• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need info on carrying while I'm driving through SC on the way to Va.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Hi everyone,

I'll be driving home through SC tomorrow to Va. I have my handgun and have Va. resident permit so I know that I'm covered with reciprocity. I don't plan on making any stops on the way home other than for food and fuel along the highway (heading back to Va.).

Can anyone give me a quick and dirty on SC. laws that I need to know? I'll probably carry concealed more than anything.

Hef

imported post

Anyone who can legally buy a handgun can keep a handgun in their vehicle in SC, loaded or unloaded, as long as it's in the glovebox, center console, or a container with an integral locking fastener.

SC permits concealed carry only.

Can't carry anywhere alcohol is sold for on-premise consumption, or any place posted according to the signage statute. Highway rest stops are OK. Government buildings are not, nor medical offices and hospitals.

If you get pulled over you must inform the officer that you're carrying and produce your permit.

You can look up all the statutes at http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/statmast.htm

hotrod08

imported post

I will be visiting SC soon and I do NOT have a CC Permit With that said I understand you have to carry your handgun in the dash, My ? is does the dash have to be locked?
And if so what do you do if your dash don't lock?

And do you inform the LEO you have it?

hp-hobo

imported post

hotrod8812 wrote:
I will be visiting SC soon and I do NOT have a CC Permit With that said I understand you have to carry your handgun in the dash, My ? is does the dash have to be locked?
And if so what do you do if your dash don't lock?

And do you inform the LEO you have it?

Anyone who may lawfully possess a handgun can carry it in the passenger compartmenttheir car as long as it is stored in a closed glove compartment or closed console, IAW 16-23-20(9)(a). Disclosure is not required.

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:
(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance; or

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.htm

Be aware there are places you cannot carry your weapon inside your car such as military bases, government buildings (parking garages), school property, etc. Theabove link will provide you with all the info you need. I suggest printing it (it's also available as a word doc) and keeping it on hand for reference.

Have a safe trip.

blairellis

imported post

So am I understanding this right? I am not able to have my gun on my person in a holster even if I have a concealed weapons permit (MI resident currently which has reciprocity with SC) but only in the glovebox (only place my gun will fit in my car)?

hp-hobo

imported post

blairellis wrote:
So am I understanding this right? I am not able to have my gun on my person in a holster even if I have a concealed weapons permit (MI resident currently which has reciprocity with SC) but only in the glovebox (only place my gun will fit in my car)?
No. The information provided above states how anyone who may lawfully possess a handgun can carry in their vehicle regardless of CWP status. Example; I have a CWP so I generally carry a sidearm on my person while driving AND a handgun in the console. One way I'm carrying pursuant to my CWP, the other way is pursuant to16-23-20(9)(a).

The information you seek is contained in 23-31, Article 4. It's long so I'll just link it;

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.htm

PT111

imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
blairellis wrote:
No. The information provided above states how anyone who may lawfully possess a handgun can carry in their vehicle regardless of CWP status. Example; I have a CWP so I generally carry a sidearm on my person while driving AND a handgun in the console. One way I'm carrying pursuant to my CWP, the other way is pursuant to16-23-20(9)(a).

The information you seek is contained in 23-31, Article 4. It's long so I'll just link it;

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.htm
Your informtion is right on and because SC does not have OC in public places lots of people get confused on how liberal our other laws are. You included Disclosure is not required in your previous post and that is correct. However that may be easily confused as if you have a CWP and are carrying on your person you do have to inform that you are carrying. If you have it in your glove box or console you do not have to inform but be sure if you are stopped that you don't go reaching into it for something else. A lawyer told me years ago that if he was stopped he would immediately say "Officer, I have a gun in my glove box, I do not plan to use it as I want to go home tonight and I am sure you also want to. How do you want me to proceed?"

hp-hobo

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Your informtion is right on and because SC does not have OC in public places lots of people get confused on how liberal our other laws are. You included Disclosure is not required in your previous post and that is correct. However that may be easily confused as if you have a CWP and are carrying on your person you do have to inform that you are carrying. If you have it in your glove box or console you do not have to inform but be sure if you are stopped that you don't go reaching into it for something else. A lawyer told me years ago that if he was stopped he would immediately say "Officer, I have a gun in my glove box, I do not plan to use it as I want to go home tonight and I am sure you also want to. How do you want me to proceed?"
Really? How could it get confused based on the context of that particular post? That was in response to a question specifically about someone without a CWP. The question was even quoted. It was clearly defined that we were talking about carrying in a vehicle pursuant to 16-23-20(9)(a), not pursuant to a CWP.

So, how could anyone reading what I wrote get it confused?

BTW, the opinion that the lawyer gave you is just that... His opinion. In my experience most lawyers will tell you to offer no information that you are not legally required to, the less said the better. If I were to get stopped, I would ID my carry weapon. The cop doesn't have a right or a need to know about anything else in the vehicle.

Just say no to fishing expeditions.

PT111

imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
PT111 wrote:
Really? How could it get confused based on the context of that particular post? That was in response to a question specifically about someone without a CWP. The question was even quoted. It was clearly defined that we were talking about carrying in a vehicle pursuant to 16-23-20(9)(a), not pursuant to a CWP.

So, how could anyone reading what I wrote get it confused?

BTW, the opinion that the lawyer gave you is just that... His opinion. In my experience most lawyers will tell you to offer no information that you are not legally required to, the less said the better. If I were to get stopped, I would ID my carry weapon. The cop doesn't have a right or a need to know about anything else in the vehicle.

Just say no to fishing expeditions.

Sorry, the discussion was when he went to get his registration and insurance out of the glove box, not just when being stopped. Yes you are correct that if there is no probablility that it will be seen or whatever just don't say anything.

Confusion is rampant over what to do when you have a CWP and when you don't and what is required and I thought that I hd copied your comment about:

Disclosure is not required.

However I see that it was left out and that is what I was referring to. Sometimes the process of quoting on this board drives me crazy and I quit and start over completely. Maybe I should have then.

I was just trying to be sure that anyone reading this knew that if you have a permit you must inform but if you don't it is up to you.

I apologize for the confusion.