• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

By Chuck Baldwin....P.S. 200 million rounds of .40-caliber ammo

American Patriot

imported post

http://www.chuckbaldwinlive.com/chuckwagon.php

P.S. According to one of the most prestigious trade magazines in the firearms industry, (Handguns, February/March, 2010), "Winchester secured a Homeland Security contract for up to 200 million rounds of .40 S&W, ammo that will be used by Immigration, Customs and Enforcement [ICE]."

I dare say that there is no way that ICE could burn through 200 million rounds of handgun ammunition anytime in the foreseeable future. Good grief! They barely even load their handguns, much less actually fire them. Or are they such bad shots that they need that much practice? As someone said, "I smell a rat!" What exactly does DHS plan to do with 200 million rounds of .40-caliber ammunition? That is a question every American should want answered.

In the meantime, if you have a .40 S&W-caliber handgun, you might want to stock up on ammo now, because price is fixing to skyrocket and availability is fixing to dwindle--again. As they say, a word to the wise.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GPCK_enUS296US296&q=Homeland+Security+200+million+rounds+of+.40+S%26W+ammo.........................................................

I wonder if there is any possible connection with the Health Care that is being passed? Both are tied to Homeland Security. :shock:

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

here is the handguns magazine article link, just a quick mention: http://www.handgunsmag.com/HG_industryintel_200912/index.html

and here with more details from Winchester:

http://www.winchester.com/library/news/Pages/Winchester-Awarded-Contract.aspx

Looks like a five year contract and this announcement was made back in August, so this is old news and prices on .40 S&W (from winchester) are still pretty good but that could change.

You should be stocking up on ammo anyway, but this bullet is an uncatalogued ballistic profile

If prices do go up, it will be because Winchester must be shifting production to meet the contract. Last year they also announced a contract they won to provide .40 S&W ammo for various uses by the FBI.

jdgypsy

was Meridian ID, just moved to Killeen, Texas, USA
imported post

American Patriot wrote:

P.S. According to one of the most prestigious trade magazines in the firearms industry, (Handguns, February/March, 2010), "Winchester secured a Homeland Security contract for up to 200 million rounds of .40 S&W, ammo that will be used by Immigration, Customs and Enforcement [ICE]."

I dare say that there is no way that ICE could burn through 200 million rounds of handgun ammunition anytime in the foreseeable future. Good grief! They barely even load their handguns, much less actually fire them. Or are they such bad shots that they need that much practice? As someone said, "I smell a rat!" What exactly does DHS plan to do with 200 million rounds of .40-caliber ammunition? That is a question every American should want answered.

In the meantime, if you have a .40 S&W-caliber handgun, you might want to stock up on ammo now, because price is fixing to skyrocket and availability is fixing to dwindle--again. As they say, a word to the wise.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GPCK_enUS296US296&q=Homeland+Security+200+million+rounds+of+.40+S%26W+ammo.........................................................

I wonder if there is any possible connection with the Health Care that is being passed? Both are tied to Homeland Security. :shock:

Glad I recieved a Lee Press for my B-day a few months ago. With a set of 40S&W Dies, I am ready to go. As long as I can get my hands on some factory ammo for carry, I am good. Recommend reloading to all if you haven't started yet.

ocgso

imported post

jdgypsy wrote:
American Patriot wrote:

Glad I recieved a Lee Press for my B-day a few months ago. With a set of 40S&W Dies, I am ready to go. As long as I can get my hands on some factory ammo for carry, I am good. Recommend reloading to all if you haven't started yet.

Ditto on reloading, I have 8,000 rounds that I have handloaded over 5 calibers. Great savings.

Word to the wise, make sure to keep a years worth of primer/powder on the shelf at ALL TIMES, because sometimes these things get scarce in the production cycle:what: and you will be without ammo if you don't have a stockpile.

Also a good reason to have carry arms in multiple calibers, that way if one gets scarce (380 perhaps, cough, cough) you have other options for practice and carry. Sometimes having a gun chambered in a less popular round pays off when things like this happen.

UtahRSO

imported post

American Patriot wrote:
Somewhere I remember reading (and I can't remember just where) that the Border Patrol (which is part of ICE) is involved in more shootings than any other LE agency. Yes, 200 million is a lot of ammo to burn in a 5-year period, and even if they do shoot a lot it's still a big stretch to think they could shoot that much, but I'll bet they do have their guns loaded and use them a goodly amount.

ocgso

imported post

UtahRSO wrote:
Somewhere I remember reading (and I can't remember just where) that the Border Patrol (which is part of ICE) is involved in more shootings than any other LE agency. Yes, 200 million is a lot of ammo to burn in a 5-year period, and even if they do shoot a lot it's still a big stretch to think they could shoot that much, but I'll bet they do have their guns loaded and use them a goodly amount.

Also remember that many agencies have qualifying requirements/practice requirements that they provide ammunition for. If ICE requires officers to run through a box a month and score the target, that could make a difference.

I know Greensboro PD requires officers to qualify and complete their official practices with the ammunition that they carry in the gun.

Still I agree 200 million rounds is a huge amount. Figure that if each agent must fire a box a month, that is 600 rounds per year, or 3,000 rounds per officer in a 5 year window.

That would equal 66,667 agents in ICE. I doubt they have that many agents, and I doubt that any agency would fire a box a month.

More waste, no accountability :banghead::banghead::banghead:

How much of it do you think they will sell as surplus after 5 years because it is too old and they don't want to fire it? Good news is surplus ammo is cheap, bad news is that it's cheap because we already paid for it once :cuss:

My 2 cents

Dreamer

imported post

Most LEOs (local AND Federal) only have to qualify with their firearms annually.

Federal Air Marshals have had their Marksmanship Qualification Test waived, as of 2002, in order to get more Marshals out in the field.

And most of these annual Quals for feds are based on the FLETC standard course, which is 50 rounds. ICE uses it's own additional standard, which is also a 50-round course. The old Air Marshal course was a 60-round course, I believe. FBI their own course, which is VERY different from FLETC standards, and is by most accounts, considerably more demanding...

But the idea that ICE can justify 6000 rounds annually per agent just for Quals and field use is absurd. Maybe if they are issuing their agents practice rounds, they will use that much ammo, but most agencies don't supply practice rounds, unless it's part of official training...

ocgso

imported post

I know our local LEO only qualify annually, so I know what you are saying.

The point of my post is, that even with that insane amount of rounds per agent, they don't have that many agents.

More government waste.