• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wizards point guard Gilbert Arenas stored firearms in his locker

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

.......You (Arenas) can do whatever you like........You can do whatever you like..........Yeah!!!!! Store three guns in the Verizon Center........Keep 'em warm in the winter........You can do whatever you like......You can do whatever you like........Yeah!!! LoL!!!

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!:X

hunter45

imported post

Pollin Family Statement:

We want to take a moment to address our Wizards fans and the public. The situation involving an incident in the locker room is troubling to our family, our organization and our fans. We know our fans are frustrated and angry. The fact that guns were brought to the Verizon Center is dangerous and disappointing and showed extremely poor judgment. Guns have absolutely no place in a workplace environment and we will take further steps to ensure this never happens again. While the police investigation proceeds, we are limited in what we can say, but we want our fans to know that we will not rest until this situation is resolved and has come to a satisfactory conclusion. On behalf of the Wizards organization, we want to thank our fans for their support during this very difficult time.

------

I don't like the "Guns have absolutely no place in a workplace environment" comment.

PT111

imported post

There is a lot more to this story than ArenaS just having guns in his locker. It appears that he is going to be facing some serious charges and being an NBA star may not cut it. If the stories are true here it appears that there is nore than just one goof with a gun involved.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gz3kqsSe0zhLgBnyBV7zmtuW4qcg

Wizards star Gilbert Arenas won't be able to laugh off repercussions from cops and the league
By Jim Litke (CP) – 3 hours ago

What apparently began as a practical joke would have turned out a lot funnier if only Gilbert Arenas brought a squirt gun to work instead of the real thing.

Now there's no laughing it off.

The Wizards star is scheduled to meet Monday with law-enforcement authorities to present his side of the story about a locker-room dispute with teammate Javaris Crittenton nearly two weeks ago. Not only does Washington, D.C., have some of the strictest handgun laws in the nation, but federal authorities are investigating as well.

Yet even if Arenas's legal headaches end there, he still could face a lengthy suspension from NBA commissioner David Stern and tempt the Wizards to invoke a morals clause in the standard NBA player contract and seek to void the remainder of a six-year, US$111-million deal signed in 2008.

"I know Gilbert is a good guy," Pacers guard T.J. Ford said. "I don't think, like he said in his statement, that he was trying to hurt anybody."

Probably not.

But Arenas has already tarnished his image as one of pro basketball's more entertaining and eccentric personalities, and put the league on the spot. The NBA's gun culture is no more prevalent than that of other leagues, nor the population in general, yet every time an athlete gets caught with a weapon, the publicity feeds the public notion that officials are incapable of policing their players.

That perception, in part, led to the NBA's toughened antigun stance in the collective bargaining agreement, which bars league personnel from bringing weapons to league property, sites or charitable events.

Arenas has already admitted bringing three unloaded firearms to the Verizon Center - to get them out of the house and away from his kids - and storing them in a locked container. According to Yahoo! Sports, he took them out of the container before a Dec. 21 practice and laid the guns on a chair, then told Crittenton to choose one and make good on a threat that stemmed from a card game on a late-night flight from Phoenix back to Washington two days earlier.

As the game got more expensive, Crittenton joked about what could happen to people who didn't honour their debts. Arenas has a well-deserved reputation as a prankster and laying out the guns apparently was his way of trying to diffuse any lingering tension between the two.

Instead, the gesture enraged Crittenton. According to a New York Post report, Arenas and Crittenton wound up drawing guns on each other.

"I can't speak on that," Arenas said Saturday. "But if you know me, you've been here, I've never did anything (involving) violence. Anything I do is funny - well, it's funny to me."

Asked if the accounts of what happened have been blown out of proportion, Arenas laughed and said: "A little."

His standing with the Wizards was already shaky. Arenas missed almost two seasons because of knee surgery, and his problems with former coach Eddie Jordan have only exacerbated under new coach Flip Saunders. Arenas' production barely justified his selfishness in seasons past, but he hardly resembles the scorer he was then.

Teammates who tolerated Arenas once now find him frustrating.

His defenders say the needling, as well as the need to laugh everything off, is Arenas' way of coping - with insecurity, a tough childhood and being overlooked at the start of both his college and pro careers.

"I'm a goof ball and that's what I am, so even doing something like this, I'm going to make fun of it and that's how I am," Arenas said. "Some people say I'm not taking it serious, but why be depressed at home when I can just make myself laugh?"

The problem with gunplay, though, is that it's never funny and that a casual attitude toward violence only encourages more of the same. Arenas has already been suspended once, after pleading no contest to misdemeanour weapons and vehicle charges following a traffic stop in California 2003; he sat out Washington's season opener in 2004.

No matter how this latest incident is handled by authorities, Arenas should know better than to expect leniency this time around.

Another former NBA player got off easy the first time he, too, was charged with a weapons violation, lecturing schoolkids and taking out ads in the local newspaper touting gun safety.

His name is Jayson Williams. As you read this, he is scheduled to be retried on a reckless manslaughter charge in the shooting death of a limousine driver during a party at his home

ianto94

imported post

Shovelhead wrote:
He has now been charged with FELONY gun posession without a permit.
The actual charge is carrying a hand gun without a license. Apparently the view is he carried a gun (actual four of them) in setting up his so-called practical joke. Of course you cannot obtain a license to carry in DC. At least not yet. That may change based on the pending Palmer v. DC case.

9MM Owner

imported post

ianto94 wrote:
Shovelhead wrote:
He has now been charged with FELONY gun posession without a permit.
The actual charge is carrying a hand gun without a license. Apparently the view is he carried a gun (actual four of them) in setting up his so-called practical joke. Of course you cannot obtain a license to carry in DC. At least not yet. That may change based on the pending Palmer v. DC case.
SO, if he was charged for gun posession without a permit by DC and DC doesn't offer a permit, can he file charges against DC since they don't offer any kind of apermit? That almost sounds like a bogus charge.

mlands

imported post

The gambling with guns comments reminded me of what was said on the old western TV show Maverick. The TV character Maverick said one time in an episode. "No guns? Well, gambling without guns is like shuffling cards without thumbs." I laughed at that comment because that was the mindset back then. However in Gilbert's case his sentencing should be to go to good gun saftey classes. He needs to learn that you never point a gun at a person, even in fun, unless its life or death. Gilbert's ignorance hurts some of the hard work some people are doing with getting pro gun bills moving forward.

Shovelhead

imported post

WASHINGTON - Suspended Washington Wizards star Gilbert Arenas was sentenced to spend 30 days in a halfway house Friday after pleading guilty in January to a gun charge.

Arenas was also sentenced to two years of supervised probation, 400 hours of community service, and a $5,000 fine payable to a crime victims assistance fund. Arenas is required to begin serving his halfway house sentence without five days.

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0310/719644.html

Not too surprised by the outcome. :quirky:banghead:
A 5,000 fine to him is like fining me .25 cents. :quirky

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

Shovelhead wrote:
WASHINGTON - Suspended Washington Wizards star Gilbert Arenas was sentenced to spend 30 days in a halfway house Friday after pleading guilty in January to a gun charge.

Arenas was also sentenced to two years of supervised probation, 400 hours of community service, and a $5,000 fine payable to a crime victims assistance fund. Arenas is required to begin serving his halfway house sentence without five days.

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0310/719644.html

Not too surprised by the outcome. :quirky:banghead:
A 5,000 fine to him is like fining me .25 cents. :quirky

I guess I was almost right. :shock:A half-way house is not prison (jail), but he doesn't have his freedom, either. :banghead:

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!:X