• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HCP reciprocity question

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

According to http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php TN honors out-of-state HCPs from most other states.

Is there anything stopping someone from applying for a non-resident HCP permit in another state, and then using that to avoid the outrageous testing/taxing in TN? For example, NH doesn't require any tests, and has minimal taxes on their permits (I think it might be $20 for non-residents).

Also, here in CA we have so many crazy laws we have a special website dedicated to housing all our research and FAQs. Has anybody done something like this for TN? I may be visiting TN soon, and wanted to know what to expect.

Thanks in advance.

Fallguy

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Fallguy wrote:
Yes, TN honors all other state's permits. Also nothing in the law says you must be a resident of the state your permit is from. EXCEPT, if you are a TN resident you mustget a TN permit within 6 months of becoming a resident.

As far as TN info handgunlaw.us is pretty good. I try to help keep them updated on TN. But here is a page I made on another board as well.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/firearms-law-faq/13408-reference-material-some-basic-questions.html
If you work in Tn on a regular basis and live out of State you must also get a TN permit and cannot rely on your own states permit to carry if there is no reciprocity. TCA 39-17-1351(r)(3)(c)(i)

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not big on taking tests and paying taxes in order to exercise my rights, so I guess I'll just carry my pocket knife and hope all goes well... or maybe just nix the entire visit.

I was surprised to find that, without a permit, TN law is worse than CA law! You Tennesseans have your work cut out for you in the struggle to restore your liberty.

Thanks again for the prompt replies.

suntzu

imported post

And if for some reason your TN permit is denied then the state will not allow you to carry on an out of state permit either...

suntzu

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not big on taking tests and paying taxes in order to exercise my rights, so I guess I'll just carry my pocket knife and hope all goes well... or maybe just nix the entire visit.

I was surprised to find that, without a permit, TN law is worse than CA law! You Tennesseans have your work cut out for you in the struggle to restore your liberty.

Thanks again for the prompt replies.
Yes, TN is not the brightest state when it comes to gun laws. I keep writing my reps asking them to pass a bill allowing unrestricted carry without a permit. I don't hold my breath of course, but I keep hoping.

Here it is all about the money and nothing else.

Handgunonly

imported post

I like the TN testing it assure me that the individual carrying at least is somewhat able to shoot straight. Other then the max. of $100 for the course there isn't any other taxing. I don't know of a single state that does charge a fee for the permit it's like a car lic. tab. fee if you want to drive pay the fee, if you want to carry pay the fee.