• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shameful support of ‘pro-gun’ laws in state legislature.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

[align=left]Re: Jeremy M. Lazarus’ article, “Gun toters at City Hall,” Dec. 10-12 edition:[/align]
[align=left]Mr. Lazarus reported that on Nov. 23, 10 men showed up at the Richmond City Council meeting, some “brazenly” displaying their weapons. Several council members were quoted: “I was very uncomfortable,” “It wasn’t appropriate,” “I wasn’t very happy.” Each council member lamented, one way or another, that something ought to be done. Councilman E. Martin “Marty” Jewell stated: “We ought to be able to turn them away” while Councilman Bruce Tyler wondered, aloud, “Do I need a bulletproof vest?”[/align]
[align=left]Unfortunately, Council President Kathy C.Graziano was accurate when she stated: “I don’t think there is much we can do about it.” Normally, Section 15.2-1425 of the Code of Virginia would be the statute that would give the Richmond City Council (and other local governing bodies) the authority to “do something.” This code section states, simply: “The governing body of every locality in the performance of its duties, obligations, functions may adopt, as appropriate, ordinances, resolutions and motions.” However, sadly, the legislature also passed Section 15.2-915, which took away local government’s authority when it comes to possessing, transferring, transporting, etc. guns. Section 15.2- 915 and its companion statute, Section 15.2-915.1 (which preventscities and counties fromsuing gun manufacturers), are indefensible and need to be repealed as they unfairly and, many would say, unconstitutionally, restrict the authority of local governing bodies.[/align]
[align=left]Inexplicably, there are some gun proponents in the legislature who are truly desirous of putting as many guns in as many hands, and as often, as possible. These same legislators have stood up in the Virginia House of Delegates and proposed the following: Allowing students and teachers to carry guns on college campuses and buildings; allowing delegates to arm themselves on the floor of the Virginia House of Delegates; and allowing patrons to carry concealed weapons into bars where alcohol is served.[/align]
[align=left]It is interesting that several of these “progun” members of the House of Delegates also have repeatedly espoused views that favor limited government and “getting out of the way” when it comes to allowing local governmental bodies to fulfill their respective duties and obligations. However, when it comes to guns, it appears that these same legislators have no hesitation in enacting laws that interfere with these same local governmental bodies. This is truly a shame.[/align]
[align=left]JOSEPH D. MORRISSEY[/align]
[align=left]Henrico County[/align]

[align=left]The writer is a member of the Virginia House[/align]

of Delegates who represents the 74th District.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You can see the Morrissey's LTE to the Racist Free Press here:

http://www.richmondfreepress.com/news/currentPageA.pdf

I alerted members some time ago that the Racist Free Press will take an issue and they will harp on it. They don't like our freedoms and the pale faces that they saw in city council excercising those freedoms. The Free Press wants legislation to ban our freedoms and they have found their chump.

Morrissey is their chump. I'll wager that he proposes legislation or gets on board with legislation that restricts our right to carry.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

This from a man with so violent a temper that he actually attacked a fellow lawyer in the courtroom. This is a rare occurrence for the very worst criminals, and unheard of by an elected offical representing the people of the Commonwealth.
Morrissey also attacked and attempted to kill a man at his home.

After the attack and subsequent sanctions, Mr. Morrissey left the country for a time. One can only guess that it was to let the public have time to forget his actions. It must have worked.

The simple fact is that Morrissey is a dangerous flake. To listen to him spew law and order is akin to hearing temperance and fairness from a white supremacy leader.

He has no business in the legislature and his very existence there is a sad reminder that few good people are willing to run for office. All that's left in cases like this, is the trash like our esteemed Joe Morrissey.

http://news.oldva.org/blogroll/deligate-morrissey-a-dangerous-person/
On July 3, 1999, Morrissey, an attorney and former Commonwealth Attorney, Tr. 412-413 stated to Wycoff, I m going to kill you. I m going to beat your head in, 

morr2-1.jpg

wylde007

imported post

[align=left]
It is interesting that several of these “progun” members of the House of Delegates also have repeatedly espoused views that favor limited government and “getting out of the way” when it comes to allowing local governmental bodies to fulfill their respective duties and obligations. However, when it comes to guns, it appears that these same legislators have no hesitation in enacting laws that interfere with these same local governmental bodies.
[/align][align=left]These delegates are making sure that local municipalities do not pass onerous and restrictive ILLEGAL ordinances which attempt to abrogate or infringe on our sovereign rights.
[/align][align=left]
This is truly a shame.
[/align][align=left]It is truly a shame that such cowardly, duplicitous and conniving degenerate could be elected to public office, likely on the premise of being the "lesser of two evils". I shudder to think of what the "other" guy's record is like.
[/align]

Repeater

imported post

peter nap wrote:
This from a man with so violent a temper that he actually attacked a fellow lawyer in the courtroom. This is a rare occurrence for the very worst criminals, and unheard of by an elected offical representing the people of the Commonwealth.
Morrissey also attacked and attempted to kill a man at his home.

After the attack and subsequent sanctions, Mr. Morrissey left the country for a time. One can only guess that it was to let the public have time to forget his actions. It must have worked.
Well, not really:

More on Morrissey Down Under

A former Richmond commonwealth's attorney and notorious defense lawyer here, Morrissey was stripped of his license to practice law by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit in 2002 for unprofessional conduct.

