Thread: Another Unconstitutional Law

Post imported post

Apparently, the KRS has given another state organization "power" to ban weapons. This time, it is the the Kentucky State Fair Board"

KRS 247.145 authorizes the Kentucky State Fair Board to adopt reasonable administrative regulations
    necessary to maintain decency and good order, to protect the peace or safety of the general public, or to protect
    the public interest,
    Section 3. No person is licensed to enter or remain in any building or stadium owned or operated by the
    Kentucky State Fair Board while in possession of a firearm or other deadly weapon (as defined
    in KRS 500.080(4)), regardless of whether such person would be licensed to enter such building
    if he did not possess such firearm, provided that this section shall not apply to a peace officer
    who is permitted by law to carry such weapon concealed or who is carrying such a weapon in the
    line of duty.

Am I reading this right? The KRS website is down right now, so I can't look it up. I got this info from handgunlaw.us It may be another instance of a KRS giving the "power" to a state board to create a KAR to ban guns.

Post imported post

The constitution only allows the restriction of concealed carry and they know that. I think this charge(violation of 247.145)would fail in court but it seems a few phone calls to the legislators is in order. This statute has been in effect for about 40 + years but the max penalty is only 10 days in jail .
    He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent which will reach to himself. -- Thomas Paine (1737--1809), Dissertation on First Principles of Government, 1795

Post imported post

Apparently the Kentucky Supreme court decided in 1983 that the General Assembly can regulate open carry, see this post for more details.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum25/36237.html

Well that's according to our Attorney State General anyway, I haven't looked into the actual case referenced by him yet.