to get treated like **** I'd have joined the Marines. I originally came into a career field where the tech school was army/marine/navy/air force. I heard their horror stories on how they had NOTHING in their rooms and were locked down to the base... If you like living like that just so you can say you're "hard core" then have at it. *slow clap*

The new component test allows for Air Force members to simply do "marginal" in all areas
Not true. You cannot pass if you meet the minimum score required in all areas. You have to meet the minimum score in all areas AND beat a 75 to pass. 75 is not equal to a 65.9, which is what score you'd recieve if you simply did "marginal" in all areas. But I'm the one who's "smoking" right?

We were still working out, still singing songs about their hairstyles. They were probably on their way to McDonalds.

A bunch of dude's getting together running in short shorts singing about hairstyles... Yes, you are indeed hard core... They were probably on their way to McDonalds? What does that have to do with anything?

I got to see the interaction between TI and airman, and to be blunt, you guys have a posh lifestyle in basic compared to the treatment we got.

I know this didn't occur to you, but when the families come to see their sons/daughters/husbands/etc etc the MTIs don't go balls to the wall infront of people. You know all those cushy military basic training videos you see where it seems all nice? It's not a public show they put on for the families.

In summation....you guys got the stress cards... nuff said...

N00blet45

Air Force all the way. Basic was a joke, as were the PT standards. Discipline was lacking for the most part as well. I'm sure I could have hacked it in the Army or Marines though. But why do that? An E-4 in the Army sleeping on the ground, eating slop, and getting yelled at gets paid the same as an E-4 in the Air Force sleeping in a hotel, eating burgers, and being asked nicely. I can't help it I was smart enough to choose a branch that treated me well. It's not that I'm not hardcore. It's that I don't have to prove I'm hardcore to anyone, including myself.

I always thought the soldiers and marines were lacking in the mental facilities. I'm sure they saw airmen as wusses too. So I guess it all works out.