He left his firm and moved to Sydney where he quickly became a star. He made the front-page news in The Sydney Morning Herald Aug. 25 when reporter Stephen Gibbs discovered Morrissey had failed to disclose matters of his previous employ — namely, that he'd been disbarred — when he was appointed as the first mentor to help Australia's 100 Crown prosecutors (the equivalent of district attorneys).

After the article appeared citing Morrissey's obfuscations, Tedeschi's support, along with that of other barristers, was withdrawn. In a follow-up article March 9, Gibbs writes: "But being instantly famous in Sydney legal circles is not the same as being of good fame and character, and soon, Mr. Tedeschi learnt to his horror that back in Richmond, what Morrissey had most was infamy."

ChinChin

imported post

So it can be safely said that representative Morrissey has attacked and assaulted more people than the majority of gun owners he speaks out against.

His fists have taken out more people than my firearm has.

va_tazdad

imported post

As I recall, "fighting Joe" scatted after losing 2 fully automatic guns. One from his office, and a 2nd one from his unlocked car.

After being disbarred and fleeing the country in disgrace, he returned and was elected by Henrico County as a State Representative? :banghead:

Why do we keep electing tax cheats and other assorted criminals to represent us?

Just glad I live in Chesterfield County. :celebrate

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

va_tazdad wrote:
As I recall, "fighting Joe" scatted after losing 2 fully automatic guns. One from his office, and a 2nd one from his unlocked car.

After being disbarred and fleeing the country in disgrace, he returned and was elected by Henrico County as a State Representative? :banghead:

Why do we keep electing tax cheats and other assorted criminals to represent us?

You think Chesterfield County's elected officials are beyond reproach? haha, pull up a chair and sit a while....

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
va_tazdad wrote:

You think Chesterfield County's elected officials are beyond reproach? haha, pull up a chair and sit a while....
I was thinking the same thing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
You mean I cannot expect to be kissed? :?

Anybody want to buy a shopping center located on prime land?

Yata hey

va_tazdad

imported post

peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
va_tazdad wrote:

LOL I never thought Chesterfield politicians were any better, but I don't recall any of them being dumb enough to "lose" not one, but two fully automatic pistols and expect the public to continue believing them.

Joe was, is, and always will be a politician of the quality of Marrion Barry and Chuck Richardson. (Nothing is his fault)

We, as Americans,get what we deserve in our elected officials. Just look at the record of Richmond Mayors or Chesterfield Supervisors for starters.

All I am saying is I am glad he is Henrico County's problem. He is not to be depended upon or trusted. :banghead:

Repeater

imported post

va_tazdad wrote:
peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
va_tazdad wrote:

Joe was, is, and always will be a politician of the quality of Marrion Barry and Chuck Richardson. (Nothing is his fault)

We, as Americans,get what we deserve in our elected officials. Just look at the record of Richmond Mayors or Chesterfield Supervisors for starters.

All I am saying is I am glad he is Henrico County's problem. He is not to be depended upon or trusted. :banghead:
Mike Gage was Morrissey's opponent.
216.29884851_std.JPG

Apparently, the citizens of the 74[sup]th[/sup] District prefer Joe to Mike.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Repeater wrote:
va_tazdad wrote:
peter nap wrote:

Mike Gage was Morrissey's opponent.

Apparently, the citizens of the 74[sup]th[/sup] District prefer Joe to Mike.
Little Joe Morrissey spent 21 times the money on his last campaign. :shock:

What ever for?

http://www.vpap.org/candidates/profile/elections/5431

Yata hey

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

va_tazdad wrote:
peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
va_tazdad wrote:

LOL I never thought Chesterfield politicians were any better, but I don't recall any of them being dumb enough to "lose" not one, but two fully automatic pistols and expect the public to continue believing them.

They don't lose them, they just give them away to people who shouldn't have them...

oops...did I say that out loud?

Repeater

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Little Joe Morrissey spent 21 times the money on his last campaign. :shock:

What ever for?

http://www.vpap.org/candidates/profile/elections/5431

Yata hey
Well, look at his donor list.

They chose to shower Joe with lots of Moolah, giving Joe a license to spend.

Perhaps some of these donors are anti self-defense as well.

Such as the Top Donor for 2009, the IBEW:

IVP4.jpg

International Vice-President, District 4
SalvatoreJ.Chilia

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Apparently Mr. Morrissey hasn't yet had time to read the Virginia Constitution, Article I, Section 13.

Ric in Richmond

imported post

Joe support by Industry Sector

$26,250 Organized Labor
$16,450 Health Care
$16,275 Law
$10,374 Business - Retail, Services
$9,770 Energy, Natural Resources
$6,250 Real Estate/Construction
$4,500 Transportation
$3,250 Finance, Insurance
$3,150 Undetermined
$3,000 Public Employees
$2,650 Technology, Communication
$2,250 Agriculture
$1,600 Political
$1,175 Miscellaneous
$500 Manufacturing
$-2,250 Candidate Self-Financing

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

N6ATF wrote:
user wrote:
Apparently Mr. Morrissey hasn't yet had time to read the Virginia Constitution, Article I, Section 13.
Actually, he has all the time in the world, since it's on his toilet paper.

Maybe he can't read.

No, all seriousness aside, it bothered me that he raised the possibility that the State's control of its creations, the local governments, might be "unconstitutional"; but if he was so worried about what's constitutional and what isn't he'd be working for a complete repeal of all gun restrictions